AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Red Arrows & Mode-S  (Read 5705 times)

GlynH

Red Arrows & Mode-S
« on: September 30, 2008, 12:27:51 PM »
Hi there,

Thought you might like to know I emailed the Red Arrows last week and asked them the following;

----------snip----------
I wonder if you can help me with a technical enquiry please?
Do you have or do you intend to equip your Hawk T1's with either Mode-S Transponders or better still ADS-B transponders at any time please?
I and many others use hardware/software such as the AirNav Radarbox to track and/or record aircraft movements not only in the UK but Worldwide.
Obviously full ADS-B would be best but I understand and appreciate that as RAF Military aircraft you may not want to divulge positional information (as does most of the RAF fleet) but even they transmit Mode-S usually accompanied with Aircraft Registration/Serial and sometimes Altitude information so at least we would know when you guys are airborne even if we were unable to track your position.
So how about it? :-)
Looking forward to your reply.
----------snip----------

Today I received the following;

----------snip----------
Thanks for your email.  You will be interested to know that we are just about start a programme of installing Mode-S transponders in our aircraft.  No forecast completion date as yet.
Regards,
John May
J H MAY
Warrant Officer
Red Arrows Adjutant
----------snip----------

If any of you are interested details of their 13 Hawk T1 aircraft are as follows;

XX179
XX227
XX233
XX237
XX242
XX253
XX260
XX264
XX266
XX292
XX294
XX306
XX308

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Terry

Re: Red Arrows & Mode-S
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:44:18 PM »
Nice one Glyn,
                      No doubt if i posed that question to them,there would be a knock at the door and two MI6 heavies would carry me off,probably not to be seen for a few months he!he!.good info though matey.

Terry.