AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Could "radar box" really do this.....?  (Read 7616 times)

alley cat

Could "radar box" really do this.....?
« on: May 18, 2009, 05:52:48 AM »
I live in Oz and there is some talk of a new tracking system who's acronym I can't remember.  But it is BETTER than radar.

Basically it tracks all aircraft through something like a EPIRB/ELB/(what ever they are called where you are).  This data is flying around (no pun intended) and other aircraft get this and it builds a 3D map of things around you.

Great!  They will be &*^&*&^ expensive I presume.

Could the Airnav radarbox do the same kind of thing?  If each plane had a transponder with position and altitude in them, and each plane had one of these boxes, would that work?

Why I am asking is that laptops are nearly at the stage where they are SSD and cheap enough that you could get one with a small enough SSD drive to put airnav on and maybe a couple of other navigation things, and mount it on the pannel of the plane.

Yeah, ok, I've just lost ownership of the idea, but......   Could it work?

I think it would need to bit a bit "cut down" as:  As it is, it needs a fairly beefy machine to run it at a good rate, but, the future holds many suprises.

Ok, that's it.

Bye.
:)

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: Could "radar box" really do this.....?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 06:21:59 AM »
I thought EPIRBs and ELBs were emergency locator beacons activated by a downed aircraft ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

alley cat

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:28:44 AM »
True, but the transmit the position.

There is talk that something LIKE them will be introduced to all planes so they constantly broadcast their location.  Other planes receive this data and construct a 3D picture.

Since Airnav Radarbox does that part, all you need to install in the plane is a transmitter to broadcast your position/height.

Brian

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:33:48 AM »
The 406.MHz ELT is the only one that sends the position location.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_radiobeacon

alley cat

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:40:34 AM »
You lot aren't reading what I posted.

There is talk that here in Oz, all planes will transmit their position/height at all times.  This system is an open one where pilots are responsible for their position.

To do this, they need a transponder to transmit your position/height and a receiver to receive this data.  If you get close to another plane, you are told.

So, my question is:  Can the "airnav Radar box" do the receiving part of this?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 08:15:51 AM »
We can't answer that without knowing the details of this proposed system.

Though at the moment RadarBox only listens to the ADS-B frequency of 1090mhz at the moment. So if the data is on another frequency then RB will not pick it up.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 08:43:05 AM »
Probably something like the BlueSky network, that uses GPS and Iridium.

Cumulus

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:03:41 AM »
I live in Oz and there is some talk of a new tracking system who's acronym I can't remember. 

TIS-B  ?

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/bulletins/media/atb_aug_05.pdf

Radarbox cannot do this but this can..

http://www.radenna.com/

Cheers,

Peter
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:07:14 AM by Cumulus »

DaveReid

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 09:43:04 AM »
You lot aren't reading what I posted.

There is talk that here in Oz, all planes will transmit their position/height at all times.  This system is an open one where pilots are responsible for their position.

To do this, they need a transponder to transmit your position/height and a receiver to receive this data.  If you get close to another plane, you are told.

So, my question is:  Can the "airnav Radar box" do the receiving part of this?

I don't think you're reading what us lot have posted either  :-)

The planned implementation of ADS-B by Airservices Australia is common knowledge.

It has nothing to do with EPIRBs or ELBs, it doesn't (AFAIK) feature ADS-B-in or TIS-B and it uses standard Mode S as the carrier for the ADS-B transmissions, which means that existing Mode S receivers like RB and SBS can already pick up and decode the signals.

See www.airservicesaustralia.com/projectsservices/projects/adsb/default.asp
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:52:24 AM »
Isn't TIS-B only received by the aircraft from a ground station?
15 Miles East of EGNJ

dudbaker

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 03:37:24 PM »
Hi

Is this not TCAS. 

Dudley
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

DaveReid

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 04:41:29 PM »

dudbaker

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 05:07:39 PM »
Hello

Nope is a bit of a short answer.

TCAS Basically tracks all aircraft through something (not like a EPIRB/ELB/) which is actually the transponder.  This data is flying around (no pun intended) and other aircraft get this and it builds a 3D map of things around you.

The aircraft has the advantage, over the RB, of a 4 pole antenna on the roof which will give direction for mode A and C equipped aircraft.

You really need Mode C to get the 3D picture.

I read that Australia would like to develop this rather than build loads of radar sites.  Presumably, encouraging all aircraft to have Mode S ADS-B feeding a satellite system.

Dudley
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

DaveReid

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 05:23:16 PM »
Nope is a bit of a short answer.

OK, slightly longer answer  :-)

TCAS essentially works the opposite way round to ADS-B.

With ADS-B, aircraft broadcast their own location, principally for the benefit of ATC but also, with systems such as TIS-B (not relevant here) for the benefit of other aircraft.

With TCAS, aircraft simply broadcast their presence and it's up to the receiving aircraft to determine where the transmitting aircraft is and decide whether the target represents a threat.

As far as I can see, the "new" system being introduced in Australia is simply bog-standard ADS-B.

dudbaker

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 05:40:18 PM »
Hi

OK, which is what I meant.  The system is already here.  I used an overlap between TCAS and ADS-B.  The aircraft uses the TCAS display. My understanding is TCAS can use the ADS-B position rather than its DF antenna.  At the moment there is only a fly up or fly down solution.  As TCAS and ADS-B is developed then an addition of fly right or left solution is planned.

Dudley
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:42:16 PM by dudbaker »
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]