AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dual screen options?  (Read 8679 times)

Pinza

Dual screen options?
« on: October 27, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »
Initially installed ANRB 2009 v2 on my Samsung NC10 netbook (running XP) - worked, but unusable due to small size of screen...

Reinstalled on my Advent laptop (15.4" screen running Vista) and upgraded to v3.07b.

Runs fine, but still can't see as much of the interface as I'd like when having the radar window open.

Had a spare 17" LCD screen that was about to go to the tip having decommissioned my old desktop PC.

Just plugged this into my laptop and managed to get a 'dual display' setup running.

After much tinkering, I have managed to set up an 'extended' display. I have ANRB running on my laptop and the internet connected to this forum on the second screen.

Brilliant! New experience for me to scroll the mouse between the two screens!

Useful as this is, what I'd really like to do is this:

Have 'interface' maximised on my laptop and drag the 'radar screen' onto my secondary screen.

Not been able to do this - is it possible? If not, will it be possible in a future release?

Hey, ho - if above is not possible, I may consider buying a 22" monitor to dedicate as a secondary monitor for ANRB and use laptop screen for internet, e-mail etc.

Useful experimentation tonight - getting there slowly!
Cheers
Chris

Jeremy

• Jeremy
Re: Dual screen options?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:15:51 PM »
Chris,
Not possible yet. The windows within windows are fixed.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Pinza

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:26:46 PM »
Chris,
Not possible yet. The windows within windows are fixed.
J.

Thanks Jeremy,

Feared that may be the case!

The fact that I'm replying to you on my secondary screen (whilst still running ANRB on my laptop) seems to indicate that my best option is to buy a new 22" screen and set that up as secondary screen and use my laptop as primary screen  (for internet and e-mail).

Think that will work (given tonight's test!)
C.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:29:18 PM »
That is what I do. It is fine if your computer can cope as RB is cpu hungry. I have had to buy a new computer!
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Pinza

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 09:40:50 PM »
Am off to reaearch cheap large screen monitor costs (so much cheaper than they used to be!). My ANRB is processing an average of 40 to50 Msgs/Sec on my laptop whilst dual-tasking this forum and e-mail and serving two screens - so guess it is man enough for the job...

PS Tried to hook up to 32" television via S-video cables - non-starter - could see picture, but too blurry to read any text...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:44:22 PM by Pinza »

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:58:41 PM »
Have 'interface' maximised on my laptop and drag the 'radar screen' onto my secondary screen.

This is standard mode of operation for me. I have a 22" monitor beside a 19" one with the desktop extended. Firstly restore down the RB window, move it to the upper left of the screen and then stretch it across both monitors. You can then adjust the border between the text interface and the radar screen to be aligned where the 2 screens join.

this is the current RB window stretched across both monitors.

Pinza

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 10:20:16 PM »

Firstly restore down the RB window, move it to the upper left of the screen and then stretch it across both monitors. You can then adjust the border between the text interface and the radar screen to be aligned where the 2 screens join.

Thanks pjm - been playing with your suggestion - struggling - need bed - will try again tomorrow evening!

Chris

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:22:02 PM »
Am off to reaearch cheap large screen monitor costs (so much cheaper than they used to be!).

See http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1930.msg34878#msg34878 for some suggestions.

Pinza

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 11:24:26 PM »
Am off to reaearch cheap large screen monitor costs (so much cheaper than they used to be!).

See http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1930.msg34878#msg34878 for some suggestions.

Thanks, tarbat - perhaps should have posted there rather than starting new thread!

Have just reserved a 22" Acer monitor from local Argos - was last one in stock @ £119.99 with a promised £10 voucher for spending over £100 - hope they don't let me down!

£109.99 for this size of screen is just so cheap compared with even a couple of years ago!

Will report back on my experiences of using new screen with ANRB

Pinza

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 10:01:11 PM »
Rugby Argos held their last Acer X333HQ 22" monitor for my collection after work as promised - along with £10 gift voucher. Effective price being £109.99!

Installed it an hour ago.

No frills - only a standard D-Sub VGA input (no DVI, no HDMI, no sound). Only other input is mains power lead - at least it doesn't need an external transformer to add to my growing collection of black boxes on the living room floor...

Biggest gripe is not being able to adjust the angle of viewing - I keep having to lower my head 6 inches to get best contrast.

Current setup is browsing internet on 15" laptop (left hand screen) and ANRB v.3.7b on new 22" Acer monitor (right hand screen).

Works like a dream! Mouse drifts seamlessly from one sceen to the other!

New monitor had a potential maximum display of 1920 x 1080 - had problems with this:

a) left hand side of screen was still slightly missing (perhaps laptop not supporting this resolution)
b) even at this size of screen the text was slightly small

So tinkered and forced a resolution of 1600 x 900

Absolutely brilliant! I can thoroughly recommend going for a 22" monitor and also running it as a second screen!

Must go and change ANRB settings - ie reduce size of the radar screen and increase the amount of fields I can see on the interface.

Next project is to buy an airband scanner - the external antenae project is on hold!

Cheers
Chris

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 10:37:23 PM »
Welcome to the 22" club :-)

Rod
Rod

Pinza

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 10:52:19 PM »
Welcome to the 22" club :-)

Rod

Must tear myself away from the screen(s) and go to bed!

Sad - I spend all day monitoring two computer screens on the control desk of an automated warehouse and then come home to watch two computer screens...

Thanks, Rod, for all your efforts - as a 'newbie' I have managed to use your colour scheme and install your zip files for logos.

The upgrade to a 22" screen was the best £109 I've ever spent!

Chris

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 08:34:36 AM »
Biggest gripe is not being able to adjust the angle of viewing - I keep having to lower my head 6 inches to get best contrast.

My Acer 22" (X223HO) tilts up and down okay.

New monitor had a potential maximum display of 1920 x 1080 - had problems with this:

Have you tried pressing the AUTO button?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:36:14 AM by tarbat »

Pinza

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 08:51:45 PM »

My Acer 22" (X223HO) tilts up and down okay.

Have you tried pressing the AUTO button?

Thanks, Tarbat

Firstly I made a typo last night - my model is Acer X223HQ (not X333HQ as posted) [same as yours, I assume] and YES is does tilt as you say!

Tried pressing the AUTO button - didn't seem to change anything on my 'forced' 1600 x 900 resolution.

Are you suggesting that I go back to max resolution of 1920 x 1080 and then pressing the AUTO button? Would this force screen back into viewable area? (ie a couple of inches of left hand side of screen missing)

Chris

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 09:39:09 PM »
Are you suggesting that I go back to max resolution of 1920 x 1080 and then pressing the AUTO button? Would this force screen back into viewable area? (ie a couple of inches of left hand side of screen missing)

Yes.  Set to native resolution (1920x1080), and then press the AUTO button.   That should force the monitor to attempt to get everything on screen, and 1:1 pixel mapping.

Give it a try.