AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Map Heading  (Read 5009 times)

ukpbz

Map Heading
« on: August 27, 2008, 10:38:52 PM »
It would be really cool if in a future release you can change the heading of the map from North only. I do a lot of travelling and having to work out what is travelling where as I usually can't park facing North is a nightmare :-)

You guys seem to do most other things, how about this?

Cheers

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Map Heading
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 10:45:55 PM »
If you search the forum (I know the search isn't great) this has been asked before a few times.

To save you searching, we would like to add it but due to the graphics system and the way we display the globe we would need a complete change. However that does not means its ruled out, just it may take some time.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

ukpbz

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 07:46:04 AM »
Hi

Thanks for the quick response. I am one who has asked before :-) You have such a great product but this is such a huge flaw (IMHO). If that could be added you would have a near perfect device :-)

Thanks

tommyg

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:59:07 AM »
I would like to add my name as wanting this option as well plus I would also like the option to rearrange the columns in my flights to suit my use of RB. The other item on my wish list would be the quickfilter buttons. I use the interface side by side and if i use the quickfilter i have to move the screen to get to the showall button to revert back. Just minor quibbles but with so many users we are all going to use RB in different ways.
Tommyg

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 10:11:55 AM »
It would be really cool if in a future release you can change the heading of the map from North only. I do a lot of travelling and having to work out what is travelling where as I usually can't park facing North is a nightmare :-)

You guys seem to do most other things, how about this?

Cheers

A few comments regarding the map direction, just out of interest .......

In my experience, the air traffic control radar display almost always has north at the top.  The only exception to this is when there is a radar repeater display in the Visual Control Room (tower) and the controller is facing a direction other than north.  By having the display orientated to show "what you see out of the window" can make it easier to spot aircraft.  However, as Tower controllers are often Radar controllers too, then this does tend to screw your mind up a bit!  When Radar calls the Tower to give traffic information on zone crossers, it's much easier to find the aircraft on the repeater display with north at the top.

"Zone crosser, south-west to north-east to pass 5 miles west at 2000ft QFE"

Now imagine trying to find that on the repeater if you have east at the top of your display!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 10:20:55 AM »
Okay, I'll throw my view in.  I would like the option of changing the heading.

When I had my SBS-1, I used North most of the time, but I had one special view setup orientiated to my desk, so I could quickly see where in the sky to look for an aircraft flying nearby.

In fact, I still use such a view in Planeplotter, but of course, it's 5-min delayed.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 10:27:03 AM »
Yes, I think that the option would be nice to have.  I think that most users would also accept it if only one version of the map - say the Mercator projection - worked with this option.  No need to have all the map projections working this way if that is too difficult.