AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Military airspace?  (Read 3205 times)

puddy

• Puddy's Homepage
Military airspace?
« on: June 10, 2009, 06:47:35 AM »

I don’t get any aircraft flying near me  Lat 52.9055    Long-0.0886  I can pick up aircraft going to the top part of the wash, could this dead airspace be closed military airspace? I do know we have a RAF  firing range near me and MOD control Eastern Radar near to my home.

I am within 5 min flying time for RAF Coningsby USAF Mildenhall  RAF Waddington RAF Marham  RAF Cranwell and USAF Lakenheath.  I do pick up a lot of RAF jets and USAF on my RD box and hear them!!!

Michael
Radar Box & AOR8200 mk3 scanner
South Lincolnshire near Boston (UK)

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
Re: Military airspace?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 07:53:52 AM »
Hi Michael,

Yes indeed, you are close to Wainfleet and Holbeach Air Weapons ranges as well as the East Anglian Military Training area and a multiude of military air bases so you won't get much civil OTT where you are.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

AllanK

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 10:14:35 PM »

I don’t get any aircraft flying near me  Lat 52.9055    Long-0.0886  I can pick up aircraft going to the top part of the wash, could this dead airspace be closed military airspace? I do know we have a RAF  firing range near me and MOD control Eastern Radar near to my home.

I am within 5 min flying time for RAF Coningsby USAF Mildenhall  RAF Waddington RAF Marham  RAF Cranwell and USAF Lakenheath.  I do pick up a lot of RAF jets and USAF on my RD box and hear them!!!

Michael

Puddy,
I am in sleaford and notice a similar dead airspace.  I pick up luton, EMA and stanstead reasonably well but little over lincolnshire at low level (<FL100!).  I do get the E/W airway over lincoln (nice to see the contrails out of the window as RB plots the aircraft).  I find a scanner is useful to fill in the gaps (ie local military activity).

--
Allan

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:08:22 AM »
i'm a little bit further north, and we get stuff for EGNJ and also EGCN other than that its all high level stuff.

It is quite a low level of activity area around here
15 Miles East of EGNJ