AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: This might sound strange but I need to disable mlat (but keep everything else)  (Read 2858 times)

tgo

How do I do this, RB mlat doesn't play nice with other feeders so I need to lose the RB mlat and reinstall the more friendly one.

my rbfeeder.ini shows this

[mlat]
autostart_mlat=true
#mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.5 /usr/bin/mlat-client

How would I go about just uninstalling/removing RB mlat?

Runway 31

I dont see why the mlat client causes issue, plenty of users have it working and are feeding other trackers without issues, hopefully some one familiar with Pi's will come along and assist

In the meantime have a read at https://forum.radarbox24.com/index.php?topic=101771.0

Alan
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 04:54:05 PM by Runway 31 »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
Change true by false as shown below

[mlat]
autostart_mlat=true  false

Save file.
Restart rbfeeder

sudo systemctl resrart rbfeeder 

tgo

Thanks, although I notice that this seems to think I'm on python 3.5, when I'm on 3.7 (or whatever the latest is)

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
Thanks, although I notice that this seems to think I'm on python 3.5, when I'm on 3.7 (or whatever the latest is)

The above line of code is commented-out (it starts with # ).
This means this line will be ignored during execution.

I also have raspbian buster which has python 3.7
To use this command, I did two things:
(1) Deleted #
(2) changed 3.5 to 3.7
(3) Saved file /etc/rbfeeder.ini
(4) Restarted rbfeeder
sudo systemctl restart rbfeeder

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 02:50:27 AM by abcd567 »

tgo

Thanks for that, so if it's commented out, what function does it serve when it's not, and what runs in its place when it's commented out.

jackal

Thanks for that, so if it's commented out, what function does it serve when it's not, and what runs in its place when it's commented out.

Fantastic question and something I'm wondering myself as I try to troubleshoot my own MLAT issues. Sorry to bump an old thread, but can someone answer this question? Might end up helping me, too. :)

Runway 31

What MLAT issues are you having Jackal

Alan

EPPO

Hi,

I think that python script located in /usr/bin/mlat-client should be modified by maintainers at the very 1-st line:

Code: [Select]
#!/usr/bin/python3.7
IMHO it should be just:

#!/usr/bin/python3
to avoid statically defined Python version. If Python will go higher version in the future, then the /usr/bin/mlat-client will know what to do :)

RaspberryPi OS has got symlinks (I'm still on "Buster" since RB doesn't support Bullseye yet):

1. /usr/bin/python - which links to symlink @python2 which links to python2.7 binary
2. /usr/bin/python3 - which links to python3.7 binary

mlat-client starting script is located in /etc/init.d directory

BTW, does anyone know when RB will upgrade their feeder to Debian Bullseye version?... ;)

Runway 31

i dont know the answer to your query but there is a workaround avilable to get the feeder working with Bullseye.  See https://forum.radarbox24.com/index.php?topic=105631.0

Alan

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto

Hi,

I think that python script located in /usr/bin/mlat-client should be modified by maintainers at the very 1-st line:

#!/usr/bin/python3.7
IMHO it should be just:

#!/usr/bin/python3
to avoid statically defined Python version. If Python will go higher version in the future, then the /usr/bin/mlat-client will know what to do :)

RaspberryPi OS has got symlinks (I'm still on "Buster" since RB doesn't support Bullseye yet):

1. /usr/bin/python - which links to symlink @python2 which links to python2.7 binary
2. /usr/bin/python3 - which links to python3.7 binary

mlat-client starting script is located in /etc/init.d directory

BTW, does anyone know when RB will upgrade their feeder to Debian Bullseye version?... ;)

Modifying the mlat line is not necessary as the mlat line is commented out (i.e. starts with a # ) and therefore ignored during execution.

Actually it is the mlat-client which has the python version hard-coded, and uses that version of python.

Please note that mlat-client package for each distro (Stretch,  Buster,  or Bullseye) is built on that distro, and when installed & run, selects version of python suitable for that particular distro, and won't work on another distro.

The correct version of pyhon3 is automatically selected by the mlat-client as follows:

On Stretch,  it uses pyrthon 3.5
On Buster,  it uses pyrthon 3.7
On Bullseye,  it uses pyrthon 3.9

If you run command "sudo systemctl status rbfeeder", you will find following lines in the output:

ON STRETCH:
CGroup: /system.slice/rbfeeder.service
           ├─508 /usr/bin/rbfeeder
           └─596 /usr/bin/python3.5 /usr/bin/mlat-client --input-type dump1090 --input-connect 127.0.0.1:32457 --server mlat1.rb24.com:40900

ON BUSTER:
           ├─508 /usr/bin/rbfeeder
           └─596 /usr/bin/python3.7 /usr/bin/mlat-client --input-type dump1090 --input-connect 127.0.0.1:32457 --server mlat1.rb24.com:40900

ON BULLSEYE:
           ├─508 /usr/bin/rbfeeder
           └─596 /usr/bin/python3.9 /usr/bin/mlat-client --input-type dump1090 --input-connect 127.0.0.1:32457 --server mlat1.rb24.com:40900

The mlat-client is installed from Radarbox24 repository by following command

sudo apt install mlat-client   

There are two versions of mlat-client in Radarbox24 repository (1) for Stretch (2) for Buster.  The apt checks the version of OS,  and installs the matching version of mlat-client.  As RB24 have not yet released their rbfeeder for Bullseye, their repository not yet has mlat-client for Bullseye.

For ease of users, I have built mlat-client on Bullseye and uploaded it to Github. Those who install on Bullseye the rbfeeder which is meant for Buster, using workaround posted by me, can download and install mlat-client for Bullseye from here:

https://github.com/abcd567a/mlat-client-package#readme

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 01:37:24 AM by abcd567 »