anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Antenna in the loft - Height isn't everything!  (Read 14844 times)

jonjorobb

Antenna in the loft - Height isn't everything!
« on: February 14, 2010, 03:26:59 PM »
Hello,

I have been using my supplied antenna in the loft for quite some time now, And I have been looking to get better results. As I don't have a step ladder, I place the antenna on top of a tower of DVD Cases to get it as High as possible, with a Tin box and the antenna at the top.

Today I decided to try and get the antenna as high a possible - I added more DVD's to the Tower and it was as high as I could get it. I left it there, and came back a few hours later. I know you should leave polar diagrams to develop, but I have had my Radarbox for over a year so I know where my range is good, and where it is bad.

I got a shock when I saw the results. With my previous set-up I was receiving flights from over 120NM away. With the antenna as high as possible, only 80NM. I inspected the loft with a torch and there does not seem to be anything in the antenna's way at that height, so I was confused of this.

I then decided to grab a Quality Street tin and lower the Antenna to its original position in the loft. Its been running like this for less than 15 minutes and I've already broken some personal records, Aircraft from EGNT climbing out from the P18 for example, I'm picking them up a lot earlier. Another example is Aircraft on the N601 descending into EGPH, there dropping from my reception allot later. I need to let the Polar Diagram develop, But so far the results look much more promising.

So remember, Height isn't always everything!

Jonjo

bratters

Re: Antenna in the loft - Height isn't everything!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:19:08 PM »
Jonjo - I don't understand the mysteries of loft placement of antennas either. I've posted elsewhere about similar experimentation that I tried, moving the blooming thing all over the length, breadth and height of the loft.

It worked well in one place, so-so in another and badly in a third but to no discernible pattern. In the end and totally by chance I hit the spot, up shot the number of flights, and I haven't touched it since.
I seem to recall many years ago doing similar experiments with an indoor biscuit tin mounted loft scanner and getting similar results.
There must presumably be some logical explanation but it is baffling.

jonjorobb

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 04:35:27 PM »
Yes Bratters, it really is odd!

Anyway, I don't think I dare touch it ever again!

Jonjo

bearcat

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 06:59:06 PM »
I tried the same to try and improve my contacts, but with the same results. It took me a couple of weeks of going into the loft to get the same position as before with cries from my wife "Not again, haven't you got it right yet?" I daren't try again.

bratters

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 07:38:36 PM »
I find your and jonjo's posts very reassuring bearcat.

I seriously thought I was going barmy.

dudbaker

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »
Hi

What were you using for a ground plane before using the the sweet and biscuit tin lids?

Dudley
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

jonjorobb

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 04:07:54 PM »
This Halo 3 collectors edition tin http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/halo-3-collectors-edition-box-big.jpg

I found it on the pavement on my street! It was an improvement on the supplied disc.

I have another Quality Street tin, putting that below it as well wont make a difference will it?

EMA

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:25:33 PM »
I used to have an externally mounted antenna but found reception just as good with my loft mounted mag whip, although I have found Cadbury's Roses tin lid gives me better reception than quality street did ;-)

Seriously my polar diagram is little different than it was with my external antenna although I am on a hill.

Brimon

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 07:05:58 PM »
I used to have an externally mounted antenna but found reception just as good with my loft mounted mag whip, although I have found Cadbury's Roses tin lid gives me better reception than quality street did ;-)
Seriously my polar diagram is little different than it was with my external antenna although I am on a hill.

Always prefered Roses myself.
Chasing the heavies from a secret bunker in Scotland

johnboy

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 09:51:58 PM »
Bit of horse muck round it. better still!

Brimon

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »
I bought a 5m active USB cable to try it out.The aerial is about 10Ft higher in the loft but my polar diagram is still rebuilding but does not seem to cover as much of an area as previously. Should I leave it to let the polar diagram build up, remove the USB cable & revert back to old set up, or try repositioning the aerial? Choices choices.

I have tracked some transatlantic flights on the new set up & the disappear far quicker with the new set up, is this something that will improve if I leave the polar diagram to populate?

Any advice appreciated.

bratters

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »
I bought a 5m active USB cable to try it out.The aerial is about 10Ft higher in the loft but my polar diagram is still rebuilding but does not seem to cover as much of an area as previously.

When you say the aerial is 10 feet higher in the loft, where was the aerial before? What are we comparing with what?

jannuh

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 04:25:50 PM »
Best is to try several locations in the loft, give "SBS-1 Meter Lite" a try, it gives faster a clue how much traffic is coming in.
You can find the program here: http://jetvision.de/bstchart/SBS1Meter.zip

Brimon

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 04:30:25 PM »
I bought a 5m active USB cable to try it out.The aerial is about 10Ft higher in the loft but my polar diagram is still rebuilding but does not seem to cover as much of an area as previously.

When you say the aerial is 10 feet higher in the loft, where was the aerial before? What are we comparing with what?

Bratters it was in the loft previously, the radarbox sat on my comp desk with the aerial cable running into the loft. Now the Radarbox is in the loft connected via 5m cable to PC. The additional cable lets me elevate the aerial by approx 10 ft.

Jannuh I will try that cheers.

bratters

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 04:44:08 PM »
Brimon - yes, this really encapsulates the "loft" problem and the thread title "height isn't everything".

While the extension USB gives you the freedom to move box and aerial about, it doesn't help finding that elusive "sweet spot" is. Not necessarily high, not necessarily central, not necessarily anywhere in particular.

There's really no advice I can give you, it defies logic and is purely down to trial and error.

Best I can say is Good Hunting.