AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Messages Per Second  (Read 4146 times)

Wayne

Messages Per Second
« on: April 29, 2008, 07:32:42 PM »
Me again

Has anyone else noticed huge variations in the counts of messages per second ? I am seeing values as low as 141 immediatley increasing to values in ecxess of 300 and 400 and then plumetting again.

I am suspecting there is some hardware fault with my RB anyway but for example I have just seen a sequence of the following values in messages per second - 95, 53, 27, 184, 186, 214, 333 then an immediate drop to 0 at which point the Signal light goes out followed shortly by the USB light going out. Sometimes you can re-start the box processing by moving or clicking the cursor over the map area and sometimes the application goes into a Not Responding mode. Currently the power light is out but the box is obviously working. This has been happening for just over a week.

I have no other applications running and I do not use the recording facility. I have checked the SMA connection (after reading other topics) but to be honest the box rarely gets moved so I don't see this a cause. I have had this happen when at airports too.

The USB and Signal lights seem to fail after an exceptionally high mps rate followed immediately by a fall to a value of zero.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Messages Per Second
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:06:55 PM »
Firstly can you confirm you are using software 1.5?

Do not pay too much attention to the message numbers changing just an average number will give you an indication of the traffic around.

Can you run windows task manager while running RadarBox and tell us what CPU usage you are getting?

Sometimes its not the box but the computer being overloaded and then loosing connection to the RadarBox.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Wayne

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 09:15:04 PM »
Hi Support

Yes I am using 1.5 and currently CPU Usage is ranging between 8% and 54% and I have nothing else running. Will watch this in future.

Do you think I have a hardware problem with the RB ?

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 06:56:34 AM »
Morning

Update on this. Used RB this morning just before 05:30 and there were 4 flights listed in the grid and just two of them showing on the map. I had nothing else running and no recording and the message per second rate was constantly less than 15. The Signal and USB light were out when I went to check RB and the message count at 0. The power light was out too but that is the norm these days ! Checked CPU usage which is almost as erratic as the message count (I know you say not to read too much into this) and this was ranging between 7% and 55% but to be honest this means little to me.

The laptop I am using is mains connected, picking up a wifi internet connection but no browser session open, it's new, dual core intel whatever and I do nothing else on this laptop other than run RB. Confirm version 1.5 and this has been running perfectly since release and up to the last week and half and now all this starts.

I can't see that computer overload is a factor here. Any more ideas ?

Wayne

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 07:27:41 AM »
The power light should no go out. That either indicates there is a power saving is on on your laptop for USB devices or its not send it enough power.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Wayne

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 08:46:05 AM »
I suspect power saving for devices will be active as it will always be set that way on startup of the laptop. I assume that's standard practice fom an OS point of view and therefore should be the same on everyones' pc. I have not changed any power saving settings and even if I did they would be reset to defaults on next startup but the problem is constant. Maybe the power light is just a faulty LED.

The fact the USB and Signal lights are dead is a more worrying thing for me as I'm sure power is getting to the unit it just seems to be getting itself in a tangle over a very light processing load