AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DPD Aerial experiment  (Read 26500 times)

Canonjohns40D

DPD Aerial experiment
« on: March 18, 2009, 07:38:11 PM »
I have attached a screenshot of my polar Diagram with the existing supplied aerial. Then as discussed see below,  I'll try the DPD internally in the same location for 24 hours.

HI Falcon I'm up for that as my DPD was to be fitted last weekend. Due to a 90th Birthday party (no not mine) and the fitter being "on duty" it didn't happen. I'll change it tonight around midnight and let it run for 24 hours at the window where the supplied aerial presently sits. I'll fit the flylead only into the radarbox for  a similar length cable run. It'll be interesting to see what happens and at least the DPD will get usage of some kind.

John
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 01:27:17 AM by Canonjohns40D »
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

Mark07

Re: DPD Aerial experiment
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »
Hi John,
What is blocking your signal to the W/SW?  Is it the Mournes/Sperrins?

Mark07

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 01:13:21 PM »
Hi John,
I have a watson external aerial on the gable wall running about 20m of Westflex back to the RB.  Screen shot attached.

Thanks
Mark

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 01:33:50 PM »
That's great coverage.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Mark07

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 01:39:29 PM »
Thanks Tom,
Around 215nm to the very SW corner out in the Atlantic

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 02:44:33 PM »
HI Mark excellent coverage indeed, I'd never leave the screen here with that coverage. Sadly the obstruction is not as picturesque as the Mountains. It's a combination of my own house and other houses around me on that side. That is why I'm keen to get an outside aerial mounted higher.

Having put the DPD up inside as discussed, overnight it collected 112 aircraft. About the average for me with the supplied aerial in a similar position. I didn't look at the polar diagram yet as it was a bit too soon. I'll keep you informed of progress.

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

Mark07

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »
Yes it's very addictive indeed!  I noticed a big difference when I mounted the external antenna.  It is also fitted with a pre-amp which I know that some people dispute as being of use or not,  but in my case it works a treat!

What sort of distance (nm) are you getting out to the NE where you are getting the best reception?

Mark07

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:18:48 PM »
Hi John,
Being a pain I know it's just your coverage I thought would be better than what you have on the polar.  You don't look like you are getting traffic landing at Belfast International would that be correct?

I am orginally from Newtownabbey and when I connected up at my parents house with the ordinary supplied antenna I'm sure I was getting better coverage than what you are getting and they have Carnmoney Hill right behind them...

I would have thought you would have good line of sight from Bangor right out over the Irish Sea, well into Scotland/IOM and into Wales as well.

Having said that I know each individual user has unique circumstances (trees/buildings etc) so it's hard to know.

I will be viditing friends in Bangor over the coming weeks and will be bringing RB with me.  It will be interesting to see what the range is like from where they live in Conlig.

Good luck and keep us posted on your venture.

Thanks
Mark

Mark07

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 04:26:11 PM »
This is where I can stretch to John in the East.  Consider that I live virtually on the Atlantic on the West coast (Sligo)!

The Easyjet flight highlighted in Scotland was a distance of 173nm and was in 'my flights' when I took the screenshot

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 05:05:20 PM »
HI Mark you are not being a pain it's interesting to discuss the hobby and I'm keen to push the reception as far as I can. I'm just about to leave work so I'll respond from home to the line of sight etc after tea.

John

GlynH

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »
I have a watson external aerial on the gable wall running about 20m of Westflex back to the RB.  Screen shot attached.

Hi Mark,

I too have a Watson on the gable end of my house connected with Westflex 103 but mine is on top of a 17 foot pole!

Unfortunately I have had to rig up a temporary extension cable with a dodgy N type connector to the Westflex but I do plan to do a proper job when I do finally get round to it as my range seems a bit down on last year...

I don't have a pre-amp but did consider the Kuhne mainly as a first line of defence against ESD...

I do wonder what coverage would be like with a pre-amp though ;^)

Here is an attached picture of my polar diagram FYI

Just curious as to what you use to connect the Westflex to the RB?

I use an N Type->SMA adaptor but every time I look at that thick cable mated to the tiny SMA of the RB it makes my blood run cold...

Regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 04:27:02 PM by GlynH »

Mark07

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »
Hi Glyn,
Excellent coverage as good as my own.  I think the Watson antenna is well worth the money!!

I have the ELAD pre amp fitted.  There are 2 connections that come into the ELAD BT12-DC.  One is the thick westflex and the other which goes to the RB is simply a 'flylead' with a BNC connector.

I can post a pic if you want to see it.

Thanks,
Mark

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 07:02:47 PM »
Hi Mark, Excellent coverage indeed - is this the same antenna as I've got (but not up yet :-( ) the Watson Radar Extender?   Do you find there's any null with A/C overhead or within a close radius?

Hi Glyn, as it sounds as though you're looking at a fair run of co-ax, I'd definitely suggest going for the Elad mast head amp., I don't know anything about the Kuhne or whether it's intended for exterior use .
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Mark07

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 07:06:25 PM »
The very one Jon.  I never get 'null' on any of my flights.  Obviously there are some flights that go overhead which don't show on the radar purely beacuse they aren't transmitting a Mode-S signal.

A very good antenna indeed. 

GlynH

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 07:12:18 PM »
Hi Glyn,
Excellent coverage as good as my own.  I think the Watson antenna is well worth the money!!

I have the ELAD pre amp fitted.  There are 2 connections that come into the ELAD BT12-DC.  One is the thick westflex and the other which goes to the RB is simply a 'flylead' with a BNC connector.

I can post a pic if you want to see it.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Excuse my ignorance but isn't the Elad a mast-head pre-amplifier?

Regards,
-=Glyn=-