AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: About to buy RB....  (Read 9617 times)

Tramline

About to buy RB....
« on: November 16, 2008, 10:26:49 AM »
Thanks to Tarbat, I've decided to buy RB in the next month or so.  I'll be buying a dedicated laptop for its use, but I've a few questions...

1.  Many new laptops are Vista only - does RB have any issues with Vista?  Should I get Windows XP instead?

2.  What system requirements are req'd to run RB

3. Can it run on a 'wireless' laptop - obviously RB and aerial would need to be attached but anything else? i.e can I sit in the garden with it and have RB work?

4. I'm a technophobe!   Is it as simple as it sounds from box being delivered - CD Rom run then just connect up and thats it?   

5. Is it simple to add 'aircraft' you 'need to see' so an alert is sounded when it comes into view.

6.  It really does sound and look a great system.   Has anyone got any advice for a complete beginner with RB?

7.  Anyone local to LHR (and therefore me) who has the system and would be happy to help mentor once I've the system delivered - see No.4!

Many thanks
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: About to buy RB....
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:32:58 AM »
Welcome Tramline!

Radarbox runs just fine on Vista - it's what I run without problems.  Only suggestion is that when you install Radarbox, don't install into the default installation folder, instead use something like C:\AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox 2009.  It avoids any complications in the future with Vista's Virtual Store.

Wireless laptop will be just fine.  As you say, the Radarbox hardware will need to be connected, although you could use a wireless USB extender to go totally wireless, with the hardware and antenna back in the house.

You can setup alerts for specific ModeS codes, Registrations, Flight IDs, Aircraft Type, Squawk Codes, etc.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:35:56 AM by tarbat »

Tramline

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:50:52 AM »
Welcome Tramline!

Radarbox runs just fine on Vista - it's what I run without problems.  Only suggestion is that when you install Radarbox, don't install into the default installation folder, instead use something like C:\AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox 2009.  It avoids any complications in the future with Vista's Virtual Store.

How is this done? I assumed I just put the CD in and it loaded it self to the correct place.

grateful for an idiots guide...for an idiot!

Thanks

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:58:10 AM »
During installation, it will ask where you want to install.  You just change it to this.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 11:01:20 AM »
Tramline,

Welcome to the forum!

I second everything that tarbat says there.  The big advantage of RadarBox is that you don't need any 3rd party programmes to get it working.  There are "extras" that you can add, like outline files for airspace and extra airport layouts, but you can do these later if you want.

I'm working about 5 miles north of Heathrow in the week, so I'm not too far away if you need any advice.  I haven't used Vista, so can't advise too much there, but I've installed RadarBox twice on a Vista laptop without any problems. I'd suggest that you will be able to get any answers you need here on the forum anyway - don't be afraid to ask, even if it's a subject that has been covered before.

The only really critical bit during the install is to make sure you install the RadarBox USB drivers rather than letting Windows do its own thing.  It's not a show-stopper if you do this wrong first time, as it's easy to do after the install as long as you know where to look for the drivers.  Also, if you plug RadarBox into a different USB port, then you have to install the drives for that port too - this is a know Windows issue, not a RadarBox issue.

All the best

Allocator

Tramline

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »
Tramline,

Welcome to the forum!

I second everything that tarbat says there.  The big advantage of RadarBox is that you don't need any 3rd party programmes to get it working.  There are "extras" that you can add, like outline files for airspace and extra airport layouts, but you can do these later if you want.

I'm working about 5 miles north of Heathrow in the week, so I'm not too far away if you need any advice.  I haven't used Vista, so can't advise too much there, but I've installed RadarBox twice on a Vista laptop without any problems. I'd suggest that you will be able to get any answers you need here on the forum anyway - don't be afraid to ask, even if it's a subject that has been covered before.

The only really critical bit during the install is to make sure you install the RadarBox USB drivers rather than letting Windows do its own thing.  It's not a show-stopper if you do this wrong first time, as it's easy to do after the install as long as you know where to look for the drivers.  Also, if you plug RadarBox into a different USB port, then you have to install the drives for that port too - this is a know Windows issue, not a RadarBox issue.

All the best

Allocator

Hi Allocator,  I live in Staines so RB will be very handy and good to know your local as well.  How do I RB USB Drivers rather than Windows do its own thing?

Thanks once again for your comments and advice

Tramline

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 11:10:54 AM »
During installation, it will ask where you want to install.  You just change it to this.

Tarbat, that's great thankyou.   

Does the RB come with complete instructions for adding alerts as per your screen shot?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 11:20:14 AM »
Yes, there's a 90 page manual in pdf form, and that details the installation process, in it's "Getting Started" section. There's a couple of pages on the Alert function, and Radarbox also has a comprehensive help function.

It really is very easy to install and get started, even for someone of more "mature" years like me!!

You can also download the full software for free and try it out in demo mode - http://www.airnavsystems.com/download/anrb/anrb20setup.exe
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:25:01 AM by tarbat »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 06:49:49 PM »
On the question of system requirements, there's an earlier thread discussing the PC minimum specification for Radarbox, and Airnav stated "Anything near 1ghz and 256mb of ram should be enough to run it nicely."

And Allocator even had Radarbox running on an Asus eeePC901 - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1413
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 06:52:25 PM by tarbat »

Tramline

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 09:51:22 AM »
Thanks again, Chris.   

This question is really for AirNav.

I've decided to buy a 'stand alone' laptop to run RB.   My question is the operating system choice.

Does Vista cause any issues or should I choose XP (although it costs more to install as Vista is the 'new' standard.

Also if I buy RadarBox today is it RB 2008 plus disc or is it a new '2009' with one CD - ROM.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Either Operating System is fine, there should be no issues.

The 2009 CDs should be in the all the boxes around at the moment now. However it depends where you buy from, some dealers may have few older ones however regardless you can download the latest software from our site.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Tramline

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 10:04:33 AM »
Hi thanks for the quick response.  I've been very impressed with the people and service on this forum and it looks a great product.

I assume if I order direct with you they'll contain the '2009' product?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 10:12:20 AM »
Yes, we have the 2009s in stock.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Tramline

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 10:43:39 AM »
I decided I'm going to buy RB 2009 and I'll buy a 'stand alone' Laptop to run it.  Obviously, I've read lots about 'alerts' etc and like everyone else I have loads of 'gaps' of AF, LH, SR, AZ etc - actually all airlines :-( but do I have to enter each 'needed' reg into RB, or is there a less labour intensive way of loading the 'wanted' or 'would like to see' list into RB.

I'm sorry if I'm asking basic questions and I've been very grateful for everyone's patience and help so far.

Also, I live in Staines, about 5 miles from LHR in a detached house with only one large tree in garden to the South, i.e not in line of sight of LHR and was wondering using the supplied antenna indoors in my 'studio' what I should be able to pickup on my radar?  Also, I live right under one of the main USA - EU airways - UL1?  DVR - CPT - STU and hope I'll get stunning returns :-) ....any comments or thoughts?

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 12:59:40 PM »
Hi Tramline

Sounds like you're in a great position there. Just remember that the aerial is line-of-sight, though it can dimly see through some walls, roof tiles etc, so you should be fine for LHR and for overflights.

As to the alerts, sound like they'll be going off every ten seconds! You probably only need the alerts for unusual aircraft - all aircraft you pick up are logged anyway.

Tarbat gave the link for you to download the latest software, and you can experiment with that in Demo mode - you won't even need the installation CD if you do that before you get your actual RadarBox, then all you have to do is plug in the box, point it to the Airnav drivers, and you're in business.

Rod
Rod