anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Basic question..sorry  (Read 16282 times)

b744

Basic question..sorry
« on: November 08, 2007, 01:11:59 PM »
Sorry to waste bandwidth with this.
I'm connected to the internet, and have ticked the share info box but dont wish to view the network at this time.Is my data still uploaded to the network even though I'm not viewing network data ??
Currently just South of Miami with 3 a/c showing full position
Rgds

DaveG

Re: Basic question..sorry
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 03:32:37 PM »
Yep I currently see a couple of contacts in your area
Cornwall, UK

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 04:18:09 PM »
I'm connected to the internet, and have ticked the share info box but dont wish to view the network at this time.Is my data still uploaded to the network even though I'm not viewing network data ??
Rgds

As I understand it, if you don't have "share data" ticked, then you are not uploading your data.

However, when your free 12 month network subscription runs out, although you won't be able to see the network data from other users, you will still be able to share (upload) your data to the network.

I'm sure that Support will correct me if I'm wrong.

What I would really like to see is no subscription charge at all after the free 12 months.  I'm not entirely sure that many users will pay for network data, especially when you can share for free using PlanePlotter (works well with the SBS-1 but still at an experimental stage with RB).

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:42:07 PM »
Rgds

As I understand it, if you don't have "share data" ticked, then you are not uploading your data.

However, when your free 12 month network subscription runs out, although you won't be able to see the network data from other users, you will still be able to share (upload) your data to the network.

I'm sure that Support will correct me if I'm wrong.

What I would really like to see is no subscription charge at all after the free 12 months.  I'm not entirely sure that many users will pay for network data, especially when you can share for free using PlanePlotter (works well with the SBS-1 but still at an experimental stage with RB).

I have used PP with RB and it is OK but gets complicated as in this case it is the RB data that is delayed and the PP traffic a mix of real and delayed time. However, I agree, I am a pensioner and don't think I can justify another £120-140 per year just to "see" Network traffic I could not possibly eyeball from my location.  I think RB is great and because its coverage at present from my location is around 50 miles in each direction I tend to use it with the alert option playing a trumpet WAV file each time a USAF flight comes within range - excellent....

DaveG

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 10:38:14 PM »
Firstly I have to say this is my own view and only posting on these forums as its on topic (almost)...  (RB feel free to remove if this is out of order, no offence will be taken)

Airnav should rethink their current policy on this annual fee for network access if for no other reason than that the competitor does/will have a free network system in place either be it provided by them or the community via PP.

Its also I think a major issue (or will be) between the difference in overall cost of the two products.  I do think RB has an easier and better in some ways software the other has/will have the edge on free network access.  Regards the software, you have to remember that the other system also went through the fun of tweaking each release and getting it better.  For me RB is easier out of the box and with more tweaks will be the leader soon....

If Airnav were to drop the network fee and publish this I'm sure it would pull more people over to RB or at the very least eliminate one deciding factory between the two boxes in question for new buyers.

Only my 2c/2p worth ;)
Cornwall, UK

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 10:27:23 AM »
Thanks for your comments on the network and RadarBox.

The issue of the network is being discussed. There could be various ways such as using an example of P2P networks, where you need to share a specfic amount to get specfic access.

However remember the network feature to us is an ongoing cost regarding servers etc. Unfourtanely I can't comment fully on the PP system.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 11:51:25 AM »
Thanks for your comments on the network and RadarBox.

The issue of the network is being discussed. There could be various ways such as using an example of P2P networks, where you need to share a specfic amount to get specfic access.

However remember the network feature to us is an ongoing cost regarding servers etc. Unfourtanely I can't comment fully on the PP system.

The idea of having to give data to get others data back is a good idea. I have had the share data option ticked from day one and will continue like that - Up to the day I have to pay for access and then I will work on the basis - If I cant afford to get others data why should they have mine...... May sound a bit harsh but thats the way it is.

b744

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 04:48:15 PM »
Totally agree with the sentiment in these threads.
I believe Airnav have said the "years free" network will begin when the system is up and running. Well how do they define when that is/will be because the non sorting of the lists and loss of my log upon shutdown does not sound like  a system yet living up to the description on the box.
Having had RB from day1...at least when FEDEX finally called, and going thru all the early teething problems, I'm afraid parting with more cash is not an option I shall be considering.
Very much looking forward to Ver1.4
Rgds

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 05:13:44 PM »
b744,

We agree there was some intial teething problems to some users. To those customers there network year will start from version 1.3s release.

While you have mentioned some bugs in your post we do not regard them as affecting your access to the network.
[email protected]

b744

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »
but surely you agree that looking at a list of 500+ aircraft that jumps around all the time is not exactly an appealing option. Its bad enough on a list of 20-70 live aircraft !

Bit of thread creep here..
In a previous msg I asked for heights/aircraft position plots to remain on the list until your selected timeout is reached.This is a must as far as I can see and want to know if it will be incorporated in ver1.4

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 05:45:19 PM »
Thats why it will be fixed for the next version :)

Please check that thread as the details were answered in there. If we get further requests for that we look into a way round it. There is a lot of complicated things going on behind scenes and it could affect a few things including bringing back past bugs.
[email protected]

b744

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 06:37:09 PM »
Just checked that thread and cant find your reply/answer on the subject.
If I need further posts from people to get it done ,let me explain my reasons.
If you have the RB running and are not staring at it 24/7, then an aircraft is picked up giving height and position etc. ......sadly you dont see this and then signal is lost and all you get is a hex and reg.  My whole issue is now where is this aircraft ?? Has it just landed at your local or overflown at FL410 ? If RB kept this data(as sbs does ) until your timeout then you'll know or you could adjust the timeout to see where it is/was.
The way around is to gather the height info on the new database which you could refer to but is that an option Airnav are looking at ?? Again you could open Basestation reporter and see this info .
If I am the only one who thinks this is a failure in the RB system then ignore this post. If you see the benefits please  voice them so something is done.
The end

prbflight

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 03:11:25 PM »
Just checked that thread and cant find your reply/answer on the subject.
If I need further posts from people to get it done ,let me explain my reasons.
If you have the RB running and are not staring at it 24/7, then an aircraft is picked up giving height and position etc. ......sadly you dont see this and then signal is lost and all you get is a hex and reg.  My whole issue is now where is this aircraft ?? Has it just landed at your local or overflown at FL410 ? If RB kept this data(as sbs does ) until your timeout then you'll know or you could adjust the timeout to see where it is/was.
The way around is to gather the height info on the new database which you could refer to but is that an option Airnav are looking at ?? Again you could open Basestation reporter and see this info .
If I am the only one who thinks this is a failure in the RB system then ignore this post. If you see the benefits please  voice them so something is done.
The end

Agree with b744

Regards

Paul

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 04:02:50 PM »
Its in the next version at the moment as I type, hopefully if does not exhibit any weird issues as before it will stay.

Hope that helps.
[email protected]

b744

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 12:11:08 PM »
Thats excellent news. Ver 1.4 is going to make huge improvements all around by the sounds of things.
Rgds