AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Real-time port 30003 output  (Read 23633 times)

juangelb

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
    • Máquinas Voadoras
Re: Real-time port 30003 output
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 10:29:44 PM »
HI Allocator

Good question !
If the matter is to discuss networks.... switches, routers and so on, I am Cisco CCNA....
Lets start !

Hahhhahhhhhha

Sometimes the weather here becomes overloaded ...
I think that the life is for getting fun....
And I think that all of us are here because all of us have have something in common...

So... Be happy !

Cheers.....

gleff

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 09:24:11 AM »
The way I see it.. and this is purely my own opinion from someone who owns both the competitor's product as well as the RB.  The ability to design you're own apps adds to the value of the product rather than takes it away.  I do a little programming in VB and i've been using the competitor's product due to the lack of 5 minute delay in data for my software. 

Google has the right idea by open sourcing a lot of their products so third party apps can enhance the product offering.  As an example, people use their API's all the time to develop mashups and software, but it doesn't turn people away from using their software.  If anything, it adds to their value and people use it more.  The same can be said about Firefox and the extensions that are built. 

I personally don't think turning off the 5 minute delay would harm the live network simply because the network is already established and adds even more value to the device.

It's all about adding value to the device.  As mentioned earlier, this is a niche market and in my opinion the thing that differentiates is the ability to customize what you do with the live data.  Some great ideas can make the product stand out and improve the software if it was developed by the people rather than the internal developers at Airnav, or the competitor.

Personally, if I was airnav, I'd be changing the business model slightly, and doing things like creating an API for people to build their own applications with the live data, and removing the 5 minute delay. 

Airnav can still have their live network as I don't think it will harm their income model.  Look at the competitor.  People have had the live data patch for years, and there still isn't a network anywhere near as big as Airnav's live network. 

Essentially, the live network that already exists is big enough to hold it's own  as a value added service.  Add on top of that, the ability to build further enhancements by people that use the product, and I think it would be a huge selling point. 

Right now, I must admit, the biggest selling point of the competitor's product to me is the lack of 5 minute delay whether by native, or by patch.  We all know that everyone is asking for different features.  A lot of the features are already in the other product.  What better way of gaining market share than to match the other product's features, and allow an API for a mass of other applications to be built.

I have both devices because both have features I like.  If I was Airnav, i'd be focusing on matching every single feature, and then some, that way people won't give the competitor a second look. 

Because this is a niche product, I believe the more ways to customize the data, the better.

Just my own opinions though.  I really hope Airnav in their internal discussions decide to drop the 5 minute delay at the very least.  Imho it will really add value to the product.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:28:46 AM by gleff »
http://www.flighttracker.gleff.com - based in Sydney, Australia

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 10:32:50 AM »
I really hope Airnav in their internal discussions decide to drop the 5 minute delay at the very least.  Imho it will really add value to the product.

I suspect they already have - we should find out tomorrow either way.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

bratters

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 10:42:45 AM »

As above...................................................
..............................I have both devices because both have features I like.  If I was Airnav, i'd be focusing on matching every single feature, and then some, that way people won't give the competitor a second look. 

Because this is a niche product, I believe the more ways to customize the data, the better.

Just my own opinions though.  I really hope Airnav in their internal discussions decide to drop the 5 minute delay at the very least.  Imho it will really add value to the product.

Interesting post gleff. If I were Airnav I wouldn't leap into any quick response to what is at present no more than a paper tiger. No serious steps need be taken until the new competitor has actually unveiled his product and that product has been field tested and evaluated. Certainly no sane buyer will put his hand in his pocket until the thing has been properly market-tested, so no rush at the moment.

Launching in January would not be my choice (unable to make Nov/Dec?) and one wonders how their box will be marketed and sold. Direct sales only or through some retail outlets? £300 may be less but it ain't cheap in a restricted market place where one box is enough, two is a luxury and three would be for the favoured few. Whatever, IMO it's a tough ask to get up and running with a product of this nature in these tough times unless you have very substantial resources and a product that you know to be radical enough to sweep the board.

Airnav have the market share - even a thumb in the air measurement like forum traffic volumes will tell you who's doing the business and generating the comment. Complex decisions like when to bring out new hardware and make radical software changes are not easy but no way should they be influenced by gossip and rumour.

Now a sudden and cunning change of direction to take the wind out of competitors' sails would be a different matter.....

gleff

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 10:48:44 AM »
Actually, when I was referring to the competitor, I was referring to the SBS-1, not the new kid on the block.  But with a new kid on the block, it will certainly strengthen my argument in my opinion.

Deadcalm

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 04:05:15 PM »
If, as a result of the competition's "knee-jerk" reaction, Airnav decide (rightly, and at long last) to abandon the pointless 5 minute delay, does that then become a "knee-jerk" reaction to the "knee-jerk" reaction, I wonder?

It just goes to show that you need persistence and someone with the temerity to make a radical decision and go for it to eventually accede to what the customer really wants.  Airnav, if they do drop the delay, would just need to address the default sharing issue to make the product much more appealing.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 04:09:51 PM »
"If, as a result of the competition's "knee-jerk" reaction, Airnav decide (rightly, and at long last) to abandon the pointless 5 minute delay, does that then become a "knee-jerk" reaction to the "knee-jerk" reaction, I wonder?"

We will not fuel this kind of comment on our forum.
Rgd the last question: RadarBox is a market leader and that change wouldn't make the product much more appealing. Sales growth show that RadarBox is by far the most preferred ADS-B receiver now.

Deadcalm

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 05:07:14 PM »
Have it your way.  Heads in the sand.  I rest my case.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
Thats not correct Deadcalm.

We are listening and thinking about the repercussions. This forum sometimes give such a openness between management, development and the customers that customers get too comfortable in thinking they can demand and expect any change in the business model, software etc.. and for it to be acted upon.

Very few companies have this sort of openness and its not easy to manage both the business factor and keeping the customers happy in this kind of open forum.

Most (99%) companies take the easy way out and do not appear to discuss at all or provide this open communication. You should be aware of that and understand we can't within a forum post within a few minutes say yes we will change this decision.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

gleff

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 07:27:25 PM »
I am leaning towards agreeing with Deadcalm here.  You say "RadarBox is a market leader and that change wouldn't make the product much more appealing." 
If you believe this you are doing yourself a dis-service.  I am a customer who owns both devices, and I can tell you, turning the delay off WILL make the product more appealing. 

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2009, 07:31:47 PM »
Turning of the delay is being looked at seriously. Deadcalms comment we are sure is more towards the last part of his post about sharing.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 09:12:47 PM »
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Fenris

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2009, 06:31:44 PM »
I have just discovered that 3.11 beta appears to support a maximum of 3 simultaneous port 30003 connections.

It would be nice if this could be increased a little, say to 5 simultaneous connections?

OKC-Steve

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2009, 08:12:22 PM »
I have just discovered that 3.11 beta appears to support a maximum of 3 simultaneous port 30003 connections.

It would be nice if this could be increased a little, say to 5 simultaneous connections?

Can you list an example of 5 applications you would like to run at the same time?

Fenris

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2009, 08:18:22 PM »

Can you list an example of 5 applications you would like to run at the same time?

Well, at present I have Squawkbox, Planeplotter and SBS-1 Meter running, and I wanted to do a quick test with SBS-Plotter, which couldn't connect as the allocated sockets were all in use.

So, that's 4 simulataneous and I thought one spare would be nice.

Or maybe it could be made configurable :)