anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: antenna placing suggesions!  (Read 2388 times)

mdobuk21

antenna placing suggesions!
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »
Hi guys

I have recently moved to an apartment and obviously want to use my box just as much as i did at my previous home,the problem is the apartment has no loft and has a slanting roof so i cant put my antenna outside. I have a antenna which clips onto the window which has good range but as it is starting to get colder i obviously want to keep it shut!!!! I still have the supplied antenna but inside i dont get half as good range, any suggestions?

Cheers
Mark

1030man

Re: antenna placing suggesions!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »
You need to decide which window faces the direction that will give you the most traffic and best returns from your RB.
South facing is best for me so I have simply trapped the top of the RB supplied antenna in the rubber seal of the small opening top window of my south facing double glazed unit. The baseplate is supported by sitting on the handle of the window. I can detect aircraft up to 200nm south but only 50nm north and east due to walls in the house but up to 90nm west. I run this into my vista laptop.
I do have an external roof-ridge mounted aerial connected to my XP desktop but failed to get the two to talk so can only use one at a time and only indoors.
It's best to try as many positions as possible at a busy time as even slight moves of the antenna can give hugely differing returns.
Nr Biggleswade, Beds

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:56:17 PM »
Use a small feeder and trap it in the window when you close it.
Hang it on a piece of string ouside or from your ceiling.

103man - why does your XP not work?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

eggplant

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »
After I spent a small fortune on a new antenna, cable etc., I asked why wife for any suggestions on where to place it.  I won't repeat her response as it probably might not be helpful to you.
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

Spaice

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 01:10:29 PM »
Next time she suggests a new wardrobe, perhaps a little bartering should be engaged, you never know you may just get a result :)