anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I live in the south-west of england - will the radar box be worth it?  (Read 6612 times)

Johnn

• Y'ello
I live in the south-west of england in dorset, I have not seen much aircraft activity here, I am like 50 - 70 miles from the nearest airport - (Bournemouth)
Would buying the radarbox be still worth it?  as the range would have to be pretty good to track aircraft at bournemouth from here.

Thanks
John
Johnn -

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: I live in the south-west of england - will the radar box be worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:12:42 AM »
Range of coverage can be anything up to 200+ miles, so I'd have thought that you'd see aircraft around BIA okay.   Attached is a quick screenshot of network aircraft centred on Bournemouth.

I myself live in the far north of Scotland, although I use to live just outside Bournemouth (at Verwood)!!  My current screenshot is at http://www.tarbat.gofreeserve.com/radarbox.htm
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:20:44 AM by tarbat »

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:23:01 AM »
I live in the south-west of england in dorset, I have not seen much aircraft activity here, I am like 50 - 70 miles from the nearest airport - (Bournemouth)
Would buying the radarbox be still worth it?  as the range would have to be pretty good to track aircraft at bournemouth from here.

Thanks
John

John,

Remember that you will have access to everybody else's data too via the RadarBox Network.  See the user location map on the RadarBox Utilities website here:

http://radarbox.gofreeserve.com

Allocator

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »
Hi John, I think the answer is an unqualified YES!   I'm a lot farther west than you, on the Lizard peninsula, and with just the standard twig, when the weather permits me to lean out of the window, I pick up 5 - 25 at a time.  What is your location like, if you're at the bottom of a valley or surrounded by tall buildings/trees etc., you will be rather limited on direct reception (1090Mhz is line of sight - and doesn't pass through windows and walls so well).   I'm expecting to have much increased range when I get a Radar Extender and Elad 12-1090 erected outside, but time will tell.

Go for it, you won't regret it.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Rural Outpost

• Still waiting to pick up a DAN AIR HS748 !
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 08:34:34 PM »
Johnn,

I live in North Dorset and am very glad I purchased the box. Although there is not as much traffic as in some parts of the country there is still enough to keep you interested. Airway UR 9 can be busy with traffic out of Europe and LHR/LGW tracking over the top. We also get alot of military flights.  The good thing about the box is that if you have a lap top you can take it where ever you like. The only thing that I find negative......is that you know what you missed when it is cloudy !
If you have any questions then just ask. You will be very surprised just how much time you will spend using airvav !

Rural Outpost

briand

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 09:56:43 AM »
Hi

i live in lincolnshire and i was worried about non network flights not being an area
you think of civil flights but i took the plunge anyway best thing ive ever bought
the live flights are amazing

Johnn

• Y'ello
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 07:39:41 PM »
Hi There
Thanks for all the replys!
Just another question, What kind of range can the antenna supplied in the box do with no obstructions?
Also is it possible to set the map up only to show aircraft flying near by my location? - what happens to the aircraft on the screen when it runs out of range from my antenna?
hope some of that makes sence.
Thanks again
Johnn
Johnn -

Rural Outpost

• Still waiting to pick up a DAN AIR HS748 !
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 08:09:13 PM »
Johnn,

The antenna picks up upto about 200 miles ? However, locally because of all the hills etc I find from my location I get about 50 miles north and East and about 70 miles West. It really depends how high you put your aerial and what obstructions are in the way. I find the supplied antenna is ideal enough as it is. You can simply chose to view only aircraft yoo pick up with your aerial by simply chosing not to pick up network flights at the click of a button.
When aircraft go out of your aerials range the aircraft will drop off of your own list, but may still be visible on the map if someone else on the network is picking it up and you chose to view network. I chose to have network on because it gives me a heads up of aircraft heading my way.
Rural Outpost

davjhedges

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
hi Johnn,i have had an rb since xmas very pleased with the machine,but if possible get an external aerial,clear of your roof profile,the difference in my flights is dramatic.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 09:09:35 PM »
Hi There
Thanks for all the replys!
Just another question, What kind of range can the antenna supplied in the box do with no obstructions?
Also is it possible to set the map up only to show aircraft flying near by my location? - what happens to the aircraft on the screen when it runs out of range from my antenna?
hope some of that makes sence.
Thanks again
Johnn

Johnn,

See the RadarBox Utilities website and look at the Polar Diagrams page:

http://radarbox.gofreeserve.com

You can see both standard and external antenna polar diagrams here.  Don't forget that you can use Network data outside your area of coverage.

Johnn

• Y'ello
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 09:44:25 PM »

Hi There, Thanks that website was really useful!, Would there be any external antennas out there what you could reccommend? to be wall mounted outside?>
Thanks
Johnn -

leading light

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »
Johnn,

Just for info I live in Dorset not to far from EGHH and I had a friend make me an several different types and designs of antenna to try in my loft.  The most successful was one made out of copper wire and it was based on a Franklin design.  Attached to the aerial is some quite thick coax to alleviate as much signal loss as possible. 

The results are very good and I can see a good range of traffic in all directions. 

The important thing is the positioning and several hours have been spent testing this out.  The fact the antenna was constructed from scratch and all the testing involved with different designs etc for me has added to the overall satisfaction of using the kit.

Good luck and happy viewing

LL