anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: London coverage  (Read 16551 times)

eggplant

Re: London coverage
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 09:36:25 PM »
Must have been - Bah HUMBUG !!!!
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

eggplant

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 10:02:34 PM »
I mean its almost like Pyramid selling isn't it ??  Airnav being at the top of the Pyramid. Only difference is the chap tempting you to invest in this bizarre scheme doesn't even pretend to offer you anything back, so I suppose it is worse in some ways. I suppose you can't blame a fool if they decide to throw their money away under the persuasion of the equivalent of a respected "friend! - but that does not make it correct !

And with that profound statement I shall now replace my soapbox in its orignal orifice, sign off, and go to bed with the good respectable Mrs Meldrew,

Neither I, nor Mrs. Meldrew, got were we are today by sharing our network data. Oh no.

Victor "I don't believe it !" Meldrew
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 10:20:56 PM »
So Victor, don't share your data, but at least be happy about it!

Are you the sort of guy who drives at dusk without any lights because they don't help you to see any better - never mind all the others on the road - lol

I share my data all the time that RB is running, even though I don't tend to use the Network data when I'm at the work location near Heathrow - I tend to filter out the traffic above 15000 ft too and zoom in so that I can see the Heathrow arrivals and departures and the 4 holds in detail.

eggplant

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 10:35:44 PM »
Oi ! - I'm not that bad... I sometimes put my side lights on at dusk albeit only when I am in a good mood !
You're lucky to see all four holds, I only get to see half of Bovingdon.
Apologies if my last posts were over the top (they were). In all sincerity, can I ask if you pay for access to network data, and also what is your incentive for sharing your own data ? Is it purely for the airnav community to benefit at your expense ?

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 10:44:16 PM »
Dooes it cost you anything at all to share your data? I don't get charged for uploading. If it does cost you something, perhaps with mobile internet, then I completely sympathise.

Rod
Rod

eggplant

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 11:14:20 PM »
Yes it does cost me. I do not get free internet access. I pay a monthly sum to my ISP for internet access, part of this is of course uploads.

Before this discussion degenerates into an infantile debate, I think the conundrum is that Airnav charge users for using the network service and also charging the same people for being the very substance of the network service. That is the thing I can't quite can't understand at the moment.

Can you explain the reasoning/logic behind this ?

John

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 11:45:51 PM »
I seem to have hit a sensitive nerve here but I think it has some good points to discuss.
 After a year we are charged to download data which we are also submiting for the good of the network free of charge. Without us the network would not exsist. Is this data being used on a conmmercial level for the professional kit?
Having said all this i really appreciate the upgrades, as long as they are good and worthwhile, free.
Perhaps Airnav would like to comment and state their strategy.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 12:20:35 AM »
Jeremy: your question has been explained many times before on this forum. The cheapest and most fair way we could find to have the network feature available and with high reliability to all the users was to charge a minimal fee (just 5 EUR per month for it). An higher value would not be fair for those sharing data and a lower one would not help us with the expenses of maintaining a network of thousands of users daily.

RadarBox Network is the only existing ADS-B network worldwide nowadays, processes more than 5 millions messages per day and tracks over 5000 flights / 8000 aircraft daily. It is a complex work to maintain the server software and hardware that processes this data.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 06:32:45 AM »
Is this data being used on a commercial level for the professional kit?

No.

AirNav have stated categorically that the commercial network is fed from a set of dedicated ground stations (I can't find the post but it's here somewhere) and not from regular sharers' data.

Assuming that's the case, they are to be congratulated - it must have been tempting to use the many enthusiast feeds to bolster the professional network, and it's good that they are resisting that temptation.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

sterigia

• forza paris
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 06:46:18 AM »
and of course we all believe them.....
 nobody gets rich by being honest.
i share anyway because i like seeing what goes on in other places so i think it's only honest to share with others what i see.
ciao
frank
ciao.
frank

Allocator

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 06:53:54 AM »
Yes it does cost me. I do not get free internet access. I pay a monthly sum to my ISP for internet access, part of this is of course uploads.

John,

It's all down to personal choice in the end I guess, but it is little different to all the people on the forum here who give up their time and use their Internet accounts to help out other people.

I'm in the fortunate position where the cost of the Internet connection isn't an issue for me, but time is! - but I'm happy to 'donate' that time to help others here, as I do with the 2 websites that I run on behalf of others.

I hope that you continue to enjoy your RadarBox and benefit from all those here who are giving up their time to help to further develop the software - for the best of the RadarBox community as a whole :-)

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 09:23:14 AM »
Thank you Airnav. I am sorry to ask thje same questions that have been answered before. A damn nuisance these new members!

Allocator - if you can see the four stacks at Heathrow so well why can't we via the network?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Allocator

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 11:40:17 AM »

Allocator - if you can see the four stacks at Heathrow so well why can't we via the network?
J.

Maybe because I don't run RB 24 hours of the day?  Take a look this evening when I've got RB running.  If I deselect live data to only see what the Network is giving, I get an incredible amount of traffic around Heathrow :-)

Have you seen this video tutorial on the AirNav website?  Loads of Network traffic in the London area including Heathrow and Gatwick traffic.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/radarbox/video/Heathrow.wmv

Just a thought, you aren't using any filters to just watch EGLL traffic for example? 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:49:53 AM by Allocator »

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 04:49:04 PM »
Nice video.
No filters.
pic attached at 1745 this PM. Some aircraft seen but nothing out to the east of Heathrow.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 05:54:42 PM »
Jeremy,

Its the exact same reason as before. You are getting some ADS-B contacts in that area although briefly. That area is like a transition zone where you will probally be getting Mode-S signals mostly and then the off ADS-B.

As you are picking up some, if you don't have an external antenna try and get one of those and mast amp and its likely you should be able to see that area from your own antenna.

The network is picking up all the aircraft there but it gets filtered when its used by your software. Any signals you pick up are priority and anything from the same aircraft on the network is then ignored.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]