AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UAL Not displaying Aircraft Symbol  (Read 6046 times)

Tailwinds

UAL Not displaying Aircraft Symbol
« on: December 04, 2008, 02:36:22 PM »
Whenever I pick up any UAL aircraft using "My Flights", I get all the info such as Flight ID and Origin/Destination etc, but I always get a cross inside a circle. The sort of symbol you get on a Timeout. These tracked UAL aircraft are NOT being Timed Out and I can track them across my antenna coverage but it always stays as a cross in a circle, it never changes into an aircraft symbol. Can anybody shed any light on this for me please?

Thanks.
Warning!!! Airnav RadarBox is extremely addictive!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: UAL Not displaying Aircraft Symbol
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 02:40:02 PM »
I think that symbol means that the aircraft isn't transmitting it's heading.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 02:40:14 PM »
The aircraft is not broadcasting its heading (or it hasn't been picked up yet ) so the icon shows as a circle rather than a aircraft.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Tailwinds

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 02:52:48 PM »
But this is happening with all UAL aircraft. UAL915 and UAL 935 just two examples this morning. I don't get this with any other airlines.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 02:56:49 PM »
The aircraft is not broadcasting its heading (or it hasn't been picked up yet ) so the icon shows as a circle rather than a aircraft.

As per our previous discussion, it's actually track, not heading, that's missing from many UAL aircraft, e.g. the B772s (they do in fact transmit heading, but it's not currently being decoded or displayed).

Now that you have undertaken to display both track and heading in the next RadarBox release, you really should start referring to them correctly  :-)

Dave
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Tailwinds

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 03:23:22 PM »
Just spotted also that KAC101 (a B772), which has just departed Heathrow (EGLL), also displays a circle. I see that despite all information showing on the Radar, it is not displaying a HDG in the table. What's even more annoying, is that even though it has just departed Heathrow, it has origin of OKBK-EGLL (Kuwait).

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 03:47:57 PM »
Same on my box, but is the route because it has left Kuwait City and stopped over at Heathrow before continuing onto JFK?

DaveReid

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
Same on my box, but is the route because it has left Kuwait City and stopped over at Heathrow before continuing onto JFK?

Exactly.

That's why IMHO it's essential for a flight route lookup service to ask for the lat/lon of the aircraft.

Try http://www.flightroutelookup.com/FlightRoute/FlightLookup.wso?op=FlightLookup - depending on what you input for the current location of the KAC101, it will either return OKBK-EGLL, EGLL-KJFK or (if the aircraft is close to London) OKBK-EGLL-KJFK.

Incidentally I don't think the KAC B772s transmit any speed/track/heading data.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Tailwinds

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 04:08:53 PM »

That's why IMHO it's essential for a flight route lookup service to ask for the lat/lon of the aircraft.

Try http://www.flightroutelookup.com/FlightRoute/FlightLookup.wso?op=FlightLookup -

Why does it need a username? Do you have to register?

DaveReid

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 04:26:09 PM »
Why does it need a username? Do you have to register?

Username Tester will work fine.