anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Updating Mode S details  (Read 4393 times)

Balding Badger

Updating Mode S details
« on: January 09, 2010, 11:19:36 AM »
Good morning,

I've been using Air Nav for about 18 months but this is my first post in ages. Can anyone update me on the current situation regarding updating Mode S details? I have read the post by Air Nav under FAQ's posted on 18th May 2009 but wondered what, if any, progress has been made. The reason I am asking is that fellow spotters using SBS seem to have a more up to date database e.g Mode S 896132 showed on Air Nav as A6-RJM a Bombardier Challegner when in fact it is Boeing 737 A6-DFR. This difference is relatively obvious to spot but what if the aircraft was the same type and owner?
Please could somebody advise?
Many thanks.
BB

Horsham Spotter

Re: Updating Mode S details
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Balding Badger.

I use the following website to check/update Mode S details.

www.airframes.org.

Steve.
3.1nm miles south of EGKK westerly App & Dep.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 02:27:09 PM »
I've been using Air Nav for about 18 months but this is my first post in ages. Can anyone update me on the current situation regarding updating Mode S details? I have read the post by Air Nav under FAQ's posted on 18th May 2009 but wondered what, if any, progress has been made. The reason I am asking is that fellow spotters using SBS seem to have a more up to date database e.g Mode S 896132 showed on Air Nav as A6-RJM a Bombardier Challegner when in fact it is Boeing 737 A6-DFR. This difference is relatively obvious to spot but what if the aircraft was the same type and owner?
Please could somebody advise?

Yes, I can confirm that the AirNav server is still returning details for A6-RJM (canx in 2006) rather than A6-DFR (delivered 2 years ago).

The good news is that a permanent fix for the aircraft misidentification problem isn't far off now - OK I know I've been saying that for nearly a year, but now that V3 has been released I'm sure AirNav will confirm that it's imminent.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »
The good news is that a permanent fix for the aircraft misidentification problem isn't far off now - OK I know I've been saying that for nearly a year, but now that V3 has been released I'm sure AirNav will confirm that it's imminent.

I'm not as sure as you are Dave.   Do you have some inside information to support your optimism?

ACW367

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 08:09:29 PM »
The database with the 81 thousand odd records that Airnav provides with the 3.13 download is very out of date.  One record I deleted was a DC93 that was scrapped in 1997!

abrad41

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 06:25:29 AM »
I completely cleared the AirNav database out and started with a fresh one, this was about 10 - 11 months ago, so my database (I think) is far better than the one provided by AirNav.

Andy

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 08:06:10 AM »
I'm not as sure as you are Dave.   Do you have some inside information to support your optimism?

Not that I can share as yet, I'm afraid.

Having said that, AirNav are on record as saying that fixing the aircraft details/photo bug was going to be the next priority after V3 was released.  Perhaps they might care to comment at this time ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

ACW367

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 09:48:52 PM »
I have stripped out my airnav supplied database down to around 33,000 records.  I have updated most Air Transport types from info on production lists.  Got to sort Bizjets next, Then european GA types.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 09:19:18 AM »
Not that I can share as yet, I'm afraid.

Having said that, AirNav are on record as saying that fixing the aircraft details/photo bug was going to be the next priority after V3 was released.  Perhaps they might care to comment at this time ?

Okay, well at least it's on the system, as a HIGH severity FEATURE REQUEST.