AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Im getting sick of the hardware gets disconnected.  (Read 5559 times)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Im getting sick of the hardware gets disconnected.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 10:03:40 PM »
OK, on one of my laptops, although every USB port gives out 5V, they are not all listed as 'full power' by which I guess they are talking about current.  My portable USB DVD drive comes with a double-headed (2) USB plug and it will not run unless both USB plugs are inserted in 2 USB sockets.

Maybe try a different USB socket as well as trying a different USB lead?

Fenris

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 11:06:35 PM »
OK, on one of my laptops, although every USB port gives out 5V, they are not all listed as 'full power' by which I guess they are talking about current.  My portable USB DVD drive comes with a double-headed (2) USB plug and it will not run unless both USB plugs are inserted in 2 USB sockets.

The standard USB port will supply a maximum of 100mA until the device connected has negotiated the "high power" setting, which provides a maximum of 500mA. It's not that uncommon to find that something like a disk drive, which  needs more current to start up, will require two ports to provide the power it needs.

Allocator

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 11:13:21 PM »

The standard USB port will supply a maximum of 100mA until the device connected has negotiated the "high power" setting, which provides a maximum of 500mA. It's not that uncommon to find that something like a disk drive, which  needs more current to start up, will require two ports to provide the power it needs.

Dell Inspiron - says:

1 - USB Connector - connects to USB devices such as mouse, keyboard, printer etc

2 - Power USB Connector - this port can be used for USB devices that require more power.  This pot supports up to 2A current loading

puddy

• Puddy's Homepage
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 01:37:20 AM »
I have used a Dell inspiron 1520 1525 1545 and a studio 1555 using vista and had no disconnections using version ANRB 3

Puddy
Radar Box & AOR8200 mk3 scanner
South Lincolnshire near Boston (UK)

FlightChaser

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 02:50:03 AM »
The problem is, that not all USB2 ports are created equal across PC land. The supplied USB cable from Airnav is good. I have never had any problems with it.
On my HP PC. Even on my home built PC which is a few years old, the Airnav Box works well via USB.

Allocator

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 06:51:51 AM »
And it was reasonably recently that I discovered that not all USB cables are created equal either!  I've got a couple of camera USB cables that don't seem to have the power pin connected - confused me loads!

Fenris

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 07:30:22 AM »
And it was reasonably recently that I discovered that not all USB cables are created equal either!  I've got a couple of camera USB cables that don't seem to have the power pin connected - confused me loads!

I don't think it needs to be connected if the camera relies on its own internal power. Ground, D+ and D- are sufficient.

One other USB-related thing that bugs me is how my son's iPod won't charge with a standard USB charger, it expects the D+ and D- pins to be biased to half supply otherwise it doesn't detect the power supply is present.

Spaice

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 08:47:44 AM »
Jordon, are you able to install the software onto another computer, a friends perhaps and connect the RB with all the original cables without any additional powered ports just with what came in the box.  At least you could then eliminate the computer issue, if the problem is still there then it must be the RB if not the the laptop must be the issue.

bratters

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 08:57:20 AM »
Jordon, are you able to install the software onto another computer, a friends perhaps and connect the RB with all the original cables without any additional powered ports just with what came in the box.  At least you could then eliminate the computer issue, if the problem is still there then it must be the RB if not the the laptop must be the issue.

I agree. You need to go through a process of elimination which would eliminate PC and cables.  Just a thought - check your aerial input is secure, though not overtightened.