AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox (possible new user)  (Read 18671 times)

vassylad

Radarbox (possible new user)
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:31:29 PM »
Hi guys may I say hello, my name is Michael Vass I live in St.Helens near to Liverpool (which is my local airfield), I have read with delight some of the remarks about RB and also watched numerous videos on You Tube, well what can I say you have developed a fantastic product that does exactly what it says on the box!, I have been mulling over which reciever to buy (we know the other one) and without doubt the information and the forum have somewhat swayed me to RB. I have read that there will be another update for RB 2009 but something worries me here, I have heard that there may be a 5 minute delay coming into force because of high security and privacy in the UK airspace. If this is true it will cause a major headache trying to be 5 mins ahead of the traffic. Am i worrying over nothing or need I be concerned. I am going to purchase RB in the next few weeks and I want to be sure that it will be LIVE.

Thanks guys..

Mike Vass
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 05:40:16 PM by vassylad »

Keith L

Re: Radarbox (possible new user)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 02:40:14 PM »
Hi Mike and welcome.  I'm a newbie myself but I think you might be confusing the network feed (which is delayed by 5 minutes) and the hardware feed which is live.  The network feed is data uploaded from other RB users whereas the hardware feed is what your antenna is picking up live.  You can display either (or both) on your monitor.
7 miles ENE of Luton (EGGW)

vassylad

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:42:02 PM »
Hi Keith that makes sense thanks for your speedy reply..

Michael

Hi Mike and welcome.  I'm a newbie myself but I think you might be confusing the network feed (which is delayed by 5 minutes) and the hardware feed which is live.  The network feed is data uploaded from other RB users whereas the hardware feed is what your antenna is picking up live.  You can display either (or both) on your monitor.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 03:06:33 PM »
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.  As per my reply on the Planeplotter forum:

1. All aircraft received by your own receiver display LIVE on the screen.

2. Only aircraft received via. the Airnav network from other Radarbox owners around the world are 5-minute delayed. These are marked with an "*" on the display to make it clear that they are 5-minute delayed.

So, on your Radarbox display, you'll see LIVE traffic for aircraft within your range (up to 250nm), and delayed traffic for all other aircraft around the world.

3. Output from port 30003 may become 5-minute delayed in future versions of Radarbox (for legal reasons).  This won't affect what you see on the Radarbox display.

vassylad

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »
Tarbat a million thanks for your reply to my questions..

Mike Vass

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.  As per my reply on the Planeplotter forum:

1. All aircraft received by your own receiver display LIVE on the screen.

2. Only aircraft received via. the Airnav network from other Radarbox owners around the world are 5-minute delayed. These are marked with an "*" on the display to make it clear that they are 5-minute delayed.

So, on your Radarbox display, you'll see LIVE traffic for aircraft within your range (up to 250nm), and delayed traffic for all other aircraft around the world.

3. Output from port 30003 may become 5-minute delayed in future versions of Radarbox (for legal reasons).  This won't affect what you see on the Radarbox display.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:39:39 PM by vassylad »

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 03:57:16 PM »

This has been totally confusing me - what does port 30003 and the fact it may become 5 min delayed mean then - what are the implications?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Andy Frost

• SquawkBox
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 04:17:13 PM »
CoastGuardJon,
RadarBox outputs data from the flights you receive with your aerial to the ports 30003 and 7879. It does this so that third-party external softwares can process that data. For example you might to create some software to add your flights to your own database, or in my case import my own flights to Google Earth and view them there. The port output and its timing only affects the programs that make use of this data and does not have any implications as to what you will see when watching live flights or networked flights received from other users.

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 08:00:03 PM »
The port output and its timing only affects the programs that make use of this data

Thanks for that Andy, now probably a very silly question, is this in effect, a "virtual" port only visible to an OS or other software as opposed to be a physical/ electronic connection?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Andy Frost

• SquawkBox
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 08:49:45 PM »
yes, it is only read by software, it is not like a communications port or USB port that you can physically plug something into.

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 10:04:38 PM »
Again Andy, thanks, so how does a 5 minute delay get imposed, in the programming of the chips in the hardware, or in the software being used to access the data?   Can this delay be superimposed retrospectively and is it possible to circumvent it?

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 10:27:37 PM »
Again Andy, thanks, so how does a 5 minute delay get imposed, in the programming of the chips in the hardware, or in the software being used to access the data?   Can this delay be superimposed retrospectively and is it possible to circumvent it?

Clearly it's a software function, hence the statement that V2.1 will restore the delay which isn't present in the current release.

How to circumvent it?  Well, upgrading to the new version won't be compulsory, so don't ...
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 10:32:53 PM »
Thanks Dave and Andy.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 09:00:45 AM »
Hopefully some clever person will write a patch as happened with SBS-1.

On the subject of the network; I'm currently tracking a USN E-6 on the PlanePlotter network. My RB picked this aircraft up live as it departed Mildenhall. I lost it north of the Wash and so far he has not appeared on the ANRB network. He's now crossing the west coast outbound towards Ireland.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 09:12:07 AM »
Hopefully some clever person will write a patch as happened with SBS-1.

The same person (Piotr Pawluczuk) that wrote the SBS-1 real-time patch also wrote a Radarbox real-time patch.  Unfortunately during beta-testing were wen't able to get it to work.  At the time (a year ago) there was very limited demand for this, so he gave up on the attempt.

If anyone wants to take-up further development of this, here's the original patch (that doesn't work).  Contact details at http://piopawlu.net/

And development of the Radarbox USB Y-adaptor is underway at http://mode-s.66ghz.com/

This modifies the FTDI driver to output the raw USB data on port 7070.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:35:38 AM by tarbat »

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 09:22:24 AM »
Morning Tarbat,

Thank you for that interesting info.

The network finally picked up the E-6 near Dublin. I believe this has got to be a network problem as I know several RB users across the country are active this morning and sharing data.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk