AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Excellent new antenna in the U.S.  (Read 60307 times)

les

Re: Excellent new antenna in the U.S.
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2009, 09:02:16 PM »
Hi all,
as a technical newbie, can someone please tell me if i buy this antenna do i need to be worried about killing my radarbox if i dont put a dc block in line? i would like an external antenna but not if there is a chance of tears before bedtime, especially as i had to save long and hard for it.

thanks

Fenris

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2009, 11:00:07 PM »
Hi all,
as a technical newbie, can someone please tell me if i buy this antenna do i need to be worried about killing my radarbox if i dont put a dc block in line? i would like an external antenna but not if there is a chance of tears before bedtime, especially as i had to save long and hard for it.

thanks

A DC block is not necessarily going to help a lot, perhaps a better approach would be to use something like a 1dB attenuator (from MiniCircuits for instance) as this would discharge any static build up whereas a DC block is essentially a capacitor and is not designed for large DC voltages, it could flash over internally creating exactly the sort of current spike that can cause problems.

ENKB

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2009, 09:15:52 PM »
Any updated info regarding the antennas ?

spikem

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2009, 12:38:11 AM »
Mine is working a treat, No problems. A few others are just in the process of installing them I believe.

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2009, 05:26:53 PM »
Mine should be up this weekend weather permitting. The frustrating part was getting the mounting pole for it. This is, thankfully, now sorted so roll on Saturday/Sunday.

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

peteeds

• RADIO AMATEUR (2W1FJZ - MW3PET )
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »
Hi Guys,  My DPD is up & running, early indications are looking good,My old system was a BS External ant on a 40 ft mast, Elad Masthead amp, westflex coax with a Jim M75 internal amp at the box at an outlay of nearly £600 .00. \the DPD is doing as well if not better & is completely unassisted. It seems to be very much more sensitive on receive. I am just giving it a few days to build up the polar diagram but getting sigs where I got nothing before. Looking promising.

Cheers Peteeds 2W1 FJZ.

ENKB

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2009, 02:25:29 PM »
I am considering an external antenna so i awaits "user reports".

Falcon

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2009, 04:21:25 PM »
I am considering an external antenna so i awaits "user reports".

Hello,

I would also like to hear more feedback from those who have installed this antenna.

It would be interesting to hear from those who have gone from using the stock RB antenna to the DPD antenna. The best comparison would be if someone used the DPD antenna in a location that was the same or very close to the location of the original with a similar length cable run, even if it was just temporarily to compare the approximate performance difference of the two.

If you went from using the RB antenna indoors next to a window to mounting the DPD on top of the house then any comparison comments are not going to help much, but anything would be appreciated even if your new antenna did go straight to the roof.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:42:39 PM by Falcon »

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2009, 05:28:17 PM »
HI Falcon I'm up for that as my DPD was to be fitted last weekend. Due to a 90th Birthday party (no not mine) and the fitter being "on duty" it didn't happen. I'll change it tonight around midnight and let it run for 24 hours at the window where the supplied aerial presently sits. I'll fit the flylead only into the radarbox for  a similar length cable run. It'll be interesting to see what happens and at least the DPD will get usage of some kind.

John
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:35:05 PM by Canonjohns40D »
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

Falcon

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2009, 05:47:43 PM »
HI Falcon I'm up for that as my DPD was to be fitted last weekend. Due to a 90th Birthday party (no not mine) and the fitter being "on duty" it didn't happen. I'll change it tonight around midnight and let it run for 24 hours at the window where the supplied aerial presently sits. I'll fit the flylead only into the radarbox for  a similar length cable run. It'll be interesting to see what happens and at least the DPD will get usage of some kind.

John

Hi John,

Excellent. I await your feedback.

OKC-Steve

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2009, 05:20:12 AM »
I bought one of these antennas to see how well it works compared to the stock antenna. I didn't get any change in contacts.  Since I don't really get many contacts because there really are so few anyway, the antenna doesn't really extend my range.  Note: I get more mode-s, then ADS-B.

The advantage of this antenna though, is its grounded design. I live in tornado alley and that means we get a lot of lightning (we are having an electrical storm as I type, and all my antennas are disconnected from the radios).  Not only do antenna's need grounding and have fuses in-line, you need lightning rods to attract lightning away from your antennas.

So, as with most things, curiousity compelled me to disassemble it.  I pulled the two plugs (top and bottom, and pushed the antenna out the bottom to take a look.

First impression is very good.  The whole antenna is placed in a schedule 80 PVC pipe (overkill, as a schedule 40 would be good enough).  This PVC pipe will not flex.  Then the antenna elements are covered in a thick shrink-wrap to keep out moisture/condensation and add to the rigidity.  Without taking the shrink-wrap off I can see that this is a 10 (1/2-wave) element collinear, with a 1/4 wave stub at the top and at the base.

The construction is top-notch.  I decided to not let my curiousity cause me to remove the shrink-wrap, as I can feel under it, that they seem to use a rod to make the length rigid, and place the mini-coax soldered elements against the rod.  I don't know what the rod is made out of (obviously not a conductor), but it seems pretty firm.

This is a quality made antenna.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:35:54 AM by OKC-Steve »

juangelb

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
    • Máquinas Voadoras
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2009, 11:26:30 AM »
Hi OKC-Steve

First of all, thanks a lot for sharing all this information.
This kind of antenna (ten dipoles) has more than 6 Dbs gain and will work very fine.
But You always need to have clear horizon, if possible 360 degrees.
About ligting, bolts ... I can say that I have 2 antennas just like ..
One with 21 dipoles (grounded) and one with 8 dipoles (not grounded)
I never disconnect the cables from RBs, even when hard ligtening, bolts and so on, for two years and never had some problems neither in SBS nor RB.
Both antnnae are at 16nth floor, so very exposed to discharges...
Maybe that some people got problems with RBs due to low moisture area...
This can produce EDS at connecting the cable to the RB and damage it.

Well, theese are my own experience ...

Best Regards. Juan

spikem

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
Hi OKC-Steve

I was suprised that the antenna did not extend your range compared to the stock antenna. One thing that was mentioned when I contacted Dave at DPD productions was to ensure that no more than the  lower 7 inches of the antenna are connected to the mast, as any more has a limiting affect on it's performance. You are probably aware of this already but the info is handy for other users

Regards
Spikem

OKC-Steve

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2009, 09:57:26 PM »
I thought the antenna might help me see some of the stuff south of me, coming out of DFW airport.  Alas, the town here is actually in a very large valley, and you don't notice it until you drive about 10 miles south and then you can see the whole valley below.  It's this ridge that kind of blocks me.

I think I'm seeing more mode-s hits though.  Just not a lot of ads-b around here.  After about midnight I don't receive anything at all.  I think they even roll up the sidewalks...

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2009, 11:13:34 PM »
It's up it's up. Finally the aerial was mounted on the roof this evening. Initial thoughts?

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!

I have attached a screen shot of the polar diagram running for approx 2 hourss. I have had Tornados a first for me and well the polar diagram says it all. The aerial is on a 6ft pole on the chimney stack.

I can't wait for a full day of traffic. My flights would normally be showing around 10 maybe 14 aircraft on a good night late evening .This evening after it was erected I was in the 50+ mark.

Regards

John