anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MyLog Housekeeping  (Read 6260 times)

Wayne

MyLog Housekeeping
« on: May 01, 2008, 06:15:14 PM »
Hi

Could someone just clarify for me what the difference is in the options MyLog | Tools | Delete Old Data and MyLog | Tools | Empty My Log Tables ?

I think the log file populates Mylog.db3 which eventually passes the same data to NavData.db3 and therefore everything received by my RB is written and saved securely - is this right

So after I have saved my log to a csv file and eventually excel and want to 'housekeep' the list in the log which of the two options do I choose ?

Thanks

Wayne

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: MyLog Housekeeping
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 06:44:10 PM »
Empty Log Tables gets rid of all records.

Delete Old Data gives you a "delete before date" option - I'd make a copy of your MyLog.db3 file in /Data just in case though!

Click the link below for a full size screenshot:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/2456800087_ef5b80fc3b_o.jpg

Wayne

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »
Thanks Allocator

Reason I asked was that I have noticed the initialisation process, which includes initialisation of MyLog.db3, takes longer on starting up RB and I wondered if that was anything to do with the number of records in the actual log file.

I am still a little unclear if the MyLog listing is actually 'a list' which can be cleared without impacting the database or is it a display of records directly from the database. I wouldn't delete anything if it is the latter.

Thanks if you can clarify this. The manual doesn't seem to cover this

Wayne

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 07:30:46 PM »
Wayne,

The records shown in MyLog are aircraft you have picked up "live" with your RadarBox.  The aircraft details are populated from the source RadarBox database - NavData.db3.  So deleting the MyLog records will not affect the source database.

Wayne

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »
Thanks - all done and dusted. I once ran some SQL against live data at work with a misplaced comma and I wasn't popular as you might expect. I am a little wary of these things now !

Thanks for your help

Wayne

Allocator

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 07:56:15 PM »
Yep, I know what you mean - just after my hard drive crashed last time, I said to myself "I really should have backed that up........"

As long as you make a copy of the MyLog.db3 and NavData.db3, then you can always restore your data.  I tend to make a copy of MyLog.db3 and name it something like MyLog.db3.20080501 - just as I did today before I tried the "Delete old Data" - lol

ChrisGR

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 10:14:55 AM »
A friendly question :)
Under  who circumstances is useful the log when it continues making these error registrations.

2795 flights for one aircraft ???
And believe me is not the only one.
We have some information for whether has been corrected the delay in the reception of same flight when this have not continuously reception?
With out this correction i think is half useful this log.

Chris

Hawkeye

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 08:25:43 PM »
Hi Allocator,

Regarding your posting about making copies of MyLog.db3 and NavData.db3, I've just looked in my Data folder and found that there is also a MyLog.db3.bak and a NavData.db3.bak file with only a few minutes difference in the date and time, both of them more or less the same size as the .db3 ones.
Are these automatically produced back up files and if so, is it necessary to make another one in a similar form to your suggestion above before deleting the MyLog tables?

regards.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 08:28:05 PM »
They are autoproduced but best to be on the safe side and make some copies yourself.

ChrisGR:

We are aware of that issue and trying to make the system more robust to aircraft transiting in reception from timeouts back to being tracked.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Wayne

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 04:50:59 PM »
Hello again

Just another question on this topic. The other day I actually used the Empty My Log tables option from within the MyLog function. At the time I was sure that was what I wanted to do and now I am not so sure ! Now I find RB is constantly trying to upload photos of aircraft some of which I am sure my RB will have received before.

I reckon I have cleared out everything I have ever logged via the box but it's not really that important to me. However, I checked the files in the data directory and find I have a mylog.db file of 16KB, and a .bak version of this at 676KB, similarly a navdata.db3 of 18132KB and a .bak version of this at 26850KB.

If I were to delete the .db files and rename the .bak files into place as .db files  would I be 'restoring' to what I had before the empty log tables ?

Apologies in advance to Allocator - you must be getting infuriated with this by now !

Allocator

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 08:34:42 PM »
Wayne, every question is a good question so don't worry about asking it :-)

I'm not saying that I know all the answers though!

You could try renaming the MyLog.bak to MyLog.db3 - although I would take a copy of your current MyLog.db3 and name it to something like MyLog.db3.ok

I don't know why your NavData.db3 is smaller than your NavData.bak, as I don't think that clearing the MyLog tables affects NavData - I'm guessing here.  Any renaming of the db3 files should be done with RB closed down.  It you want to be ultra safe, copy the whole /Data directory to your desktop, or somewhere else safe - just in case!

Allocator