anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IATA and ICAO Designators for locating Flight Numbers  (Read 4859 times)

Bell 407

IATA and ICAO Designators for locating Flight Numbers
« on: October 30, 2009, 01:26:10 PM »
Hi All,

Does RadarBox look at both the IATA and ICAO designators when identifying a flight number from the database?

The reason why I ask this is that for example South African Airways has been loading SA323 (2 letter IATA code) on their B738's and SAA323 (three letter ICAO code) on their A319"s.

Now I have SAA323 in the database but not SA323. When I load the route SA323 into the database the flight route is still not listed on the flight details list or on the radar plot.

Does this mean that RadarBox is only using the 3-letter ICAO code to identify flight routes?

Any ideas?

Marc

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: IATA and ICAO Designators for locating Flight Numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 02:06:09 PM »
Does this mean that RadarBox is only using the 3-letter ICAO code to identify flight routes?

AFAIK, yes.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

John Racars

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 02:13:59 PM »
yes.

Dave, I do not agree. Or I must not understand it all.

When, for exemple, I see a SAS flight on my screen and the flightid start with SK in stead of SAS, the route will be displayed like it was SAS............
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 05:49:06 PM »
Dave, I do not agree. Or I must not understand it all.

When, for exemple, I see a SAS flight on my screen and the flightid start with SK in stead of SAS, the route will be displayed like it was SAS............

OK, I'll expand on that.

My understanding it that no translation between IATA and ICAO codes takes place.  If you pick up, say, SAS1016 and it's in your NavData database, then the corresponding route (ESSA-ESNS) will be displayed, if found, and if not the AirNav server will be queried and will return the same details.

If, on the other hand, you pick up SK1016 then you will only see a route displayed if SK1016 exists in your NavData database - any record for SAS1016 will be ignored.  Similarly, if the AirNav server is interrogated, SAS1016 will be found but SK1016 won't.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Bell 407

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 06:20:09 PM »
Hi guys,

OK, it seems that my setup will read both the IATA and ICAO codes depending what flight ID is presented (SA323 or SAA323). I have just rebooted my system and it seems to work for both.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the comments.

Marc