AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Taking RB as hand baggage - best way to protect RB and aerial  (Read 2534 times)

Tramline

I'm hoping to take my RB to the USA, but wondered how others pack and protect their RB and aerial for the rigours of rough handling which it'll no doubt suffer.

1. How do you protect the kit
2. Do you ever get asked what it is? And what do you say when asked?
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

Tramline

Re: Taking RB as hand baggage - best way to protect RB and aerial
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 04:25:34 PM »
Anyone?
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

Wayne

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »
Hi Tramline

Only ever taken mine into Europe but not had any problem in doing so. I pack the RB in a kind of bubble wrap pouch I got with something else and carry it along with my laptop and antenna in a laptop bag and keep that as hand baggage. At security when they ask you to remove laptops I leave the RB in and no one has ever said anything as it has gone through the scanner. I usually carry the product cover form the box just to show it is a commercially available product.

Hope that helps

Wayne

ACW367

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »
Been through 6 or 7 US airports with mine.  Again just unscrewed the aerial and plate from the lead and left them all in the front pocket of my rucksack.  No issues, no looks from security.  Security now seem very used to large electronic devices in handbaggage as I also usually carrying the laptop (seperated at screening), camera, DVD player and 3 charger units in the same bag. It must look a right spagetti soup on the xray.

Roland28

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 10:54:06 AM »
I took my RB with me to the Caribbean in January. I think that the case is robust enough anyway, so it was just packed in my laptop backpack with the leads unplugged.

The only concern was when security at Manchester did a full search of my backpack. They were not looking for or concerned by the RB itself but the antenna ground plane disk after it had shown up on their x-ray.  There were no such concerns at security at Gatwick a few hours later.