AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: rb feeder on RPI4 B does not work  (Read 8533 times)

CB17

Re: rb feeder on RPI4 B does not work
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2024, 03:43:20 PM »
Hi, I have to be honest, I don't know how to install the dump1090-fa and rbfeeder together. I looked at the Flightaware website. But I haven't found any instructions anywhere where I can just install this "dump". I want to continue to run Radarbox with it. With the RTL stick. So please, if you have time, explain to me which steps I have to take to run dump1090-fa and rbfeeder together with the RTL stick. Thank you very much in advance.

CB17

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2024, 03:45:53 PM »
What I still have to say is that my English isn't that good either... Maybe that's why I don't understand everything that's explained there...

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2024, 05:12:52 PM »
Hi, I have to be honest, I don't know how to install the dump1090-fa and rbfeeder together. I looked at the Flightaware website. But I haven't found any instructions anywhere where I can just install this "dump". I want to continue to run Radarbox with it. With the RTL stick. So please, if you have time, explain to me which steps I have to take to run dump1090-fa and rbfeeder together with the RTL stick. Thank you very much in advance.

(1) To install Flightaware's dump1090-fa, run following commands:
NOTE: The first command below is very long. Scroll right to see and copy it in full.

Code: [Select]

wget https://www.flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/f/flightaware-apt-repository/flightaware-apt-repository_1.2_all.deb   

sudo dpkg -i flightaware-apt-repository_1.2_all.deb   

sudo apt update   

sudo apt install dump1090-fa   

sudo reboot

(2) To install rbfeeder
I think you have already installed rbfeeder. If not run following command to install it:
NOTE: Say No when asked " Do you want to install dump978-rb?"

sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://apt.rb24.com/inst_rbfeeder.sh)"   

If you are using Bookworm OS, then the above script will fail to install rbfeeder, and will stop with following comment:
"Don't know how to install for a distribution named"

In this case use the workaround given in following post:
Install rbfeeder and mlat-client on Raspberry Pi OS BOOKWORM

After installation is completed, open your file /etc/rbfeeder.ini and make sure that under [client], network_mode is set to true.

Do NOT set network_mode=false. If you set network_mode to false, then rbfeeder will start it's builtin dump1090-rb, and this will create a conflict between dump1090-fa and dump1090-rb, and result in a mess.

Please see attached screenshot (click it to enlarge)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 05:46:45 PM by abcd567 »

CB17

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2024, 07:36:49 PM »
Thank you. Unfortunately the RTL stick doesn't want to run. The "test" only works if I close the rbfeeder. But then unfortunately it's of no use to me. I even reinstalled the OS. Then the RTL drivers. Apparently the “rtl test” also worked afterwards. But when I installed the rbfeeder, the RTL stick was blocked again. The way I see it, this stick just doesn't work with radarbox. Nevertheless, I thank you for your effort and wish you all the best in the future. Best regards

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2024, 12:22:57 AM »
The rbfeeder can NOT directly interact with any dongle. It is the decoder (dump1090-fa OR dump1090-rb) which interscts directly with the RTL-SDR V3 dongle.

The rbfeeder connects to port 30005 of whatever version of dump1090 is running on the Pi.

If you have rbfeeder setting nework_mode=false, the rbfeeder starts its builtin fump1090-rb. It is the dump1090-rb which interacts with RTL-SDR V4 dongle. It seems that the RTL-SDR V3 dongle is not compatible to builtin dump1090-rb.

The solution is to BLOCK rbfeeder to start it's builtin dump1090-rb. This is very easily achieved by ensuring that in rbfeeder.ini file, the setting under [client] is network_mode=true

Now with above setting, there will be no version of dump1090 running, so the rbfeeder wont get any fata from dongle. This problem is very easily solved if you install dump1090-fa. Once dump1090-fa is installed and running, it will do these things:

(1) Grab RTL-SDR V3 dongle and start using it.
(2) Will output decoded data on port 30005, which will be sent by rbfeeder to RB24 Servers.
(3) Display aircraft received by your antenna+V3 dongle in a map in browser of your Desktop / Laptop computer (on same network/router as Pi) on followinh address:

IP-of-Pi/skyaware/

The key to success is rbfeeder.ini setting network_mode=true

« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 12:28:11 AM by abcd567 »

CB17

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2024, 09:55:33 AM »
Ok...Even though I set network mode=true.
Yes, I'll try again later when I get home. Thank you!!!

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2024, 12:34:06 PM »
Even though I set network mode=true.
Yes, I'll try again later when I get home.

Great!

Remember, to be successful, you have to do following 2 things:

(1) Make network_mode=true
(2) Install Flightaware's dump1090-fa

« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 12:57:37 PM by abcd567 »

CB17

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2024, 05:05:08 PM »
So, now I've made sure that "network_mode=true" is. I installed Flightaware's dump1090-fa, exactly as described. Despite this, not a single plane appears.
How can I see whether "Flightaware's dump1090-fa" works?

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2024, 05:20:49 PM »
So, now I've made sure that "network_mode=true" is. I installed Flightaware's dump1090-fa, exactly as described. Despite this, not a single plane appears.
How can I see whether "Flightaware's dump1090-fa" works?

(1) See status in terminal / PuTTy

sudo systemctl status dump1090-fa   

(2) See map in browser at:

IP-of-PI/skyaware/ 

« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 05:31:34 PM by abcd567 »

CB17

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2024, 05:44:05 PM »
is that okay?

CB17

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2024, 07:13:05 PM »
ok...with the DVB-T stick, PiAware runs in the browser. But when I connect the RTL stick... nothing works anymore. No plane.

CB17

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2024, 07:18:56 PM »
there are just a few planes, because i use just a little dipole telescopic antenna. for testing only

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2024, 08:08:01 PM »
Comparison of performance is only realistic if you use same antenna with both the dongles. Either use dipole antenna with both, or the other antenna with both.

If using dipole, adjust it's length so that EACH arm is about 7cm (70 mm), and both are Vertical, one pointing vertically up, other pointing vertically down. The 70mm arm is optimal for 1090  Longer or shorter than this makes antenna less efficient.

Also please brows this thread about antennas:
3 EASY DIY ANTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS

CB17

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2024, 08:57:13 PM »
yes, sure.. I understand. That's exactly how I set up the antenna. Vertical, dipole length 6.8. I saw it in your photo. On another forum.
Yes, but with exactly the same setup, the RTL stick unfortunately shows nothing. No planes. If I hadn't seen with my own eyes that it worked GREAT on the PC, I would assume it was defective. Very strange.. Well, I think I'm forced to stick with my DVB-T stick in the end.

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2024, 11:40:17 PM »
The only reason I can think of this behaviour is mechanical. The USB ports on PC are a bit tight fit compared to USB Port on RPi. As a result the RTL-SDR V3 makes good electrical contact on PC, but poor contact on RPi.

You can try following two methods:

(1) Sqeez lightly between thumb and finger the metallic portion of V3 dongle so that it makes a tight fit when inserted into RPi

(2) Use a short USB extender cable. Plug the cabe to USB port of RPi, and pug the V3 dongle to other end of this extender cable. This may solve contact issue. It will also create some gap between RPi and V3, reducing RF radiation from RPi affecting performance of the V3 dongle.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 11:42:31 PM by abcd567 »