AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox and the Icom IC-PCR1500  (Read 10601 times)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
RadarBox and the Icom IC-PCR1500
« on: May 10, 2008, 06:37:25 PM »
Although I've had loads of airband scanners over the years, you can never have too many :-)

I've just upgraded to an Icom IC-PCR1500 computer controlled scanner.  In a departure form all my other scanners, I didn't pick this one because it has lots of buttons, knobs and dials - in fact, the only control it has on it is the on/off switch!  It's connected to my PC via a standard USB cable and it runs just fine alongside RadarBox.

In the screeenshot below, I've reduced the size of the RB window so I can see the PCR1500 interface - or at least the bit I'm interested in - below the RB display.  I've got it scanning all the en-route frequencies so I can listen to traffic in range.  When I hear something interesting, or match a transmission up to what I can see on the screen, then I pause the scan and follow that aircraft.  Here, I've heard EIN27F turning at WAL inbound to EGBB.  To make it easier to follow this aircraft, I've used the quick fliters to show only the EIN aircraft.  As the aircraft changes frequency, I note it down and put it into the PCR1500 manually.  If I miss the frequency, then I just start scanning again until I hear the aircraft on the new frequency, then I pause the scan again.  Great fun :-)

Click the link below for a full size screenshot:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2189/2481101000_0ecdf2826f_o.jpg

I've also just realised that my Nvidia GeForce 8500GT graphics card has 2 outputs, a standard analogue VGA and a DVI-D digital output.  As my current LCD monitor has a DVI-D input, I've connected this up and dug out my old VGA LCD as a second monitor.  So, I can have the RB and PCR1500 display as above, and have FireFox on the secondary monitor - fantastic!

What would be even nicer is if you could "undock" the RB map window and have this on one monitor and the aircraft list and the PCR1500 on the other - maybe a later version.

Allocator

DaveG

Re: RadarBox and the Icom IC-PCR1500
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
What would be even nicer is if you could "undock" the RB map window and have this on one monitor and the aircraft list and the PCR1500 on the other - maybe a later version.

Allocator

Hi Allocator,

Been asking that question for sometime now :)

Also a owner of an icom IC-R2500 (same as 1500 but twin tuner)  Great to have the RB and Radio working together.

Dave
Cornwall, UK

pcochrane12

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 06:40:00 AM »
hi
like that idea have just set up my old pcr1000 to do the same sunday mornings quite but still great fun this
cheers for the idea paul

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 06:45:51 AM »
Hi Paul,

Not sure if you are in the UK, but I use the Proma site to get my frequencies.  You have to register, but it's free:

http://www.proma.org.uk/

pcochrane12

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 07:40:19 AM »
hi allocator
yep just north of newcastle visual with 25 approach to ncle am able to track aircraft taxing at ncle having recently installed a wimo antenna with amp.Thanks for web site info hav used it in the past but i enjoy sniffing freq out with my other scanners as well
cheers paul

flyboy4321

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:23:53 AM »
I also own a PCR1500 but am unsure as to how you link this to the Radarbox. I did have it paired with a rival package to the Radarbox. Any ideas?

steveb25

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 12:06:03 PM »
Allocator, which software are you running for the Icom.

i've got an old PCR1000 but find the software a bit of a bind, wondered if there was anything new around

steveb25

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 12:07:29 PM »
flyboy4321

I'm not sure, but don't think that allocator has the two linked together, just displaying one under the other on the screen

Allocator

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 03:20:18 PM »
Correct, RadarBox and the PCR1500 are running independently but on the same PC.

I use the standard Icom software that comes with the PCR1500, it's not bad once you get used to it, but the frequency import function is rubbish.  If the csv format isn't right, it just doesn't work.  I've got some top tips though if anybody is interested in creating the right format for import - it only a little bit quicker than putting the frequencies in manually though!

I used the excellent Probe software (do a Google search) with my old PRO2042 scanner, but this is a DOS program and doesn't work in XP.

Not sure about software for the PCR1000, I know there is a version of Probe that runs this, but again, it's a DOS program.

As far as linking the scanner and Radarbox, I wouldn't really consider this an advantage.  I purchased the radio interface key for the SBS-1 Basestation and never really used it.  Frequencies are only used in fixed geograhical areas at airports and the en-route frequencies are many and various.  As I said earlier, I just scan all the frequencies and stop the scan if I want to follow a particular aircraft.