anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: It's not for me sorry -  (Read 19715 times)

HadNav

Re: It's not for me sorry -
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 04:33:19 AM »
QF1 it's good to see someone with experience of both products. One thing going for the SBS1 is a 3rd party software group and fun. The RadarBox needs to be a bit more open!

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 04:40:13 AM »
HadNav: far from a criticism (this forum is totally open for all opinion) but what do you mean with "The RadarBox needs to be a bit more open!"?

Most of SBS-1 addons can be used with RadarBox too as it has port 30003 available and outputting msgs in the same format as SBS-1.

We will do anything to have our users happy so please let me know your opinion.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »
Most of SBS-1 addons can be used with RadarBox too as it has port 30003 available and outputting msgs in the same format as SBS-1.

Any news on that - last time we were told that it was a work-in-progress and that full compatibility with the SBS socket output was in the pipeline?  (no pun intended).

I understand that add-ons like SquawkBox currently have to use different strategies depending on whether they are being fed from RadarBox's port 30003 output or SBS's.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 08:28:40 AM »
My wish list - local traffic/other user coverage/aircraft photo's/alert tool. I am also using PP with my SBS. I am happy with my setup, but it does take 5mins to get all the programs running  :) My biggest gripe (with SBS) is lack of shared data and no software/firmware roadmap is visible to the end user

Well, Radarbox will satisfy your wish list.  And you can still use Planeplotter with Radarbox.  I'm sharer "pQ" on Planeplotter - see screenshot.  BTW, you don't need to use Photobucket to attach screenshots in the forum, just use the "Attach" section when posting or replying.  For a comparison of coverage in my location between SBS-1 and Radarbox, see http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=450.msg3272#msg3272

Deadcalm

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 09:37:57 AM »
Pilot_ngb, if you look at some of my screenshots, you'll see that I'm almost overwhelmed with live flights in France, let alone networked traffic.  I have no experience of the SBS-1, though.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »
Hi Dave. We will implement the required changes on V2.10.

pilot_ngb

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 05:01:14 PM »
Hello

Here is an image from my SBS. From Newcastle I get great cover well over 200nm North and East. West is approx Wallasey and South is somewhere between MCT and Birmingham.

And I have posted my first ever screen shot with SBS out of the box - she can see the difference.

I guess now that I am have seen more screen shots, the coverage might be similar.

Question - Can I use my external SBS aerial on a radarbox?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 05:30:08 PM »
You will get the same or better coverage with RB. Trust us, if that wasn't the case there would be loads of posts from customers who have moved over saying so but the reality is there isn't.

You can use your SBS antenna with the RB, you will just need a BNC to SMA adapter which you can get from maplins.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 06:13:53 PM »
Question - Can I use my external SBS aerial on a radarbox?

I use the BS1100 SBS-1 external antenna with my RadarBox with the BNC to SMA adaptor.

pilot_ngb

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 09:49:37 PM »
Oh this is so tempting.

Anyone have an email address for Santa?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 10:25:04 PM »

pilot_ngb

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 10:05:07 AM »
is it possible to split the signal coming from the aerial so that I can run on two boxes? Probably a very silly question.

Blackthorn

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 10:10:59 AM »
Splitting the antenna cable will cause reduced reception (Sensitivity).

9M-ISJ

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 07:23:09 AM »
Hi.

I ran SBS for over two years, and switched to Radarbox about a month back... within three days of swapping over I sold the SBS unit.

A team of wild horses wouldnt make me switch back now.

I find the RB to be more sensitive (I live 5 miles South of LHR) and with a loft mounted ariel I am pick things up (at high level) over Paris, Amsterdam, Southern Ireland and Birmingham (a wall in the loft blocks me to the North). With SBS (and the same airel in the same spot in the loft) I wasnt getting anything like that range.

I find the network data very addictive, I sit watching Tokyo for hours on end (really need to go back out there soon).

The screen took some getting used to, I even changed the colours to be the same as SBS (for climbing, decending and level flight) as after years of looking for light blue ones climbing ect it was too much of a stretch. However that was easy enough to do.

There are one or two niggles with the software, but at least the owners seem to listen and I am hopefull that they will impliment fixes (unlike the other side who seemed totally incapible of accepting that there were any problems at all)

If you can afford to make the switch, DO IT

Gulfstream

Blackthorn

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2008, 09:34:45 AM »
I agree with your comments Gulfstream, just a few niggling software issues that should be sorted out in a later release.

There is the problem of the Airnav box being addictive which my SBS-1 never was.