anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HELP  (Read 36310 times)

John Racars

HELP
« on: June 01, 2008, 09:25:43 AM »
Hi All,

Since this morning when I started my PC my AirNav RadarBox is not giving (and recieving) any signal. In other words: it looks the box is dead.

Only the green led is burning and the blue led is flashing from time to time. The white led does not lighting anyway.

I tryed to connect another antenna but this gives no result so it looks there is nothing wrong with my antenna (connection).

Any help will be welcome. Thank you for that in advance!
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 10:15:20 AM »
John,

Are you still getting the green "Hardware Connected" indication in the RadarBox software?

Are you still getting Network data?

Have you changed anything, USB socket, usb lead?

Are you using an adaptor to connect to the antenna plug?

Have you tried with the original RB antenna?

Have you done a PC shutdown and restart?

Just a few ideas to see what the problem might be.

Allocator

John Racars

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 10:29:55 AM »

Hi Allocator,

Thank you for your fast reaction:

Are you still getting the green "Hardware Connected" indication in the RadarBox software?
Yes
Are you still getting Network data?
Yes
Have you changed anything, USB socket, usb lead?
No, I did not
Are you using an adaptor to connect to the antenna plug?
Yes, I do
Have you tried with the original RB antenna?
Yes, I did
Have you done a PC shutdown and restart?
Yes, I did
Just a few ideas to see what the problem might be.

Thank you for any help.
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 11:00:12 AM »
OK John,

Looks like you might need to contact support direct at [email protected]

I wondered if maybe you were using an adaptor to connect to your antenna and the adaptor was causing the problem.  But if you have tried the standard antenna and you are getting no live traffic at all, then it might be the box that is the problem.

Can you still see the gold coloured centre connector in the RadarBox antenna socket?

People who have had a similar fault have had a problem with the centre pin in the antenna lead, but as you have tried different antenna's then this can't be it.

Do not take your RadarBox apart to look for the problem, as this will cause problems if you have to return the box for repair or replacement.

Allocator

John Racars

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 11:16:16 AM »

Looks like you might need to contact support direct at [email protected]

Can you still see the gold coloured centre connector in the RadarBox antenna socket?

Hi Allocator,

I contacted them allready. I hope there comes a quick solution.......

The gold coloured centre connector in the RadarBox antenna socket is good to see.

Thanks again!

Kind Regards, John
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-

Allocator

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 11:20:45 AM »
John,

I'm sorry that you are having problems, but I'm sure that support will come up with a quick solution.

All the best

Allocator

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 12:57:03 PM »
We have replied back to you John via the support email.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Navman

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 07:43:40 PM »
John,

What antenna are you using? My RadarBox has just failed for the second time with the same symptoms as yours. It worked OK for about 3-month with the default antenna inside my attic, I then installed an antenna outside on the roof of my house. It failed soon after and had to be sent back to AirNav for repair. When I got it back it lasted 16-days and failed again same problem.

AirNav support say that this problem has been experienced by a small number of other users. The problem seems to be caused by static voltage build-up on the antenna.

Please describe what antenna you are using. Also please tell me how long you have benn using it.

Navman

John Racars

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »
John,

What antenna are you using? My RadarBox has just failed for the second time with the same symptoms as yours. It worked OK for about 3-month with the default antenna inside my attic, I then installed an antenna outside on the roof of my house. It failed soon after and had to be sent back to AirNav for repair. When I got it back it lasted 16-days and failed again same problem.

AirNav support say that this problem has been experienced by a small number of other users. The problem seems to be caused by static voltage build-up on the antenna.

Please describe what antenna you are using. Also please tell me how long you have benn using it.

Navman

Hi Navman,

The (outside) antenna I use was installad one week ago. It is an outside antenna  placed on the chimney.

It is a WiMo GP-1090 outsideantenna "special for recieving ADS-B/Mode-S".
Cable in use is the recommended ECOFLEX 10. Length 10 m1 and connected with an adaptor to the Radarbox.

On the forum you can see the beautifull results of my reception until yesterday. You know what happend this day. A great mistery took place and made my RadarBox unfit for use.

It is under the way for repair or replace now.
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-

davis

• RANGE
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »
I have simile aereal en cable ... It  is ok....
I expect the response from the factory to find out why the Radar Box does not have the same sensitivity of the SBS-1 ..

Navman

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 08:31:12 PM »
Hi John,

OK on the antenna setup, I was interested to know if your antenna was enclosed in a plastic tube which I know the WIMO GP-1090 is. My antenna is of open construction similar to the Kinetic BS1100.

My RadarBox is away for repair now, as it has failed twice since I installed the antenna on my chimney I am worried that I will fail again when I get it back.

There seems to be some kind of problem with static voltage build-up on the antenna that needs to be addressed. If this is the case then AirNav need to come up with a fix.

I will keep watching this thread and keep you informed what happens this end.

Navman

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 10:15:36 PM »
"There seems to be some kind of problem with static voltage build-up on the antenna that needs to be addressed. If this is the case then AirNav need to come up with a fix."

Static build up can occur on any type of antenna. The RadarBox is designed to take fluctuations in voltage coming down through the antenna however it has a certain limit where beyond it can be damaged (as like any receiver)

From what we know so far we only have few customers who have this issue and it seems it is repeated, this would indicate not a fault in the RadarBox but either a smilar setup which is causing damage or a specfic external device.

We are investigating the cause.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

flightchecker

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »
Goede middag Hans,

you might have noticed some very heavy thunderstorms at about the time your RB quit service. (We’don’t live too far apart as you know well, thus my suggestion concerning the above)
I (but it’s not only me of course) would recommend to remove the outside antenna from your RB’s input if there is thunderstorm activities in your vicinity, to prevent static build up on the antenna causing harm to the receivers RF (front end) input circuit.

Good afternoon AirNav,

I have been involved in RF & Microwave applications with a customer, that used many a certain type of our companies RF amplifiers between their “outside”- antennas and receivers. A lot of those amplifiers failed from time to time, and careful investigation by R&D found “static” to be the reason for destroying their input hybrid. That could be clearly identified by using extreme microscopic magnification, and one could easily trace the discharge’s “foot print”. A redesign of the amplifier’s input circuitery finally solved the problem. (the mentioned hybrid had been replaced by another type, that prooved to withstand static at least to an extent, that we did not get any complains from the mentioned customer no more. (.............regarding his amplifier's problems, there were [a lot] others of course]).

Karl
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 04:29:16 PM by flightchecker »

Navman

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 05:40:52 PM »
Since my RadarBox failed the first time I have been very careful to disconnect the antenna when RB is not in use. I always short circuit the centre of the coaxial to ground to discharge any static before reconnecting it to the RB.

On both days when my RB failed there were no thunder storms in the vicinity of the UK as far as I know. However, it was very windy so perhaps the air movement past the antenna caused the static build-up maybe.   

Navman

John Racars

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 05:51:33 PM »
you might have noticed some very heavy thunderstorms at about the time your RB quit service. (We’don’t live too far apart as you know well, thus my suggestion concerning the above)

Hallo Karl, Guten Abend!

Yes, that is a verry good tip. Thank you for that and I hope this helps! I will do so when I get a good working RadarBox back.

Vielen dank für das "mit-denken".

Best Regards / Viele Grüßen aus die Niederlanden, Hans
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-