AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alerts with ARNB 2009  (Read 68078 times)

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
Re: Alerts with ARNB 2009
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2008, 10:58:43 AM »
I still get the menu lockups and have uninstalled AVG so I don't believe they are related issues.

Morning Kevin,

I get menu lockups and slow reactions on my Dual Core machine running Vista SP1. The strange thing is that they happen even when both cores are running at low usage. I run PSCS4 and other cpu/memory intensive apps and never have a problem with them.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

9M-ISJ

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2008, 11:11:08 AM »
Have to say things seem to have got a bit quicker since I did that in AVG.

I have also had a couple of Alerts this morning, but I havent had time to see if anything else on the list has been in the zone and failed to trip an alert

Blackthorn

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2008, 11:34:13 AM »

Morning Kevin,

I get menu lockups and slow reactions on my Dual Core machine running Vista SP1. The strange thing is that they happen even when both cores are running at low usage. I run PSCS4 and other cpu/memory intensive apps and never have a problem with them.

Tom

Hi Tom

I have tried many different tests to resolve this menu hang issue on three different PC's and not seen a response from Airnav so I assume its a feature of the program.

cheers

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2008, 11:50:02 AM »
9M-ISJ, yes AVG can really slow Radarbox down, as it virus checks every aircraft photo, etc.  Hopefully your alerts will be more reliable, let us know what happens.

Blackthorn, the menus hanging, etc. has been acknowledged by Airnav.  It's described in the bug tracking system as - "Some users experience slows down where menus cannot be used.  Customers are usually on high end machines using Vista."  It's got HIGH severity and URGENT priority, so I think they're taking this problem seriously.  I've never had the problem myself, despite running Radarbox for many days at a time.

Note to Airnav - let me know if you'd rather I didn't post what's in the bug tracking system, but I think it's helpful for people to know the problem is being tracked.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2008, 11:51:44 AM »
Hi,

To confirm what I have said before on the menus hanging... my machine is pretty low spec (cost under three hundred quid) and runs XP not Vista

Paul

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2008, 11:52:55 AM »
9M-ISJ, are the menus still hanging, etc.  after you applied the AVG exceptions?

With a low-spec machine, it may be advisable to turn off some features, such as the path vector.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2008, 11:59:41 AM »
Hi,

Seems to be.... I switched it on at about 0700hrs this morning and they are failing to respond now.

I turned the path vectors off long ago

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2008, 12:02:35 PM »
Okay, might be worth contacting Airnav support so they're aware it's not just high-spec Vista machines.

Blackthorn

« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2008, 01:05:24 PM »
Hi Tarbat

Thanks for clarifying this, I made a few posts about what I had tried and assumed it was just a known issue but was not being investigated. It does appear several users are experiencing this and if I can help further I would be willing to do so.

It does not effect my enjoyment of the radarbox :-)

cheers

Kevin
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:07:17 PM by Blackthorn »

Deadcalm

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »
It's not just Vista machines, but also XP non-AVG machines as well, as I know to my annoyance.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

Tramline

« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2008, 08:21:10 PM »
Spent several hours on the RB today, monitoring LHR deps and overflying traffic on UL9 LAM/BIG CPT STU.  I've been watching the alerts function with some care today and its been about 90% o.k.   Again, I'm a new user and I've been very impressed with the RB.  The 10% of missed Alerts were totally random.  Two A/c departed LHR and I needed both of them.  Both were listed under 'Reg' only the first one did not alert - I watched it and waited but nothing!  Then next A/c to line up had only climbed 425ft then I got the audible alert! Excellent!  But then I searched deeper as to the reason why - same a/c type. same info on display, registrations correctly input ....I'm stumped.  Still it's still so much better than I hoped so thanks AirNav.

One more question, with My Flights ...How can I keep the scroll bar at the top so I can click onto a specified flight before it jumps about all over the list?

Located 2 miles South of LHR.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2008, 08:48:22 PM »
One more question, with My Flights ...How can I keep the scroll bar at the top so I can click onto a specified flight before it jumps about all over the list?

Yeah that annoys me too.... you can jump to the top or the bottom of the list by using the buttons at the far left and right of the arrow keys under the list (not sure what they are called).

I would say that with the AVG thing turned off my alerts are up from about 70 percent to 90percent. Good, but not perfect.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »
Spent several hours on the RB today, monitoring LHR deps and overflying traffic on UL9 LAM/BIG CPT STU.  I've been watching the alerts function with some care today and its been about 90% o.k.   Again, I'm a new user and I've been very impressed with the RB.  The 10% of missed Alerts were totally random.  Two A/c departed LHR and I needed both of them.  Both were listed under 'Reg' only the first one did not alert - I watched it and waited but nothing!  Then next A/c to line up had only climbed 425ft then I got the audible alert! Excellent!  But then I searched deeper as to the reason why - same a/c type. same info on display, registrations correctly input ....I'm stumped.  Still it's still so much better than I hoped so thanks AirNav.

OK, try a different approach here.  Rather than putting the aircraft registration in the alerts box, put the Mode S code in in the Mode S box.  You can find this either by checking the NavData.bd3 file using Database Explorer, by checking in MyLog if you have already received the aircraft, using the Mode S lookup on the GAS website, or by using airframes.org.

Is there any possibility that when you are picking these aircraft up, they are not in the database, so autopopulate is filling in the registration?

The Mode S code will always be seen, even if the rest of the details are missing.  Try the suggestion above and see if you get a 100% alert rate.  This will help AirNav to find the problem if one does exist.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 10:14:18 AM by Allocator »

9M-ISJ

« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2008, 01:23:27 PM »
Not a bad shout Allocator... I have 30 or 40 to find, but I will spend an hour or so doing them later.

Would you recomend taking the reg records out??

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
No. I'd just untick the Registration alert box.

What I think might be happing with the registration alert is:

- The aircraft is picked up by RB, but because it's new RB only sees the Mode S and therefore no alert

- Auto-populate does its stuff and fills in the aircraft reg and other details

- No alert, as the aircraft is already in the list and I think that the alert only occurs when the aircraft is initially picked up.  For instance, find an aircraft already in the list, put the details in one of the alert boxes, come out of the alert tab and you won't get an alert unless you stop and restart Hardware processing (or Network processing, depending on where the aircraft is showing).