anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RELEASED - AirNav RadarBox Real-Time Network - Comments  (Read 47644 times)

EK01

Re: RELEASED - AirNav RadarBox Real-Time Network - Comments
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2009, 12:45:38 PM »
i will stick to the delayed network for now, i do not find the real time feature so important for me, and i think i will choose the cheapest solution, at least until i have time to evaluate well the advantages.
frank

Frank,
I'm with you on that one. I like to personally see an aircraft flying over or nearby my house so thst I can log it as a true sighting. The 5 minute delayed network is fine for me as a reference source only as obviously you cannot personally see aircraft thousands of miles away and therefore they cannot be logged as true sightings. To me the addition of a 'live' network is really just an added expense.

Ian

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2009, 12:46:36 PM »
vaio,

We did not single you out at all so no need to get defensive and attack us further.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

MrT

« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »
MrT,

As your new you may have missed the discussions. BUT we have been through price and bussiness model question before many times and answered detailed questions on where are costs are going regarding the network. At the end of the day a few customers willing to back down and wanted many items for free. This cannot be done without us going bankrupt.

Please remember you are posting on a forum were we replying every few minutes and a new beta has just been released. That is listening to customers.

Ok, well that was a long time back and I'm hoping that my purchase will live up to its reputation (and I'm sure it will).

There is just a lot of confusing information for a new purchaser at present.

3D one moment, talk of the 5min Delay the next, then Live data under the next breath.

Also, could you please clarify your pricing policy in clear terms and conditions somewhere on your website  (if not already done by time of this post).

vaio

« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2009, 12:58:13 PM »
vaio,

We did not single you out at all so no need to get defensive and attack us further.
Not defensive at all, just don't much care for people who use ad hominim and non sequitur as their argument.

Anyway you can assume that I will definitely not be buying into any of your subscription service.
As a long time user of airnav products (airnav suite, acars and radarbox) I am saddened at your attitude towards your customers.

Jordan

« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2009, 01:02:50 PM »
I dont see it as real time..(yes im with the 3.06)

Fenris

« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2009, 01:09:23 PM »
However, this no-delay feature itself appears to be under beta, as well, so why can't we ALL have the opportunity of evaluating it freely for a nominal period so we can ALL have first-hand experience of it before committing to an expensive extra?

I suppose that the best thing to do (in the absence of a short free "taster" period) is to invest in a one month real-time subscription and see how it pans out.

And how will the forthcoming 3D version affect us all?

A good question. It will be interesting to see whether Airnav choose to maintain two versions once 3D is released.

Deadcalm

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2009, 01:15:24 PM »
Well, yes, Brian, that's one way but who is going to invest for a month in an ongoing beta which may or may not deliver?  I want to see it working for myself before I invest.  You really can't charge the punters for a beta anything.

I'll add that the way to go should be to introduce this option, as a beta, for say, a month, (or until it becomes a robust release candidate) with the proviso that a charge will be levied on those who wish to retain the feature once publicly released.  But until it's stable (and the new version 3 is stable, for that matter), it's not really on to levy any charge at all.

DC
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:23:44 PM by Deadcalm »
Go around, I say again go around...

Fenris

« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2009, 01:24:31 PM »
Well, yes, Brian, that's one way but who is going to invest for a month in an ongoing beta which may or may not deliver?  I want to see it working for myself before I invest.  You really can't charge the punters for a beta anything.

You may be correct, I was looking for a cheap way to get access to this new feature so I can get a feel for whether it does what I want and is reliable.

Perhaps now we'll see Airnav consider how to provide that "taster", but I think they feel that since you get the 1 year free delayed network anyway you will have seen what it does and how it works already.

I have to say that I was beginning to wonder if I would purchase a network sub in January, but now that it can be live it makes it more likely that I will. I know that people will say how can it matter when the aircraft is so far away but to me accuracy is everything and when I see delayed network traffic, especially when mixed with live local traffic, it makes me grind my teeth. The extra cost of live data is cheaper than my dentist!

sterigia

• forza paris
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2009, 02:02:11 PM »
i will stick to the delayed network for now, i do not find the real time feature so important for me, and i think i will choose the cheapest solution, at least until i have time to evaluate well the advantages.
frank

Frank,
I'm with you on that one. I like to personally see an aircraft flying over or nearby my house so thst I can log it as a true sighting. The 5 minute delayed network is fine for me as a reference source only as obviously you cannot personally see aircraft thousands of miles away and therefore they cannot be logged as true sightings. To me the addition of a 'live' network is really just an added expense.

Ian

ian you sum up my thoughts exactly, i always have my sbs1 for local traffic which is a bit more sensitive than the rb. even if i see flights on the other side of the earth with a 5 minute delay it's fine for me. i have no professional needs. the only thing i would pay for is to see the heavy military traffic above my head. i am near frasca range and see (with my eyes only) tens of sorties every day. anyway in my country it is a criminal offence to listen to any transmission that is not commercial or ham, if you have a license. if you are crazy enough to even go near an airport with a scanner you get arrested. no questions asked.
frank
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:15:56 PM by sterigia »
ciao.
frank

radarspotter10

« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2009, 02:09:51 PM »
Lordy, this is turning into another pig's ear.

Airnav, you've whetted everybody's appetite with a new, unexpected feature on software still in beta.  Not only was it unexpected (but welcome), but it has also been the subject of much discussion here in the forum, with the final verdict being that you said you would NOT be introducing a delay-free article, for various reasons.

Now you HAVE introduced it, and want to charge extra for it.  I can see the reasoning, but it's not really fair retrospectively, without some concession for existing users.

However, this no-delay feature itself appears to be under beta, as well, so why can't we ALL have the opportunity of evaluating it freely for a nominal period so we can ALL have first-hand experience of it before committing to an expensive extra?

And how will the forthcoming 3D version affect us all?

So many unknowns, so many imponderables.  It would have been nice if you'd forewarned us, instead of which more confusion is injected into the whole thing.

So in essence, no delay - good thing, lack of introductory planning not so good.  Additional expense, unexpected and unwelcome.

And Pat, or Val, or Robbie (all three of whom are proud to be Irish) - some of your unhelpful comments are better off unposted.

DC
deadclam
Your not on the other site now,deadcalm,  its not up to you to say if my posts are ok or not, 
And yes deadcalm i am Irish,  and i strongly resent you sniping at that fact, what have you got against the Irish
remember deadclam your not on the vultures site now, go back there and start preaching.
from pat in Ireland

EK01

« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »

frank

Frank,

Ian

ian you sum up my thoughts exactly, i always have my sbs1 for local traffic which is a bit more sensitive than the rb. even if i see flights on the other side of the earth with a 5 minute delay it's fine for me. i have no professional needs. the only thing i would pay for is to see the heavy military traffic above my head. i am near frasca range and see (with my eyes only) tens of sorties every day
frank

Unfortunately Frank you're not going to get much help with your military traffic tie-ups as they seldom transmit ADSB as I'm sure you are aware.

Ian

sterigia

• forza paris
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
i know ian, sometimes the do but transmit only altitude, i wonder how collisons are avoided?
frank
ciao.
frank

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2009, 02:52:36 PM »
We are preparing a detailed answer to all of the questions that appeared on this thread. Stby for further news.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2009, 02:54:47 PM »
i know ian, sometimes the do but transmit only altitude, i wonder how collisons are avoided?

Aircraft have been avoiding collisions for 100 years without ADS-B  :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

radarspotter10

« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2009, 03:19:22 PM »

Aircraft have been avoiding collisions for 100 years without ADS-B  :-)
a yes your right,  the wright brother did not use it. Alcock and Brown and Lindbergh  did not need it
from pat in ireland