AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Here we go again - gone u/s again  (Read 10728 times)

EMA

Re: Here we go again - gone u/s again
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 08:27:01 AM »

So -I really think this one may  just be a duff box .

Lets hope so..............

Mine has just been running whilst we have experienced a thunderstorm, it was interesting to track the movements of aircraft to try and avoid the storm.

radarspotter10

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 10:06:59 AM »
daveg4otu
yes Dave i to would ask for replacement i would not feel right with a fixed up radar box ready go to bang again/again, where do you stop Dave
from pat

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Dave, something has to be wrong with your setup for the same situation to happen so many times under the same conditions. Please contact our support directly by email so we can find a definitive solution for this.

GlynH

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 12:19:52 PM »
Dave, something has to be wrong with your setup for the same situation to happen so many times under the same conditions. Please contact our support directly by email so we can find a definitive solution for this.

In the meantime AirNav do the decent thing and give the man a new box so you can start with a level playing field!

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 09:11:13 PM »
Dave,

We sorry you are experiencing issues. I am sure W&S will look into your case fully and fingers crossed you will get a new box or it will be repaired.

We have to be careful here and can't say yes we will send you new box asp. The reason why is a few people in the past have read these posts and have damaged there box by opening it and playing around and then sent it back complaining of the saw filter issue. So we need to check first that it is that cause before continuing.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

puddy

• Puddy's Homepage
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 05:17:19 AM »
Dave, something has to be wrong with your setup for the same situation to happen so many times under the same conditions..

I was so concerned about the reply from AirNav i.e its not the box and blame the end user that I went and purchased extended warranty plan.

For an item that cost £389 with 2 years warranty I wanted peice of mind just in case it blows up 1 week after the warranty expires.  So I am covered for 4 years now

Michael
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 05:30:31 AM by puddy »
Radar Box & AOR8200 mk3 scanner
South Lincolnshire near Boston (UK)

daveg4otu

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 10:00:04 AM »
An update for those who asked about the outcome...I have decided that 3  failures in 30 days or so is about 2 too many ...no matter what the reasoning.

FWIW I do not buy the "static" explanations pushed  by Airnav ...if this was so  ,most of the equipment I have here should have died a dozen deaths- and it is  apparent that the competition does not have this problem.

SO I have returned the RB to the supplier and been refunded....

For the moment I can do whatever I need using  Planeplotter and MLAT as  my primary interest is  Military  aircraft....and there is excellent SBS coverage  in this part of the country.

Maybe in the future when Airnav have managed to  make this  thing a lot more reliable I may be tempted again - it is after all said and done a nice piece of gear  but , quite apparent from this forum , some boxes  suffer from an  ongoing fault - maybe the SAW filter - maybe something else...but whatever it is  there are obviously  quite a few instances of the problem coming to light.

I would add - that I  wonder how many "new" users , not knowing what to expect, are in fact suffering from the "deafness" problem.

Personal opinion only - but  I  feel that the problem is possibly   more to do with Quality control than anything else(on the 2nd batch boxes)- and the place I would look to would be the soldering quality  during assembly - many of the defects reported here seem to lead back to "dry joints" on the USB socket and SAW filter...I believe the box is assembled using lead-free solder - which is (again I believe) more prone to dry joints.

Whatever...it's not all brickbats ...a bouquet to W&S who both times they had the box  turned it around very quickly ...in particular to Gary in their service dept who took the trouble to phone me the 2nd time and tell me it was on it's way back.

Thanks  also to all  who took the time to answer my questions here - including Airnav support- I'm not getting at you ANS - I just don't believe the "Static" explanation is the  complete answer.

DAve
5 Miles N of BHD at 50.28.28 N/3.30.43W...400ft amsl.

Hampshire, Devon, Dorset and Isle of Wight  Airfields Websites.....
http://devonairfields.tripod.com/index.htm

bratters

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »
Sorry to hear that Dave.

As a matter of interest, did your conversations with W&S throw any light on things? They must have some idea of what's going on, though they may not want to discuss it of course.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 01:13:18 PM »
We are sorry to hear that Dave.

Regarding new users, this fault is very rare and if does occur you would see a difference from your normal usage so its not something that new customers wouldn't pick up on.

We are going to lock this topic, as same discussion is being mentioned a few posts.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]