anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Opinions On Real-Time Network?  (Read 13194 times)

Johnn

• Y'ello
Opinions On Real-Time Network?
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:48:52 PM »
I have had the network on delayed for sometime ( free year with the box) Can anyone tell me who is subscribed to the real time network.. is it worth it? can you see the difference from delayed to  live? also isnt it a 30sec delay or something?
Thanks
Johnn -

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:55:37 PM »
There is no delay :) for the realtime network.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 09:58:40 PM »
Johnn

There is no noticable delay on the live network - it's refreshed every 20 seconds rather than the 30 seconds on the delayed network.

When you watch a plane on the live network coming into your area, the transition to MyFlights is very smooth. I like the live network for several reasons, for example I can't see Manchester airport on myflights, but other RadarBox uses can, so I get live info about takeoffs from there. With a five minute delay, they would be past me before they appeared on the delayed network.

Similarly, anyone with big gaps in their local coverage, perhaps because of a local hill or tall building, will have seamless coverage as long as there are other RadarBox sharers in the area.

As an extra, when I'm watching live tennis from distant places like New York or Melbourne, when a noisy plane flies over, I can check it out on RadarBox.

I like it!

Rod
Rod

Tailwinds

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:08:36 PM »
Johnn

There is no noticable delay on the live network - it's refreshed every 20 seconds rather than the 30 seconds on the delayed network.

So still a delay then?...20 seconds instead of 30 seconds.
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:11:55 PM »
Not quite Tailwinds, That is just how many times the download takes place to get the new data.

Once that data is downloaded it is real time for that moment. The delayed network, what you download is 5 minutes old.
[email protected]

flanker

• My Airband Listening Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 08:22:25 AM »
What happened to the idea of 'earning' network access if you made your radarbox available to the network? Also, I thought 5 minute delay access was included indefinitely but I've received an email telling me to re-subscribe or I'll lose the delayed access?? Have we always had to pay for delayed access or has their been a change in policy there?
14NM SSE of EGNX

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 08:37:35 AM »
There has been no change of policy. The delayed network was provided free for a year when purchasing a  new RadarBox. After which its your choice whether you want to continue.

Regarding earning network access. That was mulled over back in 2007 when we released RadarBox but was never taken on. The server costs (dev, support) were too high not to pass on to the customer.
[email protected]

flanker

• My Airband Listening Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply airnav support!
14NM SSE of EGNX

gary.nichols

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 08:26:56 AM »
I have had the network on delayed for sometime ( free year with the box) Can anyone tell me who is subscribed to the real time network.. is it worth it? can you see the difference from delayed to  live? also isnt it a 30sec delay or something?
Thanks

If you look at http://www.planefinder.net/ you can access the realtime network for free. I have emailed AirNav about this and I'm a little annoyed at buying a £400 unit and still have to pay for a subscription for something that is free to everyone else. There is also an APP for the Iphone which also gives you real time access.

Chris11

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 08:39:15 AM »
That is not the realtime network. That is data submitted by users of the various products submitting data. There is not one person in my country that submits data to them but there are some with Radarboxes that share theri data.
Planfinder is useless for me

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 08:52:16 AM »
Hi Gary,

This is common question about why we charge for the network. The reason is simply the cost to us has to be passed on to the customers. The cost comes down to the following reasons:

1.) Bandwidth costs of sharing (Downloading on the iPhone compared to downloading every 20 seconds on a PC is quite different in terms of bandwidth)
2.) Development/Support of the server
[email protected]

gary.nichols

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 09:03:12 AM »
It may not be the realtime network but it is accurate  and much better than the delayed network from airnav and it costs nothing. I can view aircraft within range of my Radarbox and compare it to Planefinder and they both show the aircraft to be in the same place, this is realtime to me. If you think you are getting value for money paying for  realtime then that is up to you.

Runway 31

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 09:13:26 AM »
Each to their own Gary, if you dont like it dont pay for it. Users choice.   Iphones dont come cheap and their airtime isnt free either.

Alan
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:17:41 AM by Runway 31 »

gary.nichols

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 09:24:03 AM »
Hi Gary,

This is common question about why we charge for the network. The reason is simply the cost to us has to be passed on to the customers. The cost comes down to the following reasons:

1.) Bandwidth costs of sharing (Downloading on the iPhone compared to downloading every 20 seconds on a PC is quite different in terms of bandwidth)
2.) Development/Support of the server

I can understand that it costs more to offer this service but why is it double the cost of the delayed network which updates every 30 seconds. Why don't you scrap the delayed network and offer a cheaper realtime service.

flightinair

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »
hi Alan   and Gary
Totally agree with you Alan, i pay £54 a year to have a five minute delay  but it suits me,  but then airnav-3d is way over my budget three installment of 125 euros for 3d and you nearly have a new a new airnav box, and Gary i fully understand your frustration, but i still  love my airnav box expenses and all.