AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help  (Read 9477 times)

Paulc

Help
« on: June 28, 2008, 07:18:35 PM »
I run air nav (2008 version) on a Toshiba satellite Pro A40 with a 2.9ghz processor and 1.5gb RAM yet I am stil having a few problems. the whole system is very slow to respond when I need to change anything, the hard drive is constantly being accessed and all too frequently all data in the flight box & map just vanishes - sometimes it does come back after a minute or but more often than not it needs a restart. Having just spent a couple of days in Amsterdam it was very useful but also very frustrating. I had networking and shared data, photos all turned off yet it still crashed numerous times. These problems did not seem so frequent with the 2007 version and am seriously considering uninstalling 2008 and going back to that.

I will also need to get another aerial as mine fell out of my bag during one of the numerous security checks that make air travel such a pleasure :)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 07:41:21 PM »
Hi Paulc,

Firstly 2008 would not have overwritten the 2007 version so that is still there and will not interfer with each other.

Do these problems occur when you are home and connected to the net?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Paulc

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »
I have had the same thing happen at home a few times as well (but only after 2008 installation) but the day I got it I visited a friend who has sbs to compare the 2. I had no net connection there and had no problems (apart from general slowness) I upgraded to 2008 after uninstalling 2007 software and the next time i visited the same place I started getting these problems. My laptop spec is well above the min spec suggested yet to get the system to react does seem to take ages. As I sai in the first post - i had networking / share data off in AMS yet the problem continued albeit less frequently.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 09:00:04 PM »
Paulc,

When you say you had Network/shared data off, did you untick the "Get Flights From RadarBox Network" at the bottom of the Network list and untick "Share Flight Data" in the Preferences settings.

You have to untick "Share Flight Data" every time you run RadarBox without an internet setting, as this is not remembered when you shut down and the default setting is "On".

Running RB without a good Internet connection with "Share Flight Data" selected, can cause RB to run slowly.

Paulc

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 09:53:21 PM »
yes - it was off in both places (still crashed but less often) System has been on tonight with network / share on (+ home broadband connecion wrking) and it is still very slow to react to even a simple request. My default map is also not what I had previously saved so I have to create one each time (interface also needs to be activated each time)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »
Definitely something wrong here Paulc. There must be something else running in the background that is causing RB to slow down.  RB 2008 is much less memory intensive than 2007 so it should run faster, not slower.

You say the interface needs to be activated each time - do you mean it's not remembering your user name and password?

Are you running Vista by any chance?  If so, you need to right click on the RB shortcut and select the "Run with Administrator rights" or something similar.

See this:

http://www.walterglenn.com/2006/12/11/run-programs-as-administrator-in-windows-vista/

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 10:24:51 PM »
Are you running Vista by any chance?  If so, you need to right click on the RB shortcut and select the "Run with Administrator rights" or something similar.
You don't need to with the latest version of RB2008.   It works without Admin rights perfectly.

Paulc, a couple of suggestions.  Run Task Manager, select the Processes tab, then select "Show Processes From All Users", and see if anything is using a lot of CPU.  If not, then check to see if you've got indexing turned on for the location where you've installed RB into.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:26:49 PM by tarbat »

Paulc

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 04:50:15 AM »
Allocator - no my password etc is ok - it is the flight data box that does not appear so i have to activate that each time along with my map. Am still running Xp.

Tarbat - checked the cpu processes and with with just the desktop it is about 5% - with radarbox running it ranges between 80 - 100%. Not sure what you mean by indexing ?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 09:31:52 AM »
Tarbat - checked the cpu processes and with with just the desktop it is about 5% - with radarbox running it ranges between 80 - 100%. Not sure what you mean by indexing ?
80-100% for ANRB.exe is very high on a 2.9ghz processor.  I've got a 2.8ghz processor, and ANRB uses between 4%-10%:

I'm out of ideas - maybe Airnav can suggest why it's using so much CPU.  For example, are you in an area of very high traffic?  Or try turning off path vectors and trails.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 09:53:03 AM by tarbat »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 01:31:06 PM »
Yes that definatelly does not sound right. Something seems corrupted.

Firstly try reinstalling and see if that helps. If it doesn't clear out the database (you probally want to back it up first).
[email protected]

Paulc

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 05:31:13 PM »
I will give that a try - is there a particular file I need to back up?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 06:20:37 PM »
In your data folder, backup the files which end in db3
[email protected]

Paulc

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 07:30:02 PM »
thanks for all the help- have done a reinstall and it does seem a bit better. CPU usage is still high and fluctuates a lot. With no internet / data sharing / network cpu usage is still between 25 & 50% - which is an improvement.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 07:40:20 PM by Paulc »

dudbaker

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 07:30:47 PM »
Hi

With Airnav running my CPU usage is 75%.  With closed it is 20%.  Is this normal.
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 08:23:05 PM »
hello, my cpu runs between 6 and 45% with all of the functions of the RB running. Seems to run ok though unless I've too much runing on pc.