anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Feature Suggestion  (Read 2824 times)

testmonkey

Feature Suggestion
« on: August 06, 2008, 11:18:03 PM »
Hi All,

New on here. Spotted RB just over a week ago and thought 'I gotta get me one of those!' 6 days later I was sitting down to watch the action :)

One thing I've noticed (and it's been mentioned in other posts here) is how some aircraft will appear multiple times in the logs for a single flight. I understand that this is caused when contact is lost with the aircraft and so when it's next picked up by RB another log entry is created for it. For me part of the reason for having an RB is to track how many times I've seen an aircraft perform different flights. Obviously as things currently stand with the logs this isn't something that can be achieved without much manual editing.

My proposal (not for the impending v1.6 obviously) would be to incorporate a feature into RB that would either keep the log clean so to speak or allow the user to clean up their logs retrospectively via 1 of the following methods;

1. A switchable option in the user settings that would tell RB to only add 1 entry for a particular aircraft to the logs within a given time frame (say 5 mins). In order for this to work RB would have to keep the latest entry and delete the previous one otherwise multiple entries would still be added but less of them with bigger time spaces between. In order to keep the log fairly accurate it may also be an idea if the 'first seen' time was added to the latest entry thereby making it look like a single track.

This could add some unwanted processing overhead so the other option is

2. A 'clean up' function added to the MyLog tools list which would perform the same action (take a series of entries that are obviously the same flight and replace them with a single entry with first and last seen timings).

I know some people would want to keep each entry which is why I would propose that it's a switchable option or an additional 'post capture' function and this would be enhanced if the user could specify the time gap to be taken into account. From my personal perspective the only time I would envisage 'true' multiple entries being received is in the case of a missed approach or 'touch and go' circuits which technically are still a single flight anyway.

I would be interested to hear others thoughts on the idea.

Keep up the good work.

testmonkey
--------------------------------------------
RB - MVT9000 - UBC30XLT (for acars)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Feature Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 07:35:48 AM »
We are hoping to have the issue fixed in the next version and use a session technqiue so a new record for a flight if it appears again after 15 miniutes or so as we feel that should be enough if it went through some black spot on your coverage.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

testmonkey

Re: Feature Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 05:31:52 PM »
Excellent news!

Thanks for the quick reply.
testmonkey
--------------------------------------------
RB - MVT9000 - UBC30XLT (for acars)