anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Im getting sick of the hardware gets disconnected.  (Read 5558 times)

Jordan

Im getting sick of the hardware gets disconnected.
« on: October 01, 2009, 06:08:57 PM »
I have the box for only 2 months, and i wrote about it here after a week of purchase.
Its been happening WAY too much that the hardware just get disconnected, and no, the flourecent lights have nothing to do with it.
sometimes it happen 20 seconds after i disconnect and reconnect it again, and when i leave it on for a while when i leave the house, it can disconnect it self after 10 minutes, and the whole point of leaving it on (adding as many regs as possible to my log) is worthless.
if anyone can help i would appreciate.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:14:13 PM by Jordan »

bratters

Re: Im getting sick of the hardware gets disconnected.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:15:27 PM »
My bet would be USB cable. What length USB are you using and have you tried another cable?

OKC-Steve

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:32:43 PM »
Your computer is defective. USB at these speeds requires good implementation.  I had to toss a computer that couldn't do wireless with a USB wireless adapter.  Just froze-up all the time.  My newer laptop has no problems with the same device.

Jez

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:43:04 PM »
It sounds to me like you may not have enough power going to the box from the USB port.

If swapping the USB cable makes no difference, then try swapping USB ports. Also if you some ports on the front on the front of the computer, and some on the back, then try swapping between them.

The other thing to try is unplug any other devices that are plugged into your USB ports and see if that makes any difference.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »
Just remember that when you swap USB ports, you will need to install the RB driver for that port - at least this is the case with Windows XP - does Vista or Windows 7 overcome this basic limitation?

Jez

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 08:12:39 PM »
Just remember that when you swap USB ports, you will need to install the RB driver for that port - at least this is the case with Windows XP - does Vista or Windows 7 overcome this basic limitation?

Are you sure about this?

I've never specified a particular port when installing USB drivers, and my RB gets plugged into different ports on my netbook with no problems.

bratters

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 08:28:44 PM »

Are you sure about that Allocator?

Certainly I've not had driver problems with my XP.  Any port available for me and the PC recognises the hardware immediately. This applies to any other hardware using USB connection.

bratters

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »
It sounds to me like you may not have enough power going to the box from the USB port.

If swapping the USB cable makes no difference, then try swapping USB ports. Also if you some ports on the front on the front of the computer, and some on the back, then try swapping between them.

The other thing to try is unplug any other devices that are plugged into your USB ports and see if that makes any difference.

Following up on what Jez says about limited power, I would recommend an active USB cable. They work really well and give you freedom to put the box virtually anywhere.

Shop around on Ebay for best prices.

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 08:47:11 PM »

No issues with Vista - got 4 to choose from and dependant on where my laptop is, I have used all
No significance with initial set-up either

hope this helps wrt Vista?

Regards

Rich

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »
Hence my posting on the Lindy product, definitely get about 35% more a/c running the RB off the remote psu than from the lap-top directly.   Range with Glyn's bog standard antenna upto 250nm out over the Atlantic, it'll be interesting to compare with the SSE 1090SJ MkII that I've now received.   Also, have no issues changing USB port running Vista.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Allocator

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 08:52:30 PM »

Are you sure about that Allocator?

Certainly I've not had driver problems with my XP.  Any port available for me and the PC recognises the hardware immediately. This applies to any other hardware using USB connection.

Yes, when I swap USB sockets on my desktop or laptops running XP, I get the 'found new hardware' message if I haven't used that device on that port.  If you don't get the problem, then don't worry.

Jordan

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 08:57:09 PM »
Im using the supplied USB cable.
Im using the same USB port.
I used the box for a month without anything else connected to the laptop, so i do nt think its a power issue, also, when it disconnects the blue USB LED is blinking every second, so it has power i guess.

bratters

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 09:41:50 PM »
I would still try another USB cable. There have been cases of faulty ones before.

Allocator

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 09:50:01 PM »
The flashing blue light means that there is enough power to light the LED, but is there enough power to run RB?

Just confirm that you are plugging RB directly into your PC and not via a USB hub of any sort?

Jordan

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 09:55:31 PM »
I assume it is enough since it is working + the laptop is connected to the AC.
Yep directly to the PC.