anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Opinions On Real-Time Network?  (Read 11685 times)

dl1812

Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 11:13:52 AM »
It may not be the realtime network but it is accurate  and much better than the delayed network from airnav and it costs nothing. I can view aircraft within range of my Radarbox and compare it to Planefinder and they both show the aircraft to be in the same place, this is realtime to me. If you think you are getting value for money paying for  realtime then that is up to you.

Gary,

I live between Heathrow and Gatwick, and have Planefinder on iPhone.
Both are useful for different reasons for me, but in my case RB shows more high level flights than Planefinder; low level is about the same I'd say.
As someone else has ponted out, it's up to the individual.

DL

gary.nichols

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 11:47:41 AM »
It may not be the realtime network but it is accurate  and much better than the delayed network from airnav and it costs nothing. I can view aircraft within range of my Radarbox and compare it to Planefinder and they both show the aircraft to be in the same place, this is realtime to me. If you think you are getting value for money paying for  realtime then that is up to you.

Gary,

I live between Heathrow and Gatwick, and have Planefinder on iPhone.
Both are useful for different reasons for me, but in my case RB shows more high level flights than Planefinder; low level is about the same I'd say.
As someone else has ponted out, it's up to the individual.

DL

Hi, I do appreciate that Planefinder may not show as much as RB. However I watch ANZ 1&2 schedule flight to and from New Zealand. What I find frustrating with the 5 min delay is that I can see the flight appear in the north sea sooner on an Iphone than on my£500 (with 3D) unit. My subscription is due in January and I may bite the bullet and buy it because it is conveniant and built into the software. I don't wish to offend anybody who pays for realtime it is an individual choice but I still think it is expensive on top of what we have all paid for the RB when others are managing to offer similar (maybe not as good) for free.

Runway 31

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 12:56:32 PM »
Theres a problem then if you see ANZ 1 and 2 over the North Sea as they dont go in that direction.  Up over Scotland and the Atlantic. 

As has been said before if you dont want to pay there are alternatives but I am sure you took all that into account when making your purchase decision. 

I hear of people using the "free" alternatives and then complaining they miss aircraft or it hasnt a particular asset.  You pay your money, or not as the case me be and you make your choice its all up to the individual user.

Alan

Tailwinds

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 09:00:11 PM »
How much is the 'Real Time' Network? I can't seem to find anything on Airnavs Home page of their website. Only ANRB and 3D.
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Johnn

• Y'ello
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 09:43:51 PM »
How much is the 'Real Time' Network? I can't seem to find anything on Airnavs Home page of their website. Only ANRB and 3D.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/order.html

Is the realtime network in real-time? because whats the 30sec refresh for?
Thanks
Johnn -

RobinB

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 10:03:42 PM »
I think airnav have an uphill struggle on this as there are quite a few free websites or several once off payment sites at a considerable cheaper price.

It would be nice to see a comparison of differences.

gary.nichols

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 11:50:07 PM »

http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/order.html

Is the realtime network in real-time? because whats the 30sec refresh for?
Thanks

The 5 minute delay has a refresh time of 30 secs. The realtime has a refresh of 20 secs which gives time for data to be retreived and transmitted to realtime users.

Tailwinds

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 11:49:16 PM »
The 5 minute delay has a refresh time of 30 secs. The realtime has a refresh of 20 secs which gives time for data to be retreived and transmitted to realtime users.

This is what I have trouble understanding. If it takes a refresh of 20 seconds for the data to reach my screen, then how can it be real time? The aircraft data I recieve will be 20 seconds old.
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 08:50:56 AM »
This is what I have trouble understanding. If it takes a refresh of 20 seconds for the data to reach my screen, then how can it be real time? The aircraft data I recieve will be 20 seconds old.

The aircraft data when you receive it will not be 20 seconds old, it will be within a few seconds of real-time.  The only timelag is the UPLOAD time from each Radarbox station.  The network data on your PC will then age 20 seconds before being refreshed from the server.

It's a compromise between update refresh rate and bandwidth usage.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:52:39 AM by tarbat »

Chris11

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 11:18:10 AM »
I would think the same applies for any data on a website. The refresh rate will be set at something like 20 or 30 seconds

flightinair

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 02:34:54 PM »
I can not understand this. even if you where using fiber optic cables there will still be a delay, so Tailwinds tell us how to get no delay.

Dean

• Plane photographer
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 05:25:57 PM »
Can I offer a different way of looking at this? Well I will.

You can buy a HD / 3d 50 inch TV with all the bells and whistles. What do you get with it? Freeview. If you want enhancements like HD (equiv I suggest to Real Time) then you pay extra - why coz it costs extra to make / produce / send HD TV.

Simple - don't want HD or movies then don't pay for them - don't want / need real time then don't pay for it.

Dean