AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UK Newcastle Upon Tyne area  (Read 10620 times)

steviejo

UK Newcastle Upon Tyne area
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »
Hi all,

Just want to raise the flag as another new user in the UK-South-of-Newcastle-upon-Tyne area, with EGNT as my local. Been a bit disappointed with RBox performance in the first week, but probably down to the fact that it seems to have come with v 1.3. Much better since I upgraded to v 1.5 last night (and changed over to XP, from now-are-you-really-sure-you-really-really-want-to-do-that VISTA).

Head hurts a bit from the info I've been absorbing from all of your posts on the Forum, but I've learned a lot, so thanks to all for that. Still trying to learn about ADSB from eg CAA web sites etc and what kind of flights I can expect to get signals from (the SAR SeaKing went over the house yesterday, and what looked like one of the black mil AS350 helis this morning, but nothing on the map or in My Flights, in either case).

Routes are a particular interest. I want to get up to date with all the places the flights from EGNT go to and come from. I understand there may be some issues with routes already in the DB that dont show on-map, and that AIRNAV are looking at this, but I'd still like to know  - if call sign is shown but no route is in the DB - where, presumably via the net, can I find out ?

Also trying to add some airfield outlines (and looking obviously for one for EGNT).Does any one know if the ones available for the opposing system from Bones' site, work with RBox ?

At more fundamental level, I'd also like to understand why if a flight is detected and shown in My Flights, it might not be displayed on my Map.

Having fun anyway.

Regards to all

Stevie

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: UK Newcastle Upon Tyne area
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 11:41:55 AM »
Welcome, Stevie!

You'll soon get the hang of what flights broadcast ADS-B and what are Mode-S only, and the fact that most military and private aircraft don't broadcast position (and therefore don't appear on the map).

As regards outlines, go to  the Airnavutilities website www.airnavutilities.co.uk/ where you'll find the Bones' outlines for UK airports and lots of other stuff.

Enjoy!

Rod
Rod

steviejo

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 12:47:19 PM »
"Sierra-Juliet ,  cleared to airnavutilities".

Thanks Rod

Stevie

pcochrane12

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 12:54:07 PM »
welcome aboard stevie
im just north of you in morpeth enjoy this fun bit of kit it wastes hours of your time without you even noticing
cheers paul

RodBearden

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 02:13:41 PM »
Excuse me Paul - it's not time wasting - it's constructive engagement! Well, that's what I tell the wife :-)

As to a source of flight numbers, Stevie, this thread has some suggestions: www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=921

Rod
Rod

steviejo

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
Paul, Rod,

Actually guys, I think you're both right !

Its constructive engagement that wastes hours of your time without you even noticing !

Bit like Google Earth. Have just come out of there from trying to find out where the heck I actually am.(Wanted something closer than just Newcastle).

Paul - do you happen to know if BobR got his box ?

Rod - thanks for the link to the flights thread. On-way.

Stevie

pcochrane12

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 02:43:49 PM »
hi all
Rod; cant argue with you, the wife might but i wont tell her what you said if you wont :-)
stevie; not heard if bobR got the box yet. last message was he was about to order so may be on its way now there available again.
cheers all paul

steviejo

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 09:31:39 PM »
Hi Paul, Rod,

Still tinkering with my setup. (Where did Sunday go ?)
Thanks for the pointers to the Flight Route and Airport Outline resources (although I'm having dificulty getting the latter to show up on my map). Also entered the Lat & Lon (exactly as) I got from Google Earth to make Home location a bit more realistic  - and it put me right at the end of the Teesside runway ! Not what I had in mind so I guess its back to Newcastle as Home.

Cheers all.

Stevie   

RodBearden

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 09:41:31 PM »
Hi Stevie

Make sure that you set Tools...Options in Google Earth so that the Lat & Long are in Degrees Decimal, not degrees and minutes - RB needs them in degrees decimal.
As to outlines, put them into this folder:
C:\Program Files\AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox 2008\Outlines
(create it if it isn't there).

You need to close & restart RB whenever you add outlines (and logos) to get them to show up.

Rod
Rod

steviejo

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »
Rod,

If you're still monitoring this thread  -

Getting there. Home location is now good via Google decimals, thanks for that. Am also running the flight-route finder in a minimized browser across the bottom of RB, the same way Allocator runs his PC-based Icom. Very handy. And can see airport outlines now but only if I change map colours to 'light' as outlines colour (eg Blackpool) seems to default to black. Any way I can change outlines to a lighter colour so I can use dark 'radar screen' backgrond ? Oh, and save my new settings so they are the same the next time I go in ? Colour changes I make dont seem to want to stay set.

Thanks

Stevie

RodBearden

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 09:49:49 PM »
Glad you're making progress!

Once you change colours, I think the idea is that you export them as a file called defalut.mcl so that it will load automatically. Doesn't work for me, either :-(

I think that AirNav may be fixing this in the next release which is due fairly soon, possibly. I hope that the next version will also remember that I want airport names to be displayed!

Rod

Rod

steviejo

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 10:16:21 PM »
Rod,

Sorry,

If we're saying that saving any map colour changes made does'nt work (well or at all) at the moment - maybe in 1.6,  then OK, - but can I ask again about the airport outline colour. I was looking for something like the Heathrow example is shown in RB Help/Outlines - ie light colour outline on a dark background. Should I be able to change eg Blackpool airport outline (obtained from the airnavutilities site) from the black outline colour it seems to come as, to a lighter colour (eg white or grey) ? If this is done thro' Preferences/Map colours  - can you suggest which option ?

Thanks

Stevie

RodBearden

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 10:28:48 PM »
The colour changes work - the default just don't stick like it should!

The change you need to make for the outline colours (and the codes and names) is File...Preferences, Map Colours tab, Aviation-Related, Airport. That is where you can export your colour scheme for later use - the file name will appear in the Map...Colours list for quick access.

Hope that helps :-)

Rod
Rod

BobR

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 08:11:19 PM »
Stevie,
Just found this post. Yes I got the box although it has only been up and running for 4 days, 3 hours and 26 minutes!!! I am in the middle of some building work which has stopped me from putting up the external antenna but I am having fun all the same. Getting stuff down to 1000 feet onto 25 at EGNT with the anntena sat on my desk downstairs!

Cheers,

Bob

pcochrane12

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 08:17:03 PM »
great to see that your up and running bob wait till your external aerial is up and you should see a vast improvement with coverage since putting my wimo up i can see ground movement at the toon and im 13 miles nne of the field
paul