anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AirNav ADS-B 1090 MHz Outdoor antenna with SMA connector  (Read 3428 times)

Wiggi001

AirNav ADS-B 1090 MHz Outdoor antenna with SMA connector
« on: August 28, 2021, 01:51:15 PM »
I have purchased the AirNav ADS-B 1090 MHz Outdoor antenna with SMA connector from the Amazon shop. For testing I have the aerial literally taped to a 4mtr  length of plastic pipe fixed to a high point on the roof 56m AMSL. Would it be better or does the antenna require grounding ie. a metal mast. The Airnav produces about 1100 messages/sec but does see more aircraft and at slightly lower altitude and extended range, whilst my home built 12 element collinear produces 2000 messages/sec.(The coco does not require grounding) I'll leave the station running as long as there is no wind!

Any commemts gratefully recieved.

Andrew Wiggins

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?feed=RFd5iCXWra_Z

The coco is below

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?feed=bWymE9tMrbz4

« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 08:39:30 PM by Wiggi001 »

Runway 31

Re: AirNav ADS-B 1090 MHz Outdoor antenna with SMA connector
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 08:01:58 PM »
The antenna does not require grounding

Alan

Wiggi001

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 10:14:44 PM »
thankyou

ZetaZeta

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 02:21:25 PM »
I have purchased the AirNav ADS-B 1090 MHz Outdoor antenna with SMA connector from the Amazon shop. For testing I have the aerial literally taped to a 4mtr  length of plastic pipe fixed to a high point on the roof 56m AMSL. Would it be better or does the antenna require grounding ie. a metal mast. The Airnav produces about 1100 messages/sec but does see more aircraft and at slightly lower altitude and extended range, whilst my home built 12 element collinear produces 2000 messages/sec.(The coco does not require grounding) I'll leave the station running as long as there is no wind!

Any commemts gratefully recieved.

Andrew Wiggins

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?feed=RFd5iCXWra_Z

The coco is below

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?feed=bWymE9tMrbz4

I've bought the same antenna, and I've got worse results than my home made Cantenna... I wonder if you ditched it, or kept it ?

Thxs

Nicolas

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 11:10:12 PM »

I've bought the same antenna, and I've got worse results than my home made Cantenna...

When I purchased Flightaware antenna,  it worked worst than my Cantenna. I finally discovered that this was due to strong RF noise (TV, FM, Cell/Mobile signals). The RF noise is very high in my area as I live in an urban high rise buildings area.

Adding a filter to Flightaware antenna grately improved it's performance,  and it started performing much better than Cantenna.

To check RF noise in your area, please see following How-to, particularly OPTION-1 and OPTION-4

Do I Need A Filter?

ZetaZeta

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 08:18:02 AM »

I've bought the same antenna, and I've got worse results than my home made Cantenna...

When I purchased Flightaware antenna,  it worked worst than my Cantenna. I finally discovered that this was due to strong RF noise (TV, FM, Cell/Mobile signals). The RF noise is very high in my area as I live in an urban high rise buildings area.

Adding a filter to Flightaware antenna grately improved it's performance,  and it started performing much better than Cantenna.

To check RF noise in your area, please see following How-to, particularly OPTION-1 and OPTION-4

Do I Need A Filter?

I have indeed very strong RF Noise, I checked that yesterday. Which filter did you choose ? Is it the flightaware cylinder one ?

Wiggi001

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 02:45:17 PM »
The aerial is absolutely fine, but it does really need to be as high as possible and of course
sited outdoors. If like my site you have higher terrain near the horizon your range will be limited.  Having said that I could see returns at over 200NM at 35000ft. Currently the antenna is back in doors until I can climb the chimney!

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 02:19:16 AM »
The aerial is absolutely fine, but it does really need to be as high as possible and of course
sited outdoors. If like my site you have higher terrain near the horizon your range will be limited.  Having said that I could see returns at over 200NM at 35000ft. Currently the antenna is back in doors until I can climb the chimney!

Increasing height of antenna will increase range in low RF noise area. 

If RF noise is very strong, increasing height of antenna will not increase range,  unless a good filter is added.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:23:04 AM by abcd567 »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 02:32:51 AM »
I have indeed very strong RF Noise, I checked that yesterday. Which filter did you choose ? Is it the flightaware cylinder one ?

I use Flightaware light blue filter

https://flightaware.store/products/band-pass-signal-filter-dual-978-1090-mhz

Runway 31

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 12:00:50 PM »
Remember light blue filter for North America, dark blue for the rest of the world

Alan

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 03:16:02 PM »
Remember light blue filter for North America, dark blue for the rest of the world

Alan

Thanks Alan for clarifying and very important comment.

As I was replying to question "Which filter did you choose ?", I answered Flightaware "light blue", as this is the one I am using (because I live in North America / Canada).

However here is the link for Flightaware Dark Blue Filter:

https://flightaware.store/products/band-pass-signal-filter-1090-only-mhz