AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Future software features  (Read 10143 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Future software features
« on: February 16, 2009, 01:43:24 PM »
Just an FYI.  At this weekends SBS Open Day @ ML&S, there was talk of the "other" product getting a software upgrade to Basestation 2.  Targeted for launch this summer.  With a new, three-dimensional map, cockpit view, rendered aircraft, weather overlays.

Just something to note for future development plans for Radarbox.  A weather overlay would be useful, the rest just sound like "eye-candy".
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:46:01 PM by tarbat »

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: Future software features
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »
:-) They also promised t their customers mapmode-s 3 years ago and nothing yet (but still advertised).

That is simply the way the "other" product works: always promised something even if you can't get it.

tommyg

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:49:33 PM »
At work we use Flight Sentry (the profesional version of Flight Explorer) which has all the weather features and shows all the published Atlantic and Pacific tracks for the day. These would be a useful addition to Radarbox from my point of view as it would give you a good idea as to where the traffic is overflying.
Tommyg

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:00:20 AM »
Regarding Kinetic SBS-1: it is unbelievable how they still lie to their customers everyday and there are still those who believe them. Like the "new" SBS-1e which only new feature is an ethernet port and which sensitivity is lower than RadarBox. Now they will have a "brand new" software which only change is the ability to zoom more. Sincerely and in business terms the most important think, in our opinion is being on the side of the users.

Regarding and as posted on another thread, V2.10 will not be V2.01 with some bugs corrected. Expect some important changes in terms of graphics. We are developing a brand new application to replace AirNav Live Flight Tracker and we are using all its technology on the new RadarBox software. The down side of this is that it will take more time to release it. The applications starts to look impressive.

Tommyg: can send us a private message with more details on how you use Flight Explorer at work? We have some questions for you.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:52:24 AM »
Airnav, can you give us some idea of timescales for v2.10.  It's dissapointing that v2.10 hasn't met it's "end of January" promise.

We've been waiting for the fix to show Flight IDs on many airlines (eg Loganair, Flybe, etc.) since September last year.  It's the one feature that the Kinetic SBS-1 has that is broken in Radarbox, and was promised to be fixed urgently.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather you fixed the bugs instead of changing the graphics to make it look impressive.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:54:24 AM by tarbat »

JRS98

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:11:58 AM »
Totally agree Tarbat. Military is my main interest and there's many types that don't show the callsign. Bugs/Glitches should be a top priority over any new features. Hopefully we'll find out what's going on with v2.10 soon.

Deadcalm

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:21:39 AM »
I concur with Tarbat's comments.  Please fix the current incarnation of the software as a priority.

And Airnav, with respect, may I suggest that with your persistent defamatory comments about a rival company's product, you are skating on dangerously thin ice...

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:37:23 AM »
So, what do everyone else think?  Should Airnav concentrate on bug fixes for v2.10, and leave enhancements such as impressive graphics, weather overlays, etc. for v3.0?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 10:08:58 AM »
Kinetic and KineticDavid, I apologise for this remark, and will refrain from any further postings that may be intepreted as libel.

So, I publicly apologise for any postings I have made on this or the Kinetic forum that may have been interpreted as libel.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:03:03 PM by tarbat »

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 10:16:01 AM »

Gordon Bennett - if Kinetic have even a half-decent lawyer, they'll skin you alive.

Looks as if they may try.

http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9096

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:53:32 AM by nortonbeak »

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 11:40:07 AM »
And in this litigious climate, it's a good idea to take care when you edit quotes - for example the quotes from both AirNav and Bratters in the previous post are wrongly attributed.

In defence of Tarbat, not that he needs me to defend him, libel is only libel if the statements made are untrue - however what any company has or hasn't promised and has or hasn't delivered is presumably a matter of public record and not subject to dispute.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

dudbaker

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 12:05:30 PM »
Hi

I can wait.  Better to get it wright.  As far Mil callsigns are concerned that is down to the operator.  Sometimes we see Test01.  This could have been put by the engineer who fitted the kit when he was testing it.  Then it stayed.  Sometimes they are deliberately vague as ZZZZZZZ or 00000.  Sometimes the aircraft registration. 

Dudley

Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »
Dudley, it's a well documented bug that even when an aircraft is transmitting a Flight ID, Radarbox does not always display it.  This has been proven by comparing a Radarbox and SBS-1 running side-by-side.  The SBS-1 displayed all the Flight IDs, and Radarbox misses many from certain airlines/aircraft.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:49:22 PM by tarbat »

spanman

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 01:05:23 PM »
Guys,
        Although I'm not a regular contributor to the forum I have had my Radar box for nearly a year ad a half now and have enjoyed the professional advice and add-ons from the experts who regularly post on here ,Tarbat Allocator,Rod etc . At the moment it saddens me to read the constant bickering , the 'we said they said our toy is better than your toy' philosophy that is all too apparent at the moment . For god sake guys we know that the Air Nav is better than SBS in certain features and SBS has attributes that Air Nav doesn't have at the moment but will have in the future. We know each will try to outdo each other and the winners will be us,the enthusiasts who love aviation and and the huge enjoyment we get from our gadgets.
So please please can we get back to the way the forum was, fun, informative and a font of knowledge that we have all tapped into as we have learnt how to get the most out of our radar boxes.
If any new potential customers decided to check out the forum before buying how childish must we look? No offence was meant  with the above to anyone connected with Air Nav or furum contributors just had enough....
Flybe Crew on the Dash 8 Q400  Embraer 175
and Embraer 195

tommyg

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 01:11:24 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly with Spanman above. If this bickering continues I will not bother with this forum again.
Tommyg