AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: London coverage  (Read 16550 times)

Jeremy

• Jeremy
Re: London coverage
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2009, 06:25:20 PM »
Thanks Support.
I have an outside aerial, no pre-ap,  and a polor diagram that covers the whole UK.
I am getting puzzled between ADS-B and Mode-s signals. I thought a mode-s signal was a 'packet' within ADS-B.
Is it p[ossible to switch off the priority so I can see either one or the other, without discon the aerial?
Surely, everybody must suffer this at the edges of their receive coverage but they do not know it?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 10:09:01 PM »
I am getting puzzled between ADS-B and Mode-s signals. I thought a mode-s signal was a 'packet' within ADS-B.

Other way round.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2009, 10:59:30 PM »
Explain?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

DaveReid

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2009, 05:53:37 AM »
ADS-B data is contained in a 'packet' within a Mode S transmission.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2009, 08:53:39 PM »
Hi Dave, I'm sure you, Allocator or Tarbat will be able to answer this one (I've tried Search for it, but haven't come up with the answer) - at the bottom of Mylog, it shows number of messages per sec. - what exactly does a message consist of - a certain number of bits/bytes or what?    What constitutes a "packet"
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2009, 09:13:21 PM »
A short explanation from AirNav in this thread:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=271.0

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »
Tried that link, clear as mud to me!    Exactly what data is passed and encoded, sorry if this seems a dumb-arse question, but I'm having a job trying to understand this info., as sometimes it can be tens or even hundreds/.........
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

DaveReid

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2009, 07:42:40 AM »
Tried that link, clear as mud to me!    Exactly what data is passed and encoded, sorry if this seems a dumb-arse question, but I'm having a job trying to understand this info., as sometimes it can be tens or even hundreds/.........

See ICAO Annex 10, Volume IV - Surveillance and Collision Avoidance Systems.

Pages 1-268   :-)

OKC-Steve

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2009, 04:16:01 PM »
Is it possible to switch off the priority so I can see either one or the other, without discon the aerial?
Surely, everybody must suffer this at the edges of their receive coverage but

Obviously you can filter what you hear, but you can't get everyone to stop transmitting.  They all transmit on the same frequency.  ADS-B is an extended Mode-S feature, where the airplanes broadcast their lat/lon and other goodies.  Meanwhile the little puddle jumpers are transmitting Mode-A and Mode-C, and a bunch are transmitting Mode-S without the extended ADS-B.

You could open your window and shout: "Shut Up!"  Youre neighbors might call the hospital on you though...

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2009, 09:25:25 PM »
Hi Dave, thanks for the reference, but £112 for the info. is a bit too much, a couple of quid, yes, but I'm not £112 worth curious!

http://www.afeonline.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=492

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2009, 03:04:28 PM »
Many thanks for that link Steve.    I've saved it as a pdf, so I can read at my leisure and (best of all) no cost!!!

OKC-Steve

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2009, 03:12:22 PM »
No problem.  A lot of the stuff can be ignored, like the 20 pages of altitude bit code and the Collision and Avoidance bo-jive chapter at the end.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2009, 07:48:29 PM »
Traffic in 3 of the 4 holds for EGLL at the moment!

Filters in to only show traffic below 15,000 ft