AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox Unresponsive  (Read 15065 times)

EINN-07

Re: RadarBox Unresponsive
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 12:33:11 AM »

We have had cases where people have complained but then also told us they are running high end games and applications in the background.

Sad people. Wasn't RadarBox enough for them ??

EINN-07

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 12:57:13 AM »
And here's another one I just spotted. Just when you think you've beaten all the bugs out of XP ----- check Task Manager /Processes and check for helpsvc.exe Apparently this is another memory gobbler visited upon us by our friends in Microsoft. I had a brief visit this evening which had the HD clacking away for 10 minutes or so. Just Google it to see what it can do ! All my experiences to date would indicate that V1.5 is NOT memory hungry but all the other things lurking around in the background are causing the problem.

CZUL

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 02:19:24 AM »
I completed some testing here this evening. I took my current desktop Dell GX27 P4-3.0 GHz and added 2GB of new ram into it. Rebooted and started RB 1.5 The performance was slightly better. I still noticed a lag on the menu's but not as bad. When I switch between, let's say, my browser , back to RB the refresh on the screen is quite slow.

My second test was with my laptop; Dell D630 Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz, Vista Ultimate with 2GB of RAM and a 128mb Nvidia card, RB 1.5. In general the performance was far superior . Screen and menu lags were not present

So I think it is obvious RB is harder on  older P4's and may be a little problematic. I'll most likely be moving to a faster desktop within the next two weeks.

One thing I want to know id why the colors I set do not remain after i restart the program even though I save the map? Also, my time is still off by and hour. This was on both systems.

Paul

EINN-07

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 07:30:35 AM »
I completed some testing here this evening. I took my current desktop Dell GX27 P4-3.0 GHz and added 2GB of new ram into it. Rebooted and started RB 1.5 The performance was slightly better. I still noticed a lag on the menu's but not as bad. When I switch between, let's say, my browser , back to RB the refresh on the screen is quite slow.

My second test was with my laptop; Dell D630 Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz, Vista Ultimate with 2GB of RAM and a 128mb Nvidia card, RB 1.5. In general the performance was far superior . Screen and menu lags were not present

One way of checking your PC's resources is to open Task Manager / Processes and click on Mem Usage on the headings. This will sort the open processes and programs by memory consumption and should give you a pointer.
My PC is a P4 2.8GHz with 256mB RAM, similar to your own and in general it keeps up nicely with RB - no lag.

EINN-07

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 07:36:10 AM »

One thing I want to know id why the colors I set do not remain after i restart the program even though I save the map? Also, my time is still off by and hour. This was on both systems.

The color retention is something that works sometimes - and sometimes it doesn't. If RB is restarted shortly ( a minute or two ) after it was shut down the colors do seem to be retained. You can save your personal color set from : File / Preferences / Colors and hit Export once you are happy. You can then give it a file name which will appear in Map / Colors menu so there's no need to keep changing the entire color pallette each time you start the program.

The clock issue has been mentioned in several other threads. Don't know if there's a fix for that in 1.6.

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 06:53:02 PM »
So setting all the functions when you have slower machine is not the best idea.

My new PC is duo core but still only 1.6ghz with 1mb RAM and I am having no problems running RadarBox all day but I do not have any other programs running as the PC was purchased for RB use only. I read the specs for RB in the manual, which does suggest more than 2gb speed but my budget for a new base unit was not big enough to get a faster spec machine.  Maybe a reminder should be more prominent of these minimum specs.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 07:00:58 PM »
That is true however you can RadarBox on a a 500mhz machine if you were only tracking one aircraft. The issue is both a slow pc and high traffic.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Wayne

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 12:01:59 PM »
Hi

Just to add to this. I had this non response frequently before version 1.4 but since it has been fine. However, I have had a couple of instances just this weekend. I am connected to the internet and have no other applications running but I managed to get the Not Responding message and a white screen after :

from my stored home location map, entered LCPH in the dropdown next to home and then Locate. Then entered LGAV and Locate and afterwards dragged the map back towards my home location (easier to click home I know !) and during this screen movement the screen went to Not Responding.

I have never used the Recording facility and there was no problem with the internet connection. Not a huge problem to me but just letting you know. Maybe Recording does play a big part in this but I have never used it

ChrisGR

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 06:16:14 PM »
First i will give a big thank you to the RB team for hard work.

After this big thank i will try to describe my problem.
Is fact that something does not goes well with ver. 1.5
Every time when RB run i will have a few unexpected frozen screens.
Is not problem of my pc anyway.
With this pc i run lot of memory hungry programs like video-audio and photo processing programs when most of them run in multitasking mode.
Without problems at all.
I have XP sp2 P4 3.20GHz 1Mb memory with NVidia GeForce 6600 display card.
Not so good but is a unbelievable the RB to needs more processing power to run well.
I run only the RB program to my pc and seem something goes wrong like memory leaking perhaps.
I wait also the next version and if with this new 1.6 still have not a solving to my problems i will return to older version.
It is really outside from my budget in order to runs the RB it needs his personnel   PC. -:)

Regards

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 06:35:25 PM »
First i will give a big thank you to the RB team for hard work.

After this big thank i will try to describe my problem.
Is fact that something does not goes well with ver. 1.5
Every time when RB run i will have a few unexpected frozen screens.
Is not problem of my pc anyway.
With this pc i run lot of memory hungry programs like video-audio and photo processing programs when most of them run in multitasking mode.
Without problems at all.
I have XP sp2 P4 3.20GHz 1Mb memory with NVidia GeForce 6600 display card.
Not so good but is a unbelievable the RB to needs more processing power to run well.
I run only the RB program to my pc and seem something goes wrong like memory leaking perhaps.
I wait also the next version and if with this new 1.6 still have not a solving to my problems i will return to older version.
It is really outside from my budget in order to runs the RB it needs his personnel   PC. -:)

Regards

Runs fine on my PC - and this is my "main" machine, the laptop is a lower spec - and RB runs fine on that too.  RadarBox doesn't need a huge processing power, especially V1.5 which is much more memory efficient than V1.4.  There must be something else going on with your PC Chris.

ChrisGR

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 07:32:39 PM »
Hi Allcator
How are you? -:)

To the subject
Why have not any freeze problem to this PC when i run the first Versions of RB one year till to now?
I know this older versions needs more memory and CPU processing to 1.5 but the big how is why not hangs the program with that old like one year ago?
In my first install CD (i think have 1.2 ) and works fine like a charm.
I do not make any change to my pc.
No new hardware not new software except my antivirus (Avira) and windows updates also.
How to you explain this?
The freezing problems starts from 1.4 when on that ver. fixes the database.
I'm not sure what else the RB team make change on whole program but i think something goes wrong.
Maybe the lower memory processing is this the reason to hang?
Giving to them a little more memory and CPU resource to "breath" better is the solution?
I'm not a programmer to have opinion, just I ask about that.
-:)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 07:35:38 PM by ChrisGR »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 07:40:20 PM »
Chris,

Are you saying as soon as you started using 1.5 that there were problems or did it slowly arrise?

Secondly are you using the recorder function?
[email protected]

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 07:47:31 PM »
Chris,

That's interesting, but I don't know why you are having problems now.  Certainly the database was a major change with SQL being used instead of the AirNav database system.  The problem is that we all have different PC's with different software installed, so there is always the chance that there is something somewhere causing a problem.  I realise that just because RB works OK my my PC's, that doesn't mean that it is going to work on everybody else's PC.

I use AVG Free Anti-Virus and the free version of ZoneAlarm on both my PC's, and I know that there is load's of "rubbish" running in the background  60 processes showing in Task Manager right now, and I only have 4 applications running - always a problem - hi hi

I think that you need to email support direct and maybe they can help you with your problems?

All the best

Allocator

ChrisGR

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 08:03:39 PM »
Hi and you AirNav and thank you

I had never use the recorder function.
Exactly as you say.
Slowly arrise.
From ver 1.4 i have hangs when my Internet connection is drooped.
But now the problem exist all times without any other program to run in background.
I leave RB to run from all night to other day and some times the morning is "frozen" not respond to any try.
Some other time go to my work and when i come back at noon is "frozen" again.
I have lost also any new entry on my database for this time but this is not very important to me.

Thank Allocator
I check tomorrow to run it from my laptop.
I have ver1.3 on them. I make an upgrade to 1.5 and i cheek on it for a couple of days.
-:)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 08:06:50 PM by ChrisGR »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »
Ok, are you now using 1.5?

If so email support via or through the ticket system and we will get to run some tests to see whats going wrong.
[email protected]