AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Annoying Alert requestor behaviour?  (Read 8679 times)

GlynH

Annoying Alert requestor behaviour?
« on: September 06, 2009, 07:11:32 PM »
I don't know if I'm alone in this - I normally am in a minority of 1 :-) but the behaviour of the Alert requestor is really annoying.

OK...if I am working in another program the Alert requestor pops up. No problem there that is what it is designed to do.

If I click the top right close gadget the requestor will close and the RB screen pops to the front.

Annoying when I am trying to work in anpther program as I do not want to view the RB window.

That was why I closed the requestor in the first place!

This does seem program dependent as when using some programs it does bring ANRB to the front and in other programs it doesn't...

How about modifying the behaviour of the Alert requestor so if I click the close gadget the requestor just closes nicely without popping the main RB window to the front?

Maybe leave the rest of the requestor as it is now - if I do want to investigate further then a click anywhere else within the requestor will pop the RB window to the front.

The Alert requestor even pops up on the remote screen when I am using my PC in a remote session to a customers system.

When I close RB it can remain on screen for up to 30 seconds after RB has shut down.

It just likes to be noticed...;^)

Also when I am working in another program and the Alert requestor pops up it has 'focus' so whatever I am typing in the other program is lost...could this behaviour be altered so as to open the pop-up without having focus?

One for the feature request list maybe Terre if you are reading this?

And if you are how about adding another section for 'Hardware' where we can get to vote for features we would like to see on the hardware itself such as ethernet port, more appropriate & robust antenna connector such as BNC or 'N' type, wall mounting bracket etc. etc.

Thanks for listening.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:05:24 AM by GlynH »

landyman

• IC-706, UBC3500XLT, ANRB.
Re: Annoying Alert requestor behaviour?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »
Glyn, I came across this one post topic while searching to see if anyone had reported another problem.

I'm surprised that no one has commented on your post.

You describe exactly what I experienced before I stopped using RB on my main Windows computer.  It's so annoying and should be quite simple to change, in the way you suggest.

Together with RB's excellent ability to regularly freeze the whole computer, I now have RB on the old PC that this one replaced.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 01:38:37 PM »
It is interesting that fom almost 4000 users it's always the same 5 reporting new problems day after day... :-)

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 01:46:55 PM »
It is interesting that from almost 4000 users it's always the same 5 reporting new problems day after day...

Yes, if only the other 3,995 were as conscientious then the need for bug-fixes would be a thing of the past  :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 01:49:07 PM »
I actually want the alert box to appear when I'm working on other programs, so that I can cross check with the aircraft list and manually add details if RB hasn't autopopulated it.

If I don't want the pop-up alert box to appear, I just untick the box, leaving the alert sound only.

If I don't want any alerts from RB, I untick both boxes and use the audio alert function of JSTARS.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 01:49:39 PM »
Yes, if only the other 3,995 were as conscientious then the need for bug-fixes would be a thing of the past  :-)

I think you'll find that there's many conscientious beta testers here.  Is this really a bug?

How about modifying the behaviour of the Alert requestor so if I click the close gadget the requestor just closes nicely without popping the main RB window to the front?

Sounds like a feature request.   Probably best to add it to the feature request thread.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 01:52:29 PM »
That's right we are always improving the software as any of our users know.
We never stop working and improving and that will continue to happen always at AirNav Systems.

Never expect us to promise what we can't deliver...

sterigia

• forza paris
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 01:56:27 PM »
development your answer sounds like a slogan sung before work starts in a communist factory- like in china. are you based there?
ciao
frank
ciao.
frank

Allocator

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 02:00:36 PM »
Whoaaaa - Frank!!!

What's your problem!  Can't we keep this discussion professional rather that like the school playground.

sterigia

• forza paris
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 02:03:05 PM »
my last post was deleted,or did not come through.
 anyway i wrote that i thought it was normal behavoiur, albeit annoying, specially when writing with word so i never really thought about reporting it. can't you ever see the funny side of things? always serious and professional....
ciao
frank
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 02:06:23 PM by sterigia »
ciao.
frank

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 02:06:24 PM »
Stergia,

This is now your final warning, also we have not touched your post. Your playing games with us and want a reaction from us so you can post about it on other forums.

Either behave and conduct your self on this forum with a good manor or leave.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Allocator

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 02:11:54 PM »
 anyway i wrote that i thought it was normal behavoiur, albeit annoying, specially when writing with word so i never really thought about reporting it. can't you ever see the funny side of things? always serious and professional....
ciao
frank

I see your comment as racist and I object to it.  Nothing funny there at all.

radarspotter10

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 02:39:50 PM »
ciao
frank

I see your comment as racist and I object to it.  Nothing funny there at all.

yes Allocator.
He is ruining a good site,seems he is on a mission.?
from pat conscientious objector.

sterigia

• forza paris
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 02:43:20 PM »
ok i'll be quiet for some time. i am not on a mission. i do enjoy my rb and would like it better
ciao.
frank

landyman

• IC-706, UBC3500XLT, ANRB.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 08:45:40 PM »
It is interesting that fom almost 4000 users it's always the same 5 reporting new problems day after day... :-)

I thought that AirNav had high standards.  It's folk like me that report annoyances and not bugs as commented by others.  I'm sure that there are more than 3 others here that report annoyances.

As a retired designer of business programs and a retired programmer, I can't help but notice when programs don't work how a customer would expect them to.  These comments are not about bugs (= a fault in the code), but things that are annoying to users.  The program is probably doing what it's designers and programmers expected.

I would have thought that the purpose of the pop-up panel was to allow a user to continue with other work.  Then when alerted, take a quick look and decide to stop working and have a more detailed look or continue, quickly dismissing the alert panel.

It would appear that to remove the panel, the user _has_ to go into RB.

It would produce better publicity for potential customers looking, if the AirNav response was something like:-

Thanks for that suggestion, it would make the program more user friendly.  We will add that to the list of improvements.  However we are busy writing exciting new features, which we hope all will find interesting, and they take precedence.

The quoted AirNav posting has caused the resulting unpleasant postings, the original post was unanswered for a long time.

Incidentally my other posting made earlier giving advice to users has not received a derogatory remark.

Reg.