AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: auto populate?  (Read 7035 times)

marcdeklerk

auto populate?
« on: April 22, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
hi there, could somebody please explain to me how the pupulate feature work?

1. Where does the updated information come from?
2. does it update the database or the mylog or both?
3 does the new information get saved?

thanks Marc

steveb25

Re: auto populate?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:07:20 AM »
Marc

1. The update info comes from the Airnav server, which uses the GAS (Gatwick Aviation Societys) server to check if there is no info on the airnav server.

2. It updates the nav database firstly. As the mylog has already been written when it looks for the unknown aircraft it is not updated until next time you see that aircraft. It then sees the info and updates the mylog database.

3. Yes, to both databases eventually

Thats how i think it works, but there are far more knowlegable people on this forum who will correct me if i'm wrong ;-)

marcdeklerk

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 11:09:40 AM »
If I manually edit aircraft information in the database.. will the auto populate override my info? with info from the airnav server?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:12:52 AM by marcdeklerk »

steveb25

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 11:16:13 AM »
Marc

I think the conclusion that the forum came to was that it will not overwrite the data.
But there has been instances in past posts that the database can end up with two entries for the same aircraft. This is down to inadvertently adding characters (spaces etc) that don't match the format in the databases. There has been previous posts on this so it may be worth going back a few weeks to see what you can find.

marcdeklerk

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 11:26:01 AM »
thanks I will go have a look a few weeks ago!

EINN-07

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 09:04:05 AM »
If I manually edit aircraft information in the database.. will the auto populate override my info? with info from the airnav server?

Marc..

Yes it will overwrite :(
If there is no photo in the photo folder the entry for the aircraft in the Nav database will be overwritten by what is in the GAS database when a photo is downloaded. Thus any corrections you make to your dB will be lost if there is currently no photo in your photo folder.

Protzenalp

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 08:44:03 PM »
Is that also the case if you select not to download photos?

EINN-07

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 10:50:35 PM »
That I will have to check on. But I won't be able to check until next Friday at the earliest.

Protzenalp

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 07:13:38 AM »
Any answer on my last question EINN-07?

EINN-07

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 08:09:58 PM »
Sorry - haven't checked yet. It will be Thursday before I can check again due work commitments.

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 06:12:54 PM »
Today, for the first time, I used the populate option and was surprised to see it showed 860 Photo/information  requests ! > It took over 80 minutes to get to all photo/information requests done ! It also froze my screen and I had to Ctrl/Alt/Delete out of the program. On checking Mylog I still had 290 records missing the registration.  Apart from doing these individually is there any way to batch them or is populate an all or nothing option.

Mike

marcdeklerk

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 06:19:16 PM »
yip, maby Airnav can add a selection on the auto-populate to select which aircraft needs to be updated?