anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PC minimum spec and Graphics  (Read 4994 times)

E14

PC minimum spec and Graphics
« on: February 21, 2010, 04:38:03 PM »
Hi all
        Jut been testing on my machine over 24 hours now. Without realtime network flights it seems to be ok but can be a little slow on 3D. The minute I open up network flights the whole system grinds to a halt. Also trying to go between 2D,3D and Split seems to cause to slow to a point where the display never comes back. (just a spinning vista icon. ahhh)
I have a vista machine, 1 year old, Intel Core duo2 E4700 2.6GHX and 2GB RAM.
I am thinking about adding another 2GB but am not sure if this will help.
Anyone else running a machine like this?
Have to say machine has always been fine but Vista has been horrible compared to XP.
Cheers for any input
1 mile west of EGLC (London city Airport)

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
Re: PC minimum spec and Graphics
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »
One thing to watch out for is to verify that 'network' performance is set to minimum before switching it on. If you have it set to 'maximum' and there are a lot of aircraft, this will grind most machines to a halt.

Your system specs seem pretty good for that system and should run 3D ok. The graphics card is very important to get the best 3D performance. Do you know what kind of graphics card you have?

Adding another 2GB of memory would help out performance for all applications. However, unless you are running the 64bit version of the OS, I don't think you can take advantage of much more than 2GB.

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that 'split view' uses up twice as much system resources so if your system is struggling, it's probably best to just use one at a time.

Mike589

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:32:01 PM »
I am also using Windows Vista for Bussiness and have no problem with the new AirNav RadarBox-UG 4.03
What I do have a problem with is: MyFlights. I have no incoming flights, so I can generate a daily log report. Which I like to save.
This has never worked since I`ve been using this new version.
Network: This is running fine.
Any help from you high tech chaps out there, will be more than welcome.
Thanks in advance,
mike589
London E1

E14

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 12:03:52 AM »
Thanks Airnav. Definately helped setting the Network flights to a minimum.
I have a Geforce 8400 which I gather is ok but on the cheap side. Anyway going to add a newer one next week so will see what the difference makes.

E14

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:10:40 AM »
Just to add. A definate issue I am seeing is when I sometimes switch from3D to 2D it displays nothing apart from the flight list on the right. Also when you try and go back to 3D nothing comes up. It is like the window has disapeared. Only way to solve it is to restart ANRB.

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:55:29 AM »
Hi Mike 589 I have also noted and reported on another thread an issue with My flights log. I also keep a daily record, have done since I got the box, so this is a little frustrating. However overall 3D has been working pretty well.

I have no doubt someone on this forum or Airnav will resolve this issue.

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

Mike589

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Hi John, thanks for your encouraging words. Good to know I`m not alone on this issue. Although, I am enjoying the 3D!

Rgds,
Mike589

E14

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »
I got to work ok but have come to the conclusion Vista is cack and will be updating to Windows 7 with a new Graphics card in a few days. Hoping it will run smoother. Cant be any worse

E14

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 12:45:29 AM »
Upgraded my PC to windows 7 and my gaphics card to a ATI spahire 512MB DDR3.
Wow what a difference. PC and AirNav 3D run so much better even with network flights