AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: London coverage  (Read 16555 times)

Jeremy

• Jeremy
London coverage
« on: July 12, 2009, 12:15:27 PM »
I seem to get very little network coverage over London and west to Heathrow. I would have thought that there would be plenty of RBs active. Is there anyway one can see who is connected to the server at any one time, therefore, work out the coverage of the network?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: London coverage
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 12:21:08 PM »
http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network2.php shows active locations.

Red pins are real locations.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »
Interesting. The blue pins are taken from the IP address? Surely that must be the address of the ISP. There are very few red pins around which would explain the patchy coverage I have from the server in the London area.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:48:02 PM »
London has very good coverage Jeremy.

On certain days even heathrow ground traffic is seen. What is your location Jeremy as we think probally your getting signals (albeit Mode-S ones) from that area and hence any traffic downloaded from the network is ignored if you are picking it up.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 02:57:14 PM »
Newbury and yes, I do cover that area but probably not low down. Sometimes I lose the final approach into Heathrow. I can see half a stack at Biggin, half a stack at Lambourne and nothing approaching Heathrow on finals at the moment with the network down. I do see a little more with the network but not always. I do dee the ground traffic from the netwrk. Will my direct signals supress all the network signals in the rx area or just shared data?
J. 1557
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »
Whats happening is that your probally getting Mode-S signals from those aircraft hence they are not shown.

You can test this your self by either disconnecting your antenna and then viewing the network traffic, it should cover London well.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 03:46:40 PM »
Yes. You are right. I can see a little more with the antenna disconnected. So the direct mode-s signals are overiding the database signals and therfore taken off the screen. I see this also happening over Gatwick.
I have a feeling you are going to recommend that I add a pre-amp to increase my range so that I rely more on direct signals! I don't really want to do that!
I will see if I can get a better idea of at what height I lose the direct signal.
It is a shame that there is a clash between the two methods of input. Discuss.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

radarspotter10

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »
Interesting. The blue pins are taken from the IP address? Surely that must be the address of the ISP. There are very few red pins around which would explain the patchy coverage I have from the server in the London area.
J.
hi.
i said this before forget about ip address i live in ireland if you follow my ip addresses it will give you, IP Address Location: Edinburgh, Edinburgh, City of United Kingdom
or mybe york or ouside london.i am with bt
from pat

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 04:28:21 PM »
I'm just north of Heathrow and I'm sharing data and I can see traffic almost down to touchdown.  I've put the altitude filter in to only see traffic below 15,000 ft otherwise it's just too cluttered.  You should be able to see what I can see.

Tramline

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
I'm just north of Heathrow and I'm sharing data and I can see traffic almost down to touchdown.  I've put the altitude filter in to only see traffic below 15,000 ft otherwise it's just too cluttered.  You should be able to see what I can see.

I'm two miles South of LHR and also share data.  With the use of the supplied standard antenna I get flights arr/dep LHR from about 200 feet.   I don't tend to filter but will if the weather is poor and only LHR traffic is visible.
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 02:45:05 PM »
Further observations today. Traffic looked a little thin so I checked on the real time network map. There are only half a dozen stations shown active around Heathrow annot much around Gatwick. If those had an outside antenna then coverage should be OK but it could be they are on the small mag mount in which case coverage could be patchy, like this afternoon.
What we need is for more people to leave their RBs on during the day or for Airnav to give us an insentive to provide data for the database. Free upload allows free download??
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 02:59:27 PM »
I am definetly seeing a little more traffic in these areas with database connected and outside ae disconnected. Presumably this is the clash of data Tech support suggested. If the 5 mins delay was not there then it probably would not happen! Why the 5 mins delay? If security was a problem then we as individuals would not be allowed to see direct surely?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

eggplant

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »
I live roughly between Newbury and Heathrow, and leave my RB on 24/7. However, I do not share the flight data. Call me a Victor Meldrew, but when I bought the RB, the deal was I get one year of network data reception inclusive, i.e part of my cash has paid for access to the network data.  I can't see any incentive for me to offer my network data to all and sundry FOC ! When my one years worth of rarely used access to network data expires I will continue to not share my own network data - that is unless Airnav can think of a way to persuade me otherwise !!  Bah! Humbug !

Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 09:33:23 PM »
Kind of you to share those thoughts with us, Victor ;-)

Rod
Rod

eggplant

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 09:35:17 PM »
Kind of you to share those thoughts with us, Victor ;-)

Rod

Not sure if that was sarcasm ????
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.