anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: It's not for me sorry -  (Read 19679 times)

pilot_ngb

Re: It's not for me sorry -
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2008, 09:36:45 AM »
Is Airnavsystems worried (maybe the wrong word) about the new sensitivity of the SBS-e?

You guys are tempting me more.

pilot_ngb

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2008, 09:45:10 AM »
Is it possible to tailor the datablock to something like the attached file?  Can the aircraft simple be removed?

I don't want any leader line.

I do want the data in a certain order and I do want it showing in the 5 o'clock position.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2008, 09:45:49 AM »
The SBS-1e may be more sensitive, but I can't see how Kinetic can compete on overall functionality.

Most users who switched from an SBS-1 found the Radarbox more sensitive, so it may be that the SBS-1e has caught up with Radarbox.  But the overall Radarbox package is so much better than the SBS-1e, that needs Planeplotter, BSAlert, FD7, and all the other addons to get even close to the Radarbox functionality.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2008, 09:48:35 AM »
You can't tailor the datablock, other than change font size, colour.  You can remove leader lines.  You can move each datablock to the 5-oclock position, but Radarbox does an excellent job of moving the labels to avoid any overlap anyway.  It took me a little time to get used to the label positions, but now I wouldn't go back to all the overalapping labels I used to get in Basestation.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 09:55:34 AM by tarbat »

Blackthorn

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2008, 10:20:12 AM »
Hi Tarbat

What font and size are you using there?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2008, 10:24:15 AM »
Arial 9 (with ClearType turned on in Windows).

Blackthorn

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2008, 10:30:47 AM »
Thanks Tarbat, it does look better than the default, for my eyes anyway.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2008, 01:35:47 PM »
pilot_ngb,

We are not worried, as Kinetic have not proven its more sensitive, even in there marketing rhetoric they stated only under certain cirumctances would it out peform there older model. So far only customers with known connectins to Kinetic have said they noticed a difference. Whatever the difference its obviously not major enough to affect us.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

QF1

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2008, 07:28:04 PM »

I am still learning to use my new RB, but I must say that my SBS unit does have better reception and more aircraft and it is 3 yrs old!  I have tried using the same aerial on both.  So, for local aircraft I would have to say that my SBS is superior, but obviously it does not provide any network traffic other than with PP add-on.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2008, 07:32:19 PM »
Can't agree with you there regarding the SBS-1 performance - maybe you got a good one :-)

Side by side comparison with live traffic shows that they are virtually identical.

QF1

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2008, 09:32:17 PM »
Hi Tarbat

I have tried the supplied RB antenna, which gives very few flights and then also tried two different SBS antennae with a BNC/SMA connector.  I get reasonably good range with the RB, but not as good.  Also, I have noticed that some flights are showing as ADSB earlier on SBS than RB i.e. they are showing up on RB, but Mode S only for five mins and then finally as full ADSB.

Maybe there is a better antenna set-up for the RB than the SBS, so I will keep working on finding the best set up.

Don't want to sound like I am complaining - just trying to get it working at the optimum.

I do really like the alerts which are working really well!

Cheers
M

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2008, 10:15:04 PM »
QF1, maybe your RB is faulty.  Even with the supplied RB antenna, I got coverage as good as, if not better than, the SBS-1.  Might be worth emailing Airnav support to see if you might have a faulty RB.

BTW, here's a comparison from when I switched from SBS-1 to RB back in February.  Note the YELLOW is my Radarbox coverage, and the RED is my SBS-1 coverage from a few weeks earlier.

QF1

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 12:13:12 AM »

Thanks for the reply Tarbat.  I am not sure about your plots however.  Apart from a couple of "spikes", it looks like the red lines are consistently further out than the yellow lines, which is similar to my experience. 

However I will "play around with the antenna positions and see if I need to send the box back.  It is not a big difference, but as everyone seems to think that the RB should have at least as good reception as the SBS, then I would like to have the same at my location.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 12:57:24 AM »
QF1,

Your earlier posts you indicated the difference was vast. Tarbats plotting information is not vastly different and many plot maps take weeks under different atmospheric conditions to get exact results.

If you feel there may be something wrong with your box please contact us through the methods in our signature. Do not post or any thread you see with your findings as they don't match the 99% consensus and they may be deemed as stiring to cause trouble.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

QF1

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2008, 02:27:36 AM »
Do not post or any thread you see with your findings as they don't match the 99% consensus and they may be deemed as stiring to cause trouble.
That certainly is not my intention and I will send any concerns to the appropriate area.  I thought that other users who had used both SBS and RB might be able to assist with advice re my setup.  Tarbat often advises that he has much better reception with RB and I would like to have the same given that I have just invested in the new unit. 

Anyway, it seems like a great piece of kit and I look forward to learning more from these forum postings.

Cheers
M
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 02:41:38 AM by QF1 »