anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AIRNAV box died/new box or Dongle ?  (Read 26352 times)

Runway 31

Re: AIRNAV box died/new box or Dongle ?
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2016, 10:31:28 PM »
I have just left Las Vegas and had been using my laptop with the NooElec stick and noted something strange.  My hotel overlooked the airport but I was only seeing aircraft on the ground and about a mile out on the approach.  I was expecting a lot better having tried it at home.   I had the antenna situated on the balcony giving it a clear view but was going out so moved it inside and suddenly my coverage went up from 20 to over 70 hits and a good distance out as well, coverage I had been expecting.

I presume this was RF interference which was causing the degrade and moving the antenna inside reduced the RF.  I am going to get the flightaware filter now for when I am out and about especially in the big cities where lots of RF interference is to be expected

Another thing I noted but nothing to do with the stick was the number of aircraft not showing a flight ID or an IATA/ICAO identifier or even had ADS-B.  A big difference to what we see in Europe.

Alan
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:37:14 PM by Runway 31 »

superspotter

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2016, 03:39:15 PM »
Hmm. It seems I like to inflict upon myself computer pain :)
Just bought the dongle 2+ thingy from Amazon, should be there when I get home. I have actually got two working Airnav boxes, this one with me now and a brand new one I bought before they disappeared. My reasoning in buying this dongle is purely down to trying at all times to reduce the "clutter" I carry with me around the world, never seems to work though! :)
regards clive.
My equipment: Airnav mobile antenna stuck outside of the highest hotel window available!
View my pictures at  http://www.flickr.com/photos/superspotter

superspotter

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2016, 02:30:37 PM »
Hi Guys;
OK, so having Mike.UTD be the guinea pig for this dongle, Hey up Mike, long time no see! I now have mine up and running perfectly with the minimum of fuss.
My question is, if I was now to plug the Airnav box in, will Airnav recognise which box/dongle I have plugged in automatically? Meaning, could I decide which one I wanted to use without having to fiddle again with drivers?
regards clive.
My equipment: Airnav mobile antenna stuck outside of the highest hotel window available!

Runway 31

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2016, 03:03:20 PM »
Hi Clive, yes the software will detect what is connected at start up and you will see this on the start up splash screen showing either RB1 or Micro

Alan

superspotter

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2016, 05:25:55 PM »
Cheers Alan though now there will be no need to cart the Airnav box around!
regards clive.