AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Photo not available  (Read 25825 times)

belgianguy

Photo not available
« on: May 10, 2008, 02:23:56 PM »
Hi,
I'm new in using the Radarbox.
Didn't find the answer here in the forum.

I selected the option to just show one photo of each aircraft that is visible on the screen.
For some aircraft i get a photo but for most flights I get the message "Photo not available".

If I go to airliners.net and do a search for most of those aircraft, there are plenty of photo's available. Am I doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Photo not available
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 04:18:49 PM »
Hi,
I'm new in using the Radarbox.
Didn't find the answer here in the forum.

I selected the option to just show one photo of each aircraft that is visible on the screen.
For some aircraft i get a photo but for most flights I get the message "Photo not available".

If I go to airliners.net and do a search for most of those aircraft, there are plenty of photo's available. Am I doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance.

What version of RadarBox are you running - See "About" for software and firmware versions.

belgianguy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 06:07:52 PM »
I'm using the latest version: ANRB15
Software version date: 2008/03/19  03:55
Firmware version: 1.01.2

When the message "Photo not available" is show and I move the mouse over this message, I get the message that the photo is copyrighted, but the photo is not visible.
If I click on the message, the site of airliners.net shows a picture of the aircraft.

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 06:19:36 PM »
OK, RadarBox V1.5 overcame the problems that some of the earlier version had regarding photo downloads.  I'm not sure why you are having this problem, as it works just fine for me. Just to confirm:

- You do have the "Download Aircraft Photo" ticked in File | Preferences | Radarbox?

- You have unticked "Download 2 Photos for each aircraft" in the same Preferences section?

- Are you receiving Network traffic OK, to show that you haven't got a firewall blocking the autotpopulate function of RadarBox?

- Look at the bottom right of the RadarBox window, do you see a number counting down and "Processing Photo/Info Request"?

- If you click on an aircraft in the aircraft list that has no registration, does the autopopulate fill in the details after a few seconds?

If the answer to all these questions is yes, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 07:12:36 PM »
The photos do come from our servers. Today our servers are been feeling a bit funny so it may just be that.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

belgianguy

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 07:25:11 PM »
I hope that is the problem and hopefully everything goes well tomorrow.

@ Allocator

The answer for the first three questions is YES.
At the bottom right I see the status : All photo/info requests done

If I click on a flight, the status changes is 1 processing photo/info request and on the left the message: downloading photo but then again it says photo not available.

The autopopulate seems to work. For some flights nothing changes but i suppose that is because the aircraft is not known in the airnav database.

So i think the program is responding like it should do only the problem with the photo's still exist. For some flights a photo is shown so really don't know why they are not shown for most of the flights.

I even disabled my firewall but that didn't changed a thing.

Thanks for your effort and hopefully this problem will be fixed when the airnav servers or working fine again

Belgianguy

johnnyB

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 07:25:14 AM »
I'm having the same problem. Not for every flight though, about 1 in every 5 will say "photo not available" but when i go onto airliners.net there are no shortage of pictures. This is an on going problem, i only really noticed it after i got the latest software but definitly not just yesterday.

I have "share flight data" ticked but i have disabaled "get flights from Radarbox Network" as it still causes radarbox to crash but it still connects no problem.

Something else i noticed after editing the database explorer for the irish air corp Casa 235 to show the correct pictures (it originaly showed 2 different pictures belonging to the Bulgarian air force) it still shows the old pictures of the Sukhoi Su-25 but when you click the pic it loads the pictures i put in of the Irish air corp Casa. Its possible im not editing it right but it seems to work for aircraft that werent originaly in the database.

I am also using the latest firmware and software

Any help would be great
Johnny

Airmad

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 07:37:33 AM »
i agree about photo download, have the same problem Myself.

belgianguy

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
A new day, another attempt, but still the same problem as yesterday.
Am happy to hear that I'm not the only one with this photo download problem.

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 08:06:55 AM »
Something else i noticed after editing the database explorer for the irish air corp Casa 235 to show the correct pictures (it originaly showed 2 different pictures belonging to the Bulgarian air force) it still shows the old pictures of the Sukhoi Su-25 but when you click the pic it loads the pictures i put in of the Irish air corp Casa. Its possible im not editing it right but it seems to work for aircraft that werent originaly in the database.

Can you just confirm that when you have got the correct photo you are "saving as" to the Photo area of RB 2008 and that you have named the file correctly for it to be picked up next time ? I change any wrong picutres externally from RB so that I can see that the only photo of the particular aircraft in the photos area is the one I want to show.

Best Regards

Mike

johnnyB

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 08:57:51 AM »
Can you just confirm that when you have got the correct photo you are "saving as" to the Photo area of RB 2008 and that you have named the file correctly for it to be picked up next time ? I change any wrong picutres externally from RB so that I can see that the only photo of the particular aircraft in the photos area is the one I want to show.

I edit inside RB through the database explorer, Under "LK" i put the new link to the picture i want to display from airliners and then delete the incorrect picture from inside the Data/photo folder. It works for new aircraft but dosent seem to when editing old aircraft.

Anything to do with Vista?

Cheers
Johnny

Allocator

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 11:22:25 AM »
JonnyB,

If you edit the link using Database Explorer, the you are only changing the picture that appears when you click on the thumbnail picture or if there is no picture, the "Photo not available" caption.  I think that the link only appears once the photo has been autopopulated by RB.

The problem with airframes.org is that it cannot match up a picture if the registration is unusual - say 264 - as there might be loads of pictures with 264 in the registration.  Something unique like G-EZBB is easy for airframes.org to find.

The way I correct the thumbnail picture, or add one if it's from another site, is to save a thumbnail picture (approx 200x150) to the /Data/Photos directory.  The photo names must be like this:

G-EZBB.jpg
G-EZBB,2.jpg

The ",2" is added to the name of the second photo.

EDIT:

I've just tested putting in a link to one of my photos on Flickr using Database Explorer, and it works OK.  This was for an aircraft with no picture on airliners.org G-BYXO G115. First I saved a thumbnail picture to /Photos, then I added the link to the full size picture on Flickr using Database Explorer.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 11:36:36 AM by Allocator »

johnnyB

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 03:03:36 PM »
I understand problems with simple regs, in this case it would have been 252 and there are probably loads that fit that number in airframes.org but i dont understand why i need to make a thumbnail.

Isnt RB suppose to do that once the link for the picture is there? When i added a new entry in the past and linked it to airliners it created a thumbnail of the pic i linked to.

cheers

Allocator

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 03:20:24 PM »
No idea I'm afraid, you might be right, but I've always done it the other way around - I only want the thumbnail, so I've never added the link to see if RB generates the thumbnail.

Maybe it's just the AirNav server playing up at the moment.

gpsranger

• storm chaser
    • Bicester Weather
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 08:52:12 AM »
I have the same problem it downloads the photos but does not display them except the odd one here and there using new radar box latest software downloaded and installed, but if I mouse over the Photo not available message and click it, it opens relevent website with aircraft photo, any ideas on fix or what I have not got ticked welcome