AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: It's not for me sorry -  (Read 19617 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: It's not for me sorry -
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 07:12:06 AM »
Thanks for the reply Tarbat.  I am not sure about your plots however.  Apart from a couple of "spikes", it looks like the red lines are consistently further out than the yellow lines, which is similar to my experience.

But the Radarbox polar chart was just over 2 days, whereas the SBS-1 plot was over many weeks.  And I'm in a very low traffic area!!  I stand by my assessment - my RB gives slightly better coverage than the SBS-1 - see polar chart.  If you're getting much worse coverage, then maybe your RB is faulty.  That's if you actually want to see your RB working fully.  I just get the feeling that no matter what I say, you won't believe me.

Perhaps if you posted polar charts for both systems we could see just how bad your RB coverage is.

Tarbat often advises that he has much better reception with RB and I would like to have the same given that I have just invested in the new unit.

I don't think I've EVER said that I get much better reception!!  Just in this thread, all I've said is:
"coverage improved slightly"
"Coverage is as good, if not better, than an SBS-1"
"Coverage is probably very similar between the SBS-1 and Radarbox"

Please, don't attribute statements to me that I haven't made :(
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:51:10 AM by tarbat »

GlynH

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2008, 08:04:50 AM »
I have an external aerial on SBS-1 and have excellent converage. I can post some screen shots put it's probably not allowed.

Based on what I have seen on the screen shot forum, there just appears to be less traffic visible - maybe people are filtering (??) flights but it's just my opinion based on what I have seen on the forum.

Hi there,

I have not been around here for some time now - my browser opens @ 8 tabs on start-up of which ANRB is one - and I just caught the title of the topic as I flipped windows...you will excuse me but I have not read the whole thread so I am jumping in blind here...

You mention the screenshot forum - did you see any of these?

The first one compares an indoor antenna in a living room(!) vs the same standard antenna mobile - most impressive;

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1324.0

These second & third posts were mine - bear in mind that I am located in Banbury, Oxfordshire when you look at the map coverage and all you see are 'live' contacts - no network flights shown at all;

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1186.0
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1190.0

It really is difficult to decide that the product is not for you just by looking at screenshots though...I mean no-one would buy the SBS-1 based upon this would they;

http://www.kineticavionics.com/imagepopup.php?images/Basestation1.jpg

And I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed to post some SBS-1 screenshopts over here - I've just done it! :-)

I for one would be interested to see what you see if you see what I mean :-)

At least we are allowed to mention the competition by way of comparison and not suffer the draconian wrath incurred by unsuspecting prospective purchasers - it was this very thing that sent me over here as I was all set to buy SBS-1 in the first instance...never regretted buying the RB for one second.

It is not perfect nor without it's issues but it is always 'work in progress' which is a magnitude away from its competition.

This forum is also a great resource without the iron fist that stifles good debate over at the Kinetic/ML&S forum.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:10:04 AM by GlynH »

QF1

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2008, 10:38:46 AM »

I am sorry if I have offended in any way, but it seems that some on this forum are as sensitive as they were on the SBS forum.  However, I am pleased to see that we seem to be able to raise points without them being deleted.  I am happy to post screenshots on here, but they would be fairly meaningless.  As a three year user of this type of software I know what I can see on my own screen.  I would also like to pint out that I have been using AirNav software for more than 10 years.

Tks
M

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2008, 10:52:48 AM »

However, I am pleased to see that we seem to be able to raise points without them being deleted.

Well mostly, unless you get classified as troublesome :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

GlynH

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2008, 11:03:46 AM »
Certainly not offended me in any way M and you will find folks around here are generally nowhere as 'touchy' as those on the other side...:-)

Sounds like you know your stuff around both the SBS-1 & AirNav Systems.

Obviously I am biased as I bought into one system over the other and although I wouldn't want to force my opinion on others I do feel that the prospective customer should research properly before deciding where he/she wants to go.

By just comparing screenshots of the ANRB vs. SBS I felt you were doing both packages a disservice...

For me after comparing both systems as best I could - and after being driven off the Kinetic forums (did anyone keep a copy of that thread before it was deleted?) the choice was a no-brainer.

I have read many times here that there is little to choose between either box on coverage assuming a like-for-like installation - a few here or a few there either way really is no big deal.

What is far more important and where I would focus my attention would be on the location/positioning of the antenna as can be seen from one of the links I posted above - Testmonkey achieved an incredible coverage using only the supplied antenna on a car roof...

A friend of mine who lives locally (Hello Terry:-) used to use the SBS-1 but has had the ANRB for @8 months or so now and would not go back.

He occasionally does plug in his SBS-1 just out of curiousity and ISTR him saying there was nothing in coverage between the two...and that is obviously using the same antenna, cable, etc.

Far better to look at the ease of use, features, support etc. than wondering if the new SBS may be a little more sensitive but what point the extra couple of aircraft at the fringes if you struggle to make them out against the clutter?

Just my humble opinion of course...and maybe I should have read the complete thread before posting! :-)

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

maltby17

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2008, 07:15:07 PM »
I have both boxes,and thought that my sbs-1 was the bees knees.
But now the poor old sbs sits gathering dust,such a shame,especially with its cost.
The radarbox is superb in every aspect,and the aircraft quantities are no different at all.
Hope this helps.................Clive.