anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Distance from roof-mounted dis-cone antennae to box  (Read 8998 times)

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Re: Distance from roof-mounted dis-cone antennae to box
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 08:34:15 PM »
Hi Dud, thanks for the tips above, 1090Mhz is around 27-28cm?  have you tried a full wave skin back as per your description, your 6-7cm makes a half-wave dipole?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

bratters

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 08:39:29 PM »
Totally agree about lofts Dudley - mine acts as a black hole for radio signals and produces interesting polar diagrams with totally signal-free areas. Also true about discones - no good at all for 1090.

After a lot of playing about I'm back to RB supplied twig on a suction-mounted soapdish at the highest point on a upstairs window with a clear view - south in my case. No extended leads or feeds and it works well.

I'll have to try the coax stick sometime though - does the length need to be more specific than 6 or 7 cms. or is this approximation OK?

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 11:05:14 PM »

I'll have to try the coax stick sometime though - does the length need to be more specific than 6 or 7 cms. or is this approximation OK?

According to my sums, the length should be 68.7597 mm :-)

You might need a very sharp knife :-0

bratters

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 08:46:04 AM »
Only four decimal places? Call that accurate? Oh, the standards these days!  :-)

dudbaker

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 11:18:45 AM »
pjwood123

You would expect the RB attenna to work better than my homebrew attempt.  The RB attenna has a loading coil so is longer.  My attenna works well because of the height.  3 feet gives 10db. 

CoastGuardjon.

I would call my attenna a 1/4 wave refering to the lenght of the radiating element.  I would have thought any other multiple, such as full wave, would need some loading.

To get extra gain I will put up a Professional attenna sometime.  My experment has shown a blind spot to the west.  Chimney I think.

To see the result look at Stansted.  You will see myflights landing 5 miles from my house.

dudbaker
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »
Hi Dud, thanks for the info..
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!