anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New problems?  (Read 10163 times)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: New problems?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »
AS I mentioned before that problem is now corrected. We are waiting for other reports of other problems sent to our support so we can release a patch soon.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »
Could this be a Vista thing?
The one thing to watch out for with Vista is virus scanning of the Virtual Store.  When you setup any virus scanning exceptions, you'll need exceptions for both the ANRB standard installation folder, and it's equivalent folder(s) in the Virtual Store.  Otherwise you'll find your PC taken over by the virus scanner checking every aircraft picture downloaded and every database update, and that will kill performance in ANRB.

Lou

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 09:16:44 PM »
Hi Tarbat. What is virtual store? I`m not using Vista firewall or Windows Defender, I use AVG Comodo Spybot and Adaware (Lavasoft) sorry for my ignorance,at various times I`ve disabled all my security software to try and get to the bottom of this problem

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 07:49:50 AM »
The Virtual Store is where Vista stores files that are updated by programs in their own installation folder.  So, ANRB tries to store all it's databases, files, aircraft photos, etc. in:
C:\Program Files\AirNav Systems

Vista sees this as a possible security threat, and diverts all these updates to the Virtual Store in:
C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\AirNav Systems , where xxxxxxxx is your Windows Account Name.

What this means to the end-user is:
1. Any virus scanning exceptions you put in place for the program have to also be put in place for the Virtual Store.  Without these virus scanning exceptions, performance of ANRB can slow right down as all updates, photos, etc. get scanned for viruses.
2. If you're trying to view/update any of these files OUTSIDE OF the Radarbox program, you need to look in the Virtual Store.

My own personal recommendation is to not install most programs (including ANRB) in their default location.  Far better to install them anywhere else (not in Program Files), and so avoid all these Virtual Store complications.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:52:25 AM by tarbat »

Lou

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »
Thanks for your help Tarbat I`ve re-installed in a dedicated folder and things are really flying,I`ve also noticed that processor usage has dropped by about 20% and its not eating up all my ram now, even though I`ve cleared as much of the junk as I can out of Vista its still a dead weight I will probably go back to XP I bought an OEM version just in case. Thanks again for your help.